AuthorTopic: Rust - should I worry ?  (Read 4326 times)

Offline Kenny

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rust - should I worry ?
« on: September 26, 2004, 12:36:14 »
I am in the process of preping the car for painting. Whilst doing this I noticed a couple of rust holes under the wing mirror on the upright that the door attaches to.

It all seem pretty solid apart from these spots.

As the wing is off I have squirted loads of Waxoyl inside this section and have rubbed down and applied rust convertor on the outside, then filled with body filler and then undercoat with rust protection.

Should I be worried about my Bulkhead ? The car is a 1989 model.

Cheers

Damian
Animal, ex BT Land Rover ninety
http://www.my90.co.uk

Too many bits too list..........

Offline Sharpshooter

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rust - should I worry ?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 13:13:02 »
When i had my 1984 110 apart to change the chassis, the bulkhead looked intact from the outside. But when i got that far i noticed it was shot. I bought a nearly new one from craddocks and fitted that. You can see the pics in my gallery. I wouldnt worry too much if they are small holes, as the strenght for the doors is obvoiusly still there, or your doors would sag. The other bit to go is the top corners by the vents, and the bottoms of the 'A' Pillar where your doors bolt on. It all depends on weather you want to strip half the car down to change the bulkhead, or cover the rust and wait till it goes completely. I wouldnt paint it though, as if the rust has started, it is very difficult to stop it, But just slow it down a little. If you need any advice on the Bulkhead Change, just give me a shout... :D  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal