AuthorTopic: STEERING PLAY  (Read 1047 times)

Offline LCW11

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
STEERING PLAY
« on: October 14, 2006, 21:49:14 »
Never having a series before i have no idea if it ment to be like this :shock:
its very scarey :shock:  when driving its hard work to keep the vehicle in a straight line .
if this is some thing normal can it be improved  my and way eg. steering damper new steering rack???

cheers LEE
New. Sony Mobile Phone Speakers and Blue tooth head set for sale £25 for both
---------------------------------------------------
The Adventure is were your wheels take you

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
STEERING PLAY
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 00:13:15 »
Try adjusting the steering box (inside the O/S front wing) slacken the locknut - from memory I think a 24mm spanner fits it - and then turn the other nut with the square head clockwise, but dont over do it as it will wreck the internals of the box :wink: . Check all ball joints for any free play whilst someone 'waggles' the steering. Also check the bolts top and bottom of the steering relay where it sits in the front crossmember and the bolts on both splined shafts of the relay :wink:  Hope that helps a bit - and let us know how you get on :wink:

P.S. also check tyre pressures

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
STEERING PLAY
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 00:42:04 »
I'll second the tyre pressure bit, one of mine was 60lb when it should have been 25 ish. As Andy says, try the steering box, that is likely to help. There is a lot to the steering but it's not anything over technical, common sense is what you need with a Land Rover. I'm in Telford, and although no expert have had a few years experience of 'the Land Rover way' if you need any help.
Spacemud misses his Land Rovers :o(

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
STEERING PLAY
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 00:43:17 »
Just remember the vehicle is never going to steer like a modern car.  It's an old design, such accurate steering was not a priority back in those days.  :wink:

Offline LCW11

Attack Member
STEERING PLAY
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 08:51:47 »
:(scared): Thanks Guys will have a look and those NUTS and BOLTS and Waggles and let you know if it is better,

LEE

BULL BAR IN PHOTO FOR SALE I ALSO HAVE A SERIES GEAR BOX
BELIVED TO BE A RECON UNDER 50HRS USE ON A TRAILER...PM
ME WITH INTERESTS. AND MAYBE THE TRUCK CAB
New. Sony Mobile Phone Speakers and Blue tooth head set for sale £25 for both
---------------------------------------------------
The Adventure is were your wheels take you

Offline Rustyrover

Attack Member
STEERING PLAY
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 09:43:20 »
I think I'd check the steering ball joints too - get a pry-bar and give them a good shove.  Also, grab a willing assistant and ask them to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth whilst you lie underneath - you'll be able to see where the play is.  It only takes a small amount of play in each joint to make the whole thing feel really unsafe - luckily the repair parts are pretty cheap.

As has been said above though, you're talking about a design that about 40 years old so most folks just get used to it  :wink:

8)  RR

Offline Robbo

Attack Member
STEERING PLAY
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 18:03:16 »
its that rule of 3 again, if its moving more than 3 inches its too much  :( and fiddle, if tyre pressure ok..ie the amount marked on the tyre,-probably in the 25-30 range, and your steering wheel is moving less than 3 then its definitely a landrover thing! :lol:
Daisy SWB series 3 station wagon, 1975 and pretty in mud

Eat a live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal