AuthorTopic: thinking of buying a cherokee  (Read 1959 times)

Offline treegeek1978

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
thinking of buying a cherokee
« on: September 26, 2006, 17:23:49 »
hi guys and girls, i've been looking at cherokees and don't know anything about them. i've seen this one
http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/classicdd.cfm?Account=AETA18731&VehicleID=AETV969060&Photo=http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/is/remotemanaged/AETA18731/AETV969060_1a.jpg

is this gonna be any good? i called him and it's got 80000 miles on it. is it gonna be worth buying? what do i need to look at?
i remain unvanqished

Offline cherokeegraham

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 20:05:21 »
Yea looks good, but I would go for a 4.0 petrol. You can pick one up dirt cheap, they've got so much more power and torque, and what you save on buying it, you can spend on petrol and mods!
Jeep Cherokee 4.0 limited. 3-4" lift, 31" Super Swampers, safari snorkel, bonnet mounted Hi-Lift jack, rock sliders, diff guard, TC guard, , Pro-comp ES9000 shocks, roof mounted spots, extended braided brake line, Prothane suspension bushes, lots of MUD!!!

'61 Land Rover Series 2 88" Ex Military. x 2 (half share)

FoDRoW member.

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 22:30:45 »
Looks tidy..4 pots are Ok but the 4 litres do the business

Have a look what else is out there XJ wise  and formulate which models you like eg petrol 2.5 or 4 litre or diesel....

Colours not the best in Jeepland but its ahem a good buying point...

That said if its local..try and push seller down to close on 2K....using the Its not a 4 litre argument..
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline tim_aka_tim

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 11:51:17 »
I'm with these guys, go for a 4 litre if possible. The diesel will use less fuel, but its noisy, unreliable and unrefined. Also, it's not so economical as you'd think and *when* it goes wrong (not *if*), it will cost a small fortune to fix.
The 4.0 petrol is virtually bombproof, and so is it's AW4 auto transmission. The 2.5 is ok, but nearly as thirsty as the 4.0. Also, the 2.5 is only available in 'sport' spec, so you miss out on the aircon, auto, leather and cruise found on 'limited' spec 4.0s.
Look out for rust underneath, if there's any, walk away, there's loads to choose from. Also, on a diesel in particular, check the oil filler cap for signs of a blown head, the 2.5TD is notorious for it, regardless of year . In fact, don't touch a VM that's not a CRD. The head gaskets don't go, they're fine - it's the head that cracks (and they don't have just one head!)

skip

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 18:24:03 »
Get a 4.0 litre that's been converted to gas! It will be cheaper to run than a diesel. The 2.5 petrol versions do have a stonger back axle though. any whines from the backend it's best to find another. pre 97 4.0 litres have a limited slip diff in the back axle as well, it can wear and minifests itself as a clunking/grinding, these can be fixed without to much outlay as the clutch plates can be changed without having to remove the diff. just get £200 knocked off the asking price. Pre 97 diesels are a big NO NO, they had serious reliability problems with heads cracking and blown head gaskets, and with a separate head for each cylinder, nuff said. post 97 diesels are much improved.
Hope this helps.
Skip

mattyme

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 00:23:49 »
whatever you do.... its got to be a petrol 4 ltr straight 6!!!

awesome motors!! i was the only one at drumclog this year and i certainly turned some heads!! hehe

Offline LCW11

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 13:03:42 »
Diesels do about 27mpg....My last Cherokee 4.0 P reg was doing 20mpg...
I must say it is so tempting 2 go for a extra 7 mpg BUT the 4.0 lt are great and  Bomb proof.
I also have been thinking of another cherokee as there are so many around now and cheep and i guess a good chance of discount as the fear of the dreaded HIGHER TAX that may be comeing as i understand it doesnt matter if its a 2.0 lt diesel or a 4.8 petrol the tax will still be high as its 4x4 that are been targeted,

Pleanty out there be choosee and haggle they are not selling.....WHY :roll:  I will never no best 4x4 on the road

HAPPY SEARCHING

LEE
New. Sony Mobile Phone Speakers and Blue tooth head set for sale £25 for both
---------------------------------------------------
The Adventure is were your wheels take you

Offline barttheguinnessguy

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 00:31:19 »
We have a ’96 2.5 TD with 126,000 on the clock and it has never missed a beat. We are, however, massively jealous of our 4 litre cousins when we see them off road. There really is no substitute for that huge amount of torque.  :shock:

Petrol or oil burner, there is a HUGE amount of choice of cars for sale out there, and at the moment they are going for silly money. Whatever you go for if there aint no service history, or if its rusty underneath then WALK AWAY. You will find a better one!!! (And on a personal note, I would always buy from a private seller. Cut out the middle man.) :wink:

So, why do we run a Diesel if we like the big petrol ones then? Simple. In the summer, we run it on 80% veg oil and 20% Derv with absolutely no engine mods. Fuel at half the price, and it runs quieter, and it has more power, and your exhaust smells like a donut shop!  :D
Roughing it smoooothly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal