AuthorTopic: 'Gas guzzlers' face parking hike  (Read 1019 times)

Offline schuee

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
'Gas guzzlers' face parking hike
« on: October 25, 2006, 23:17:03 »
There at it again  :cry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6082690.stm

I would like to know were all the money will go to, suprise suprise Red Ken thinks it an excellent idea and that other's should follow.

Offline C C

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 23:40:06 »
LA Green Party member Darren Johnson said: "It is right that polluting cars should pay more for parking and greener cars pay less.

"However, these big cars mustn't be allowed to ride up over the kerb and into front gardens as a way of escaping the local parking fee. All councils should be using their existing powers to restrict parking in front gardens."

Now we know.

Vindictive cow. :(bigangry):
C C

TD5 Disco.
Kawasaki ZZR600.

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 00:20:23 »
As quite a few have pointed out in their comments on the BBC site:

Vehicles don't produce any emissions when parked = FREE PARKING THEN!   :twisted:

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 01:02:17 »
Have any of you good folks read a book called The Aachen Memorandum?
I read it a few months ago and found it quite startling.
It is set in the not to distant future, 2045 I think where the UK no longer exists, but is divided into 'Regions' within a 'United States of Europe', where the USA is seen as the bad country.
The Royal Family no longer exists, although there is King William 1st of New Zealand.
All drugs have been legalised, and there are two types of Olympics, one for steroids and one without.
There is a bridge over the Channel.
All cars are environmentally sound, and only the 'Authorities' are allowed fossil fuel cars.
Napolean and Hitler are seen as the Great European thinkers, because they wanted a United Europe.
Waterloo Station has been re-named Jaques Delour Station.
Football is still played, but in a non-competative way. The singing of any National anthem is frowned upon, but is sung as a sign of the growing discontent of the 'masses'

I think you can see where I coming from on this. It may be a work of fiction, but it is quite scary.

Check it out.

How to resolve the issue of the anti 4x4 lobby? Not a clue. But I am certainly getting fed up with being called an environmental terrorist, a demonic driver and all the other cr*p this lot come out with.
Does Margeret Beckett get all this grief from her fellow MP's when she tows her caravan with her Range Rover? I think not.
I do not in any way advocate breaking the law, but we should encourage everyone we can to vote to get this high handed, self opinionated group of cotton wool wrapped hypocrits (correct spelling?) out of power.

Is it any wonder that people are leaving this country in droves?
Freedom of thought and speech?
MY A**E!

Offline discograham

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 01:07:37 »
Quote from: "Lord Shagg-Pyle"
I am certainly getting fed up with being called an environmental terrorist, a demonic driver and all the other cr*p this lot come out with...... etc

Top marks L.S-P.... :wink:
*The grave of Karl Marx is just another communist plot*
*Racial prejudice is a pigment of the imagination*
*Last Tuesdays meeting of the apathy society has just been cancelled*

HORNET
Disco 300tdi ES, Rebel steering guard, QT diff guards, QT cones, Pro-comp ES9000 shocks, 2" lift, Extended stops,  Safari snorkel, 33/12.50/15 Khumo's, Greenway light bar, Rock and tree sliders, nice new door seals and an empty wallet.

MKMC

www.crag-uk.org

www.northants-green-lane.co.uk

www.northants4x4.com

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 08:07:43 »
You know, I never actually knew that my car produced a shed load of emissions even when parked ...

what's more is I didn't realise that localised fluctuations in space time mean that,  if parked with the engine off in a congested city during rush hour it produces more carbon than when driving up a quiet motorway... apparently...

you know, if I were cynical, I'd start to think that all the recent attempts at "green tax" are focussing on the best ways of collecting revenue rather than attacking the problem itself.

Attack the problem, not the symptom.   We need a public transport system that provides a real alternative to driving a car,  we need a public school system which allows parents to find a standard of education that they are happy with within walking distance of where they live,  we need less media led hysteria about children being raped the moment they leave the house, we need a concerted effort to facilitate people living closer to work,  we need tax incentives to persuade people to walk to their work places.....

what we don't need is another blanket taxation on people leaving their cars at home...
--

Offline schuee

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 08:58:02 »
Quote from: "Lord Shagg-Pyle"
Have any of you good folks read a book called The Aachen Memorandum?
I read it a few months ago and found it quite startling.
It is set in the not to distant future, 2045 I think where the UK no longer exists, but is divided into 'Regions' within a 'United States of Europe', where the USA is seen as the bad country.
The Royal Family no longer exists, although there is King William 1st of New Zealand.
All drugs have been legalised, and there are two types of Olympics, one for steroids and one without.
There is a bridge over the Channel.
All cars are environmentally sound, and only the 'Authorities' are allowed fossil fuel cars.
Napolean and Hitler are seen as the Great European thinkers, because they wanted a United Europe.
Waterloo Station has been re-named Jaques Delour Station.
Football is still played, but in a non-competative way. The singing of any National anthem is frowned upon, but is sung as a sign of the growing discontent of the 'masses'

I think you can see where I coming from on this. It may be a work of fiction, but it is quite scary.

Check it out.

How to resolve the issue of the anti 4x4 lobby? Not a clue. But I am certainly getting fed up with being called an environmental terrorist, a demonic driver and all the other cr*p this lot come out with.
Does Margeret Beckett get all this grief from her fellow MP's when she tows her caravan with her Range Rover? I think not.
I do not in any way advocate breaking the law, but we should encourage everyone we can to vote to get this high handed, self opinionated group of cotton wool wrapped hypocrits (correct spelling?) out of power.

Is it any wonder that people are leaving this country in droves?
Freedom of thought and speech?
MY A**E!

=D>  =D>  =D>  =D>

Offline blade

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 09:06:03 »
all run on veggie oil lower emissions then we can park for less have road tax reduced!!!

i dont think so the goverment will sc**w us either way

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 09:13:53 »
The thing that irritates me more than anything is that it is always "4x4 gas guzzlers"

At what point did 4x4s become the only vehicles that produce exhaust emissions ?

The media seems to have bought into the propaganda that 4x4s are all evil, polluting vehicles, and that no vehicle could possibly have high emissions unless it is a 4x4.

Yes, we need to reduce our global emissions...   focusing on 4x4 owners has not, is not and will not help.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 09:42:54 »
i think if a study was properly carries out 4x4 probably dont produce as much pollution in a year as the average car. I for one dont do huge mileages and the people driving hundreds of miles a week rarely use a 4x4.
The trouble is that it makes people feel better about themselves when they can focus on someone else. What are most people doing about their carbon footprint? Nothing! The average is 9.3 tonnes mine is under 3.5......... foreign hols , get them banned? Not likely.
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 10:04:00 »
Quote from: "Bulli"
What are most people doing about their carbon footprint? Nothing! The average is 9.3 tonnes mine is under 3.5

There are a number of carbon footprint offset organisations going around. Some are commercial (BP) some seem more independant...

Try this one for starters.

http://www.carbonneutral.com/cncalculators/travelcalculateLg.asp

Be nice to be able to point out the sticker to rabid environmentalists... esecially Toyota Prius drivers that DON'T offset the cost of the disposal of the exotic batteries after 5 years!

:lol:

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 10:17:50 »
i dont see anywhere in that article that it points the finger at 4x4s, it just says gaz guzzlers. and it uses the renault espace as an example of a band G vehicle.
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Guardian.

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 10:28:22 »
JUST A GOOD JOB WE ALL HAVE LOADSA MONEY THEN INIT!
MUST HAVE AS WE HAVE 4X4's

Offline Horness

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 10:45:36 »
Quote from: "Skibum346"

http://www.carbonneutral.com/cncalculators/travelcalculateLg.asp

This site was appeared on the Discovery Owners Club forum while MC was offline..

Quote from: "Horness"

I did the test, and I "owe" £19.33.  I use approx 1500 litres, and £1350 of fuel a year.
That £19.33 is 1.432% of my yearly usage.  On 1 litre (90p) that's 1.35p

I am sure the Government could afford 1p from every litre of fuel, or even if we added 1p to the price, but it meant we were ALL doing our bit, and the Government looks like it's trying to make the country CO2 Neutral.
Every driver automatically pays for it when they fill up, so there is no opt-in opt-out option, and everyone benefits.

What's the point of all the low mileage 4x4 drivers who are willing to become CO2 neutral subscribing to this, when the high mileage petrol heads in their Jags, Subaru's, BMW's etc. don't give a toss?

This is assuming of course this is not just another way to get money out of guilty drivers. :twisted:

Just my thoughts.

Horness

I still stand by that.  I'm happy to do my bit, but why should 4x4 owners be penalised.  ALL cars polute, so we should ALL be doing our bit.  Put it on the pumps, and give me a bloody big sticker.  :wink:

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 10:51:54 »
my disco produces .7 of a tonne...im goin gto pay it and get a huge sticker.......something like "im carbon neutral so kiss my butt greepeace."
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline Horness

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 10:55:00 »
Quote from: "Bulli"
my disco produces .7 of a tonne...im goin gto pay it and get a huge sticker.......something like "im carbon neutral so kiss my butt greepeace."

Your Disco produces less emissions than the local curry house on all-you-can-eat buffet night.  :lol:

Offline Sooty

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 12:36:28 »
Quote from: "ian_s"
i dont see anywhere in that article that it points the finger at 4x4s, it just says gaz guzzlers. and it uses the renault espace as an example of a band G vehicle.

The original report may not mention 4x4 but on Radio 2 yesterday they were discussing this and referred all the time to "4X4 Gas Guzzlers", this is the problem.
That makes a Fiat Panda 4X4 a gas guzzler and a Bentley Continental not.
I don't think so.
Also why are electric cars free? it makes no difference if the carbon emotions come out of the exhaust pipe of the car or out of the chimney of the power station when it produces the electric, it is still carbon emotion to power a vehicle.
If some of these so called Green Peace people had one brain cell it would be an only child. :roll: :roll:
Too Much Tarmac
Cheers Bev
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/sooty/
Discovery V8
Discovery 300tdi
Range Rover V8Efi

Offline LCW11

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 13:33:21 »
:(thinkhard): The money will probably go to some fat politition Who sits behind a desk drives a jag. ......

We are being robbed.... :(bigangry):

The worst part off it...we put up with it.
New. Sony Mobile Phone Speakers and Blue tooth head set for sale £25 for both
---------------------------------------------------
The Adventure is were your wheels take you

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 13:39:40 »
Looking at the breakdown of charges... I can't help wonder if the next time a local ellection comes round..... this will be an issue.

Some fairly average cars seem to be getting affected by the higher charges so that means a BIG chunk of the community are gonna be pretty [!Expletive Deleted!]!

Can't wait to see democracy in action!

Skibum

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal