AuthorTopic: Rover V8 > Suzuki SJ  (Read 5160 times)

Offline Lash13

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rover V8 > Suzuki SJ
« on: October 16, 2006, 22:55:12 »
Hi Guys, Apart from my introduction speech, this is my first post here, so I thought I'd start with a really silly question! I'm a bit of a Rover V8 engine fanatic and having built a couple successfully I absolutely love 'em. They're just so straightforward to work on and they sound great.
Thing is my Landy is just too big and I'm looking for something small but just as basic and tough as the Series 3. I have always liked the look of the early Suzuki SJ's, they've got something very 'Landy' about them. So I had this idea to put a newly built Rover V8 engine (Currently sitting on bench in workshop) into a Suzuki SJ.

First question...is it possible? Secondly has anyone done this, and if so, whats involved?

I need to gain as much knowledge on this as possible before I commit to the project so any advice would be much appreciated...

Cheers Lee

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Rover V8 > Suzuki SJ
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 23:02:44 »
Hi lee
1st off welcome
2nd the job you want to do is very long and hard
1st ur have to use a shortened RR or LR chassis as the suzuki one just wont take to grunt or the size also u wont find any suzuki axles that will hold the power either so a complete rollin chassis is needed.
also to fit the v8 into the sj engine bay the inner wings need to be taken out and the bulk head moved about 5" if i remember
im sure there are other bits but ill have to ask my m8 asi cant remember
------------------------------------------------------------------------
on another note i do no of a 3.9derv'd sj up for sale dunno if you feel that wud be better ??
recently built but house sale forces sale

simon

Offline Lash13

Attack Member
Rover V8 > Suzuki SJ
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 23:22:38 »
Thanks for the reply Simon... It sounds like I'm biting off more than I can chew!  It also sounds like you end up making a RangeRover with an SJ shell on it. I might be better off selling the V8 motor, and concentrating on a different engine for an SJ project or building a bobtail Range Rover!
What you have said is very interesting though. What I really want to make is a really basic, light off road (but road worthy) vehicle with a V8 in it!

cheers Lee

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Rover V8 > Suzuki SJ
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 09:08:57 »
Surely you might be easier starting from scratch or picking a bigger donor veichle?

Mits Pajero Jr or Pinnin?
I'm sure the same applies to a Vit too, although I'm sure (Simon will tell me if I'm wrong) the Vit is wider.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
Rover V8 > Suzuki SJ
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 09:17:07 »
The zook chassis'll take it, they stuff v6's and 8's in em in the states.
If youre worried about stiffness, cage it as well, adds loads to the stiffness.
The axles may well show up a weakness. What the hell, good chance to chuck Toyota axles underneath and a coil conversion.
Transfer case is....well......maybe up to the job. better if you get a tranny case bucket, or support, to help stiffen its casings.
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline winchman

Attack Member
Rover V8 > Suzuki SJ
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 10:37:02 »
Its easy
1 Buy a tatty Range Rover v8
2 buy a tatty SJ
3 Weight the Range rover body in
4 Fit the SJ body to whats left of the Range Rover
5 Hey Presto a V8 SJ in a weekend
The few I have seen look fab
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Rover V8 > Suzuki SJ
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 11:49:55 »
the only issuse with chopping a RR chassis is that if you want it road worthy you will have to get it sva'd as you will be shortening the wheel base
if you were to find a 88" or similer with recipt that it was done prior to 1998 i think it is it will run a standard mot as this if i remember is the cut off point for sva tests,
as winchman says they do look great if done right ill try find couple of pix of the one my m8 built tonight as im on works pc at mo

simon

Offline bailey

Attack Member
Rover V8 > Suzuki SJ
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 16:30:12 »
the engine will fit but nly problem is will have to make some new exhaust manifolds to clear the chassis rails so they dont fowl....
89 blue zook samurai 416: rear coils 32s and 40 inches of flex and a few more little mods

2001 blue jimny
differant coloured panels, 3 inch lift, 30inch machos,trimmed arches, front and back solid bumpers,snorkel,

Offline wheelspinner

Attack Member
Rover V8 > Suzuki SJ
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 18:37:12 »
See here the yanks make it sound so easy

http://www.suzukiconversion.com/conversion.htm#
Owner of a full  size 1000 piece Suzuki jigsaw....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal