AuthorTopic: Think I have had a bit of luck for once!  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Spacemud

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Rhoose
  • Referrals: 0
Think I have had a bit of luck for once!
« on: October 06, 2006, 11:35:37 »
Last night I came across an ad in ASDA for a Land Rover for sale for £350, so just had to take a look just in case it was worth buying. Well, it's not got an MOT but looks to have had lots of work done in the past (chassis welding, etc), panels look pretty straight, interior is tidy (for a Land Rover), it starts and drives and It's TAX EXEMPT!!! HPi'd it and that checks out. Needless to say, I'm in quite a happy mood today  :D

It's a 1971 car with the headlights on the wings, but dials in the centre of the car as with the series two's. Would that mean it is likely a series 2a, or could it be a series 3?
Spacemud misses his Land Rovers :o(

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 13:02:36 »
It sounds like a late series IIA. the chassis number would tell what it is. the first 3 numbers would be good, if you don't want to tell the whole world.
Maybe a piccy would help too.  :)
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 16:37:33 »
Does the dash/bulkhead look like this?  If it does, then it's probably a late 2A.  Mine has lights in the wings as well, as the lights were moved from the grill to the wings in 1967 to comply with up coming UK legislation and also to comply with export requirements.

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 12:37:55 »
What's the chassis suffix?

Ours is a 1971 Series IIa (registered August), H suffix, though we've got a Series III dash, and series III bulkhead, unless it's just the door hinges.
Not sure what gearbox we've got, as got a different engine anyway, so gearbox may not be original, it does have synchro on 3rd & 4th only though.

Do you have the Series IIa 'proud' door hinges, look like gate hinges, or you have the Series III plate style?
Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 14:00:46 »
Yes, has the proud hindges, and a series two dash. Where is the chassis number positioned?

Didn't get much time on it at the weekend but have a couple of rad pipes to go on tonight, and I did charge the battery and up the tickover at the weekend. Also gave it a quick hoover out.

I took some photo's at the weekend so will try to get them on my profile later.

Offline SixPot

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 14:34:32 »
to find the chassis number on the vehicle you can look in two places. It should have a plate in the cab in the dash on the right hand side of the steering wheel. But it might have been moved elsewhere or just gone missing.

It can also be found on the drivers side front dumbiron IF it hasn't been replaced at some point and you can remove years of crud and paint to find it.

It will also be on the V5 but DVLA are not infallable and often make mistakes (like insisting my 6 cylinder is a 4 cylinder even after I inform them :x )

cheers
Ben
1970 One Ton 2.6L
1967 109"  2.6L basic
1967 109" 2.6L Dormobile
1966 88" 2.25L Petol
1954 86" 2L Petrol

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
Yur tis.........
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 20:46:09 »
I'm guessing it is a 2a from what has been said, can someone confirm? Haven't got around to looking for the chassis number yet.

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 21:33:12 »
That's most definately a Series 2A dash, a late one at that, just as in my photo I linked to earlier in this topic. ;)

Although the vehicle you have there has had a Series 3 grill fitted...

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 21:47:22 »
Ours also has a Series III grill fitted.

I was wondering if they just threw whatever they had left together towards the end of Series IIa production...

You're lucky having the IIa door hinges and dash, ours just looks like a tax exempt Series III :( At least we know the difference.
Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 21:49:50 »
I'd say you got a good deal there.  I'd have gone for it anyway!
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 22:37:39 »
Thanks all! Really enjoying my new Landy, reminds me a lot of my old Moggy Van, both very much 'nut and bolt' vehicles.

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 22:42:45 »
Quote from: "Bob Ajob"
Ours also has a Series III grill fitted.

I was wondering if they just threw whatever they had left together towards the end of Series IIa production...

A lot of the late Series 2A vehicles had Series 3 grills fitted in an attempt to "modernise" them and have them carry the resale value of a Series 3, as the Series 3 was all "Wow!  New Model!" back then when it was not much diffferent from the 2A model.

Don't rule out that a PO may have fitted the S3 bulkhead, and there is also the possibility that you have a S3 posing as a S2A if they swapped the chassis number around.  :wink:

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 23:43:05 »
Yes, I'm expecting that a bit of mixing and matching has gone on in the past, but whilst I like originality, this is going to be my daily commuting transport, so it isn't overly important. What I am looking forward to is turning up in the office car park with my scruffy old Land Rover and parking it next to all those supposed status symbols that will be changed within a year or so  :wink:  :wink:

I would actually like to put an old 'corrugated' grille on mine, so something else to add to the 'soup'................anyone got one spare?

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 23:46:22 »
Looks like you found a good'un. :)

Its definately got a 2A bulkhead.

There are a few other differenced between the 2A's and 3 - The clutch slaves were in different places and thus the bell housings differed and the chassis slightly. How is the clutch slave mounted on your truck? (unless it has been changed or they changed over for late 2A's). I know i had to get the grinder out to make a series 3 gearbox fit in my 2A chassis!.

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 13:46:24 »
It has all the signs that it is a IIA. and it even looks like the IIA front panel too. even though i'm not sure.

The Vin number should be where ben says it is. The dash looks like a petrol one so the VIN would go along the lines of 241.........X Where x is the suffix letter.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 14:29:40 »
Well from the plate near the steering wheel it's a 241xxxxxH, which I understand from the series 2 owners site, confirms that it is definitely a petrol 2a, with the 'H' standing for '5 or more modifications'. This, I guess, would tie in with it having the wing mounted headlights, etc.

By the way, I adjusted the steering box last night to take the play out of it, plus checked the tyre pressures. One was pumped up to over 60lb's! They are now all down to 25lb. Those two pieces of maintenance, which took about 20 minute all together have made a massive difference to the steering.  :)

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 16:06:18 »
Yep 241.........H so it's a basic petrol SWB home market RHD. and built in 1971 and was part of the last batch of series IIA's.
I have a 241.........G and that was built in jan 1971.

The wing mounted headlights were brought in 1968. to comply with overseas lighting regulations, and being a major factor of the land rover export market, so they put the lights in the wings, UK ledgislation was to follow.

Being a H suffix means that it is very late IIA and you might be the lucky enough to have the all syncro gearbox (commonly called the Series 3 box) as they were fitted then prior to the Series 3 being introduced later on that year.
Rowan.

dew1911

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 17:24:19 »
On the export bit, you got some of the odd ones with "bug eye" style lights like the one below. I assume that was just a temp measure until they designed something better

Offline Robbo

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 21:45:28 »
try putting your vin number into this site!!! just found it via

www.series123.com

......its very clever 8)
Daisy SWB series 3 station wagon, 1975 and pretty in mud

Eat a live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 10:21:16 »
Robbo, I'm being a bit dense, can you point me to the relevant section?

Good site though!

Offline Robbo

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 17:51:37 »
Quote from: "Spacemud"
Robbo, I'm being a bit dense, can you point me to the relevant section?

Good site though!

I think I may of put the wrong link in....sorry..... :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

try this from there !!!

http://www.clifton.nl/calvin.html

sorry again :oops:  :oops:  :smack:
Daisy SWB series 3 station wagon, 1975 and pretty in mud

Eat a live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal