AuthorTopic: I thought I had better ask before I break something....  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Manicminer

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
I thought I had better ask before I break something....
« on: October 01, 2006, 13:59:59 »
I'm trying to take off the crank pulley on my Izusu with no success. The bolt is tight and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm turning it the right way :oops: At the moment I'm turning it anti-clockwise. I had a bar through the propshaft with it's end on the floor to stop the engine turning and I've bent it.

So here goes, which way should I be turning it?
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 14:09:31 »
Ive never worked on an isuzu, but all the crank pulleys i have ever done have been normal thread like you are trying (so left=loosen).
They have also been incredibly tight! What are you using to undo it? My car needed a powerbar with a 6 foot scaffold pole on it with me jumping on the end..
with my landy diesel i had to get my mate to take the block and crank to work with him where it took 2 guys and an air driven ratchet and i think they wedged it under the wheels of a truck or something to stop the block moving!.

Can you get a big screwdriver/crowbar on the teeth on the flywheel to wedge it? Leave the car in gear too as you then have the compression of the engine helping you.

Offline Manicminer

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 14:20:12 »
I have the motor in gear with the wheels chocked and a 4ft bar on the crank pulley bolt and the motor was still moving, so I put a bar through the yoke on the prop to help keep the motor from moving and it just bent it.

I was wondering whether it just had a lot of locktite on or was it a left hand thread.

Hmm....... maybe I should tie it to the gatepost with a strap :-k
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 14:25:48 »
Quote from: "Manicminer"
I
I was wondering whether it just had a lot of locktite on or was it a left hand thread.

I reckon its just FT :)

Hmm....... maybe I should tie it to the gatepost with a strap :-k

Try a scaffold bar over your bar too.

You could always try wedging it against the body/chasss and cranking the starter! Ive never been brave enough for that but seen it suggested!  :lol:

Offline winchman

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 16:46:17 »
Mate just took one off a Merc and gave up and bought the engine locking tool from the dealer came off no problem with that but was tight.
Impact gun is best if you can fit it in
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 16:52:35 »
:D I couldn't get mine of and i couldn't wedge it tight enough, so borrowed me mates brakedown van with compressor on it 1" airgun did it instantly!!
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline Jas278

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 17:35:59 »
If you can get in ,put a socket and bar on the nut , wedge it under the chassis ,then crank the engine (turn the key), this usually works , be careful it does nt spit the bar out ............

Discovery TD5......Tricked Up..

Offline Manicminer

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 17:40:53 »
It came off eventually :roll: (with the help of a scaffold pole)
The problem now it's bucketing it down and I can't be bothered getting wet :roll:

I needed to take the pulley off to get the timing belt cover off to change the water pump. Since it's off I might as well change the timing belt.

Sod it, I shall use my car for going to work tomorrow.

Offline snezza69

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 18:41:21 »
Sounds like you earned yourself a beer!
Snezza69

I wish this project would just hurry up and finish!

But I don't think it will if I keep making simple mistakes

Offline karloss

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 00:52:04 »
Quote from: "Jas278"
If you can get in ,put a socket and bar on the nut , wedge it under the chassis ,then crank the engine (turn the key), this usually works , be careful it does nt spit the bar out ............

For gods sake disconect something to stop it starting if your going down this route. It works every time but it's not something you want going wrong!!!!
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal