AuthorTopic: 2001 1.8i and a little bit scared  (Read 1816 times)

Offline davismit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2001 1.8i and a little bit scared
« on: September 19, 2006, 08:57:23 »
Hi All, my first post but looks a great forum.

I recently bought a 2001 1.8 Freelander es.  48000 on the clock.  I am seeing quite a few posts regarding the Kseries engine HG problem and am starting to worry that my car is going to go bang.  Its got its 48000 Annual service tomorrow.  

I dont believe the HG has happend on this car and it hasnt had a new engine.  Do I need to be worried that the miles it has done means it will happen soon.  Also is there anything that can be done to prevent it, regular maintenance, check levels etc. I do about 300 miles a aweek in the car, could this make the HG issue a bigger risk?

Its getting the service tomorrow is there anything I need to get the garage to look at for the HG problem.

Thanks for the help

Dave
2001 1.8 FreeLander

Offline LANDYTIM

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 09:58:42 »
When the girlfriends mum's HG went they said that not every one goes and that it can be luck of the draw! This particular on went with less than 16000 on the clock and just 3 and a half years old!

Its a common probllem that the garage will be aware of, might be worth just talking through it with them and see what they say,
Series 3 - LAK 44P - Sold
Defender 90 - C731 AHY - Sold
Series 3 - Tay 636N - Sold
4.0ltr Cherokee - P190 PUR - Sold
500cc KLE500 - KE55 MYR - Sold
599cc ZX-6R Ninja - T577 BAP - For Sale
2.0 Mk2 Mondeo - T685 NGW - Scrapped
750cc ZXR750
Discovery 3.9 V8 - Bought It!

Offline alaric

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 11:24:22 »
And don't let it get you down too much, the thing to remember with forums like this is that people don't come on everyday to report that the car is working fine, the same as yesterday and the same as it will probably do tomorrow.

Instead they post about problems, when they have problems - that doesn't mean that everyone always has the same problem.

I think this makes sense ...maybe...I hope you get the gist, anyway...

:?
"Act your shoe size, not your age..."

2012 Subaru Outback

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 16:37:38 »
We had a petrol for a couple of years and put quite high mileage on it without any problems. However, I would be lying if I said I didn't drive with one eye permanantly on the temp gauge!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline davismit

Attack Member
Yep, I do think I am over reacting but
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 21:46:46 »
There seems to be a lot on the internet about these engines in the Freelander.  But from what I have read its only affecting about 10% which is a lot from a engine reliability point of view but not from a 'its going to happent o you' point of view.  I agree with alaric (Good Point Mate) that people usually only post problems and that what we read so be level headed about it.  Though I am driving at the moment woth one eye on the temp guage as I feel Ive bought a lemon.  Not that theres anything wrong just that I have a highten sense that the engine could blow up.  Its still new to me so probably forget about it soon but as I said its getting a mafore serviuce tomorrow so Ill speak to the guys there to see what they think/

Thanks for the replies

Top forum

Dave
2001 1.8 FreeLander

Offline wheelspinner

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 13:19:37 »
Dont bother keeping an eye on the temp guage as suggested, in my experience (2 HG failures) by the time it starts registering a problem i.e rising into the red, its already a case of bad news.
All said and done the first time it went the car had 107K on the clock.
Owner of a full  size 1000 piece Suzuki jigsaw....

Offline carbore

Attack Member
HGF's
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 17:42:10 »
Hello, the K Series in a Freelander is prone to HGF, but there were later modifications/recalls to help resolve this problem.  If yours has not had the work done then it is possible, but not inevitable that it will suffer, if it has had the work (moved/uprated thermostat) then it is less likley.  

If you want to minimise the risk you can get the thermostat moved (I think there are kits for this)  or if you really want to be sure you can get an uprated gasket but thats a head off job so not inexpensive.

See my HGF thread for more technical stuff on why this happens and how it can be avoided (although my experiance lies in Lotus K series)

Also even if it does go its not the end of the world or the engine especially if you dont try to drive it whilst overheating whihc warps the head.  It can be flushed serviced, new gasket and you are off, although I expect landrover would charge rather a lot of ££ for that! you could take it to any other garrage or DIY (there are a lot of EX rover dealers with all the kit/diags who dont mind the work!)
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline davismit

Attack Member
thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 21:57:33 »
Hi, thanks, Its getting its annual service today from a local garage who was recommend by our local landrover parts shop.  Had a chat with the guy who is fully aware of the HG issue and actually had his lotus outside the garage and said it had the same engine.  I am geting the cambelt done at the same time as the cars doen 48000 and I dont think its been done.

Will let you know how I get on.  Thanks fro the advice.

Dave
2001 1.8 FreeLander

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal