AuthorTopic: V8 misfire and backfiring  (Read 724 times)

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
V8 misfire and backfiring
« on: October 17, 2006, 16:23:36 »
Hi all

Put a replacement V8 (3.5) into the 110 and got it running good enough to use on a laning trip on Sunday. All was well right through the day until near the end when it developed an irregular misfire under acceleration. Not like a burnt valve or similar where it gives a regular misfire, but just poping and banging under load.

I gave up and headed home, but it got progressively worse. It ended up backfiring like crazy by the time I got back. Only under load. Part throttle or overrun was fine.

It now runs like a bag of nails even without load, just revving it.

Dizzy hasn't slipped. Carbs don't appear to be flooding. Runs at a nice temperature and idles beautifully. No signs of arcing in the dizzy cap and I've checked it in the dark to look for fireworks in the ignition system.

It's running with a boxer manifold and 4x 1.75" HIF 44 SU carbs. Managed to get them quite nicely balanced on Saturday and all seems to be fine with them still.

The dizzy is the electronic type with the little module on the side. I am running the correct coil for this.

I'll look at it later in the week, but wondered if anyone had any pointers as to what to look for. I think I'll pull the plugs first to see if they are all even colour and maybe run a CR check although I don't think it's a CR problem as I said earlier.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal