AuthorTopic: bearing help needed.  (Read 359 times)

Offline denviks

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
bearing help needed.
« on: September 21, 2006, 08:15:04 »
hi all, i have a question to ask but i will explain why i dont know the answer first  :oops: ...it will make scence honestly

i have a K reg discovery 1993 200 tdi. it is how i bought it over a year ago mechanicaly. i havent changed anything like that.  in march i had both front wheel bearing collapse on me in a big way on the motorway ....i didnt have time to replace them myself so put the disco in to local garage to do the work. they got the bearing kit in the next day and bu the end of the day i had my truck back...all felt ok

now this is where the problem arrises. i have had a vibration in the truck for a while......about a weeke after bearings were done....ish.i couldnt understand why the 2 locking nuts on the bearings kept lossening themselves.......

i have this setup from the outside in

locknut
lock washer
locknut
bearing

what i need to know is there a spacer misssing better locknut and bearing?

i can take pics of the axle if needed....im not 100% sure if its a 200 or 300 axle.... :?

reall need your help guys as i dont want to keep driving it at the moment
cheers
dennis
more moves than a dad in a disco!!!!!!!!!!

im always @ www.plcuk.co.uk

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
bearing help needed.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 08:41:24 »
Hi
Did you flatten two edges of the lock washer ?
Tighten the inner lock nut, check the torque setting or do it tight enough so that the hub spins without any play (ie quite tight).Put the lock washer on and then the lock nut. Do this nut up very tight.
With a chissel, knock over part of the washer onto the inner locknut, and bend out the opposite side of the washer onto a flat of the outer lock nut.

regards
wizard :twisted:

Offline denviks

Attack Member
bearing help needed.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 08:54:17 »
Quote from: "wizard"
Hi
Did you flatten two edges of the lock washer ?
Tighten the inner lock nut, check the torque setting or do it tight enough so that the hub spins without any play (ie quite tight).Put the lock washer on and then the lock nut. Do this nut up very tight.
With a chissel, knock over part of the washer onto the inner locknut, and bend out the opposite side of the washer onto a flat of the outer lock nut.

regards
wizard :twisted:

hi mate......yeah we did that mate but in 146 miles its worked loose again..... :?  :? looking in the haynes book of lies it says there is a spacer behind the first nut you put on  :?:
cheers
dennis

Offline Disco Inferno

Attack Member
bearing help needed.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 09:15:41 »
there should be a heavy washer, i think it has a flat onthe inside to locate on the stub axle,
then there should be a nut, you use this to load the bearings up
then the lock washer, again this should have a flat inside to locate ont he stub axle
then the locknut
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

1999 Alfa Romeo 146 TS rallycar
1985 Audi Quattro rally car - deceased

Offline denviks

Attack Member
bearing help needed.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 09:32:26 »
thanks mate.just as i thought...i am missing a washer on the inside  :evil:  :evil:  ...seems the first garage that did the job may have ditched it
cheers
dennis

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal