AuthorTopic: new rubber  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Ollie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
new rubber
« on: September 20, 2004, 08:07:36 »
I've got myself a set of standard OE white steel wheels for my 110. Now I'm after a set of 'road-only' tyres for them that are good on fuel economy and road handling for such a heavy car, for a low price :lol: OK, so you get what you pay for, I know, but suggestions welcome.

Cheers
Ollie
sex is the breakfast of champions

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
new rubber
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 08:48:03 »
Avon Rangemasters (7.50x16) - surprisingly. Can be had very cheap as they come as standard and everyone throws 'em out cos the utterly useless in the muck! But they were a good tarmac tyre especially in the wet. They can start to chunk after 45- 50k miles though, although a friend got 60k out of set.

Grip was excellent, and rolling resistance was very low. Very quiet too.
But no good in the muck.

Cheers
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
new rubber
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 11:20:02 »
Cheers Eeyore, I have a set of off-road wheels and tyres. These will be just for the road, nothing else :D
Suggestions on where to get Avon Rangemasters?

Thanks.
Ollie

Offline Big Watty

Attack Member
new rubber
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 15:19:56 »
ollie

there's nothing really wrong with the mtr's you're using -

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
new rubber
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 07:50:18 »
Quote from: "Big Watty"
ollie

there's nothing really wrong with the mtr's you're using -

Watty,
I have a set of BFG AT's on another set of modulars. These are brand new, and came with the vehicle. I'm selling these, as I have the Goodyear MTR's as you point out :D
I like the look of the 110, with it's original steel white wheels. I have the wheels, just looking for a set of 'road' tyres to go on them.
I'll swap each set of tyres over, depending on long road journeys, or off roading.
Maybe I have too much time on my hands :mrgreen:

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
new rubber
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 09:26:06 »
Thats an interesting point.

I originally had Rangemasters, plus some XCL's for laning etc - but got bored of swapping them over and kept the XCL's on - boy, they were interesting on wet tarmac. :shock:

My replacement Rangemasters were had from Craddocks and they were around 80squid a piece, but I'm sure scouring about should see 'em for less cash than that - especially second hand.

Seemingly pricey, but the they were the cheapest 7.50x16 decent tarmac tyre I could get. Due to the mileage I was doing, fully loaded, at motorway speeds (south of France and back) remoulds weren't even considered - perhaps wrongly, but I was happy with the decision.

Another bet is to find some light truck tyres of the same size (they are avaialble but take some hunting) - they should also prove to be fairly tough in the long run.

HTH
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal