Offline disco-v8

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2" lift
« on: October 06, 2006, 10:37:08 »
ok ive decied its time for me to get my 2inch lift kit for my disco

now the only proplem is which to get and where from????

i need the extended brake lines, and bump stops and most proberly the dislocating cones but alot of kits downt come with these

im looking at not just getting a 2inch lift but to have the extra articlication for better off road use

not to sure if i my need anyother parts so if any one can help then please do
I LOVE MUD!!!!!! but my engine doesnt

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
2" lift
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 12:21:53 »
How flush are you with money to do this lift?
You could do it in stages ie, get the spring, shocks & brake lines first and then see if you need the rest.
If you buy it all as a kit then you're limiting yourself to the likes of Bearmach springs and Procomp Shocks, not there is anything wrong with them as that's what I've fitted.  :wink:

OME springs & shocks are very good and can be matched to what you want your vehicle to do, but they cost a wee bit more and the main companies don't do them as a complete upgrade kit.

MM 4x4 do kits from the basic springs & shocks to kits that include cranked radius & trailing arms, if you really want to go that far.

Paddock Spares is another place that do kits with cones etc.

If you're thinking of getting larger tyres then make sure the +2" lift is going to be enough. If you want to add things like a winch bumper, side bar and H/D rear bumper then you need to make this clear when ordering as the spring ratings will need to cope with this extra weight.
You can get the standard +2" lift but the front spings will drop by about an inch if you add a winch & winch bumper.  :wink:

Have a search through the Disco forum as there are loads of threads that have all the info you need.  :D

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
2" lift
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 13:48:02 »
Just as an aside, I've bought some new dampers for the LSE, as it has EAS they should be standard length, they aren't, they are about +2", so if anyone needs longer front dampers on the cheap, there you go :)

P.S. I have 2 pairs spare now :wink:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline scouse lanny

Attack Member
2 inch lift
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 14:09:27 »
i have found out the wasting money way if u ar putting a 2 inch lift on it u will b better gettin 4 inch shocks or less gives a lot more travel than 2 inch and u will end up getting them 3 months down the line when your wheels a still comin of the ground  :lol:
kevin walsh

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
2" lift
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 17:27:08 »
I have to do something like this soon as my disco shocks n springs are very wollowy and droopy. My disco sits lower than my mates and he needs new springs. also bottoming out on the bump stops over speed bumps with 15gallons of water in the boot (in containers of course) cant be good.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline BigGreen

Attack Member
2" lift
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 21:26:59 »
I've just done a 2" on mine, got pro-comp shocks and bearmach 2" heavy duty springs for £200 , my old springs where that tired that it has nearly given me 3" lift, as for dislocation cones a mate of mine told me to zip tie the top of the sping into the mount. First time i have tried it in anger today at briercliff seemed to work fine, untill i tried swimming in a V8!! Then tried removing the gas tanks from the sills with no tools (they are a pain in the arse !)
1991 tdi 200 (Slowly being rebuilt)
1991 V8i LPG @35.5 ppl
2" Bearmach Springs
Pro Comp Shocks
1998 Muzzy Racing ZX9-10R

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
2" lift
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 22:14:57 »
Quote from: "BigGreen"
...as for dislocation cones a mate of mine told me to zip tie the top of the sping into the mount.

If you're going to use this route then you're safer using jubilee clips and not zip-ties as your putting the weight of the axle and spring on the zip-ties and the jubilee clips will hold.
Also, make sure that the bottom securing plate that holds the spring to the axle is in good condition as I've seen these fold under the weight of the axle, then the spring dislocates from the axle end and you come down with a bit of bump!!  :wink:

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: 2 inch lift
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 18:29:29 »
Quote from: "scouse lanny"
i have found out the wasting money way if u ar putting a 2 inch lift on it u will b better gettin 4 inch shocks or less gives a lot more travel than 2 inch and u will end up getting them 3 months down the line when your wheels a still comin of the ground  :lol:

Only pronlem ther is that anything longer than +2" is likely to bottom out before your car sits on the bump stops.  just so you know.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline disco-v8

Attack Member
2" lift
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 01:59:54 »
im after a 2inch lift which also gives a good articulation, not just a lift with out extra travel.....

whats the best place or kit to look at????
I LOVE MUD!!!!!! but my engine doesnt

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
2" lift
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 02:04:52 »
Well you definitely want longer dampers, even with stock springs you will get better droop.

For a RRC I'd suggest Red/Whites as these are really soft compared to my 2" lift.  Before anyone says they don't give you a lift please explain what's happened to RRR then? I fitted red/whites and a set of 200TDi fronts (blue I think, or was it green?) and it's as high up as Blue with a full on 2" lift, just more supple.

Offline Tyke

Attack Member
2" lift
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 13:12:52 »
You can get the standard +2" lift but the front spings will drop by about an inch if you add a winch & winch bumper

That I know all about . . . . after adding the winch bumper, tank guard and other 'scrap iron' the whole plot sunk like a stone.

Since then I've gone to +40mm heavy duty rears with +30mm heavy duty fronts and the whole plot sits and runs taller and much smoother than the 'standard' +2" lift with the extra weight ever did.

Still thinking of going up a bit more to fit the bigger 33's but at the moment the whole plot works great on the lanes and handles very well on the road.

Moral is to get your springs rated to carry whatever you intend to hang on the chassis later . . . otherwise you will just end up doing it all again . . . as many, including me, have found out to our expense  :oops:
----------------------------------

KEEPING IT REAL - KEEPING IT BRITISH

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
2" lift
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 15:35:21 »
so what are you going to do with all the springs etc you have on ay the moment? Are you going to sell them? How old are they etc? I know somone who maybe interested :wink:
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal