AuthorTopic: Thumping auto box  (Read 340 times)

Offline muddyjames

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Thumping auto box
« on: September 22, 2006, 19:55:39 »
occasionaly when I go from park or neutral and into drive it thumps into 1st gear. another time it does it is when i have my grizzly claws on and i just drive off from starting theengine it will be in 2nd and will rev really high and wont change gear then again thump into 3rd and off we go again. after that it is fine. the heavier the load eg towing a trailer the less it thumps. it doesnt thump into gear every time. it is just the odd occasion.

also when I first start the engine and put it into D and drive off it is really really slow and takes a few seconds to build up speed. a mate said put it into D with hand brake on whilst i put my seat belt on etc and give it a go. does seem a tad better doing that.

auto box oil is pink. can never get a decent reading. engine cold and idling i can do 3 readings and 2 wil be over the max line but different amounts and the 3rd reading wil be way under the max.

I have checked it with moving the gear lever through each gear then checkingit and just checking it in P or N and i still get wierd readings. could too much oil cause the thumping?

any ideas?
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
Thumping auto box
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 20:53:15 »
has it had the oil changed recently ? or the filter it may be sluggish because it needs a service?
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Thumping auto box
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 22:00:04 »
about 8k ago it had a full service including cam belt (although that has been changed again the other day as I needed all the engine oil seels changed) by Kieth Gott and reciepts to prove it by previous owner. That was about a year and a half ago now.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal