AuthorTopic: What size bolt?  (Read 3910 times)

Offline muddysteve

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
What size bolt?
« on: September 16, 2004, 18:59:51 »
does anybody know what size bolt holds the steering box arm thingy to the chassis? i've just got myself a steering gaurd and i've got a feeling it will be easier to cut the bolt of than try to undo it. also i need one for the other side of the chassis so i they may aswell match. while i'm at it i'm going to be fitting a set of new springs and shocks in the next few weeks can anyone think of any problems or new bolts i may need to get for that?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Steve                www.lanerovers.co.uk    www.surreyoffroaders.co.uk

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
What size bolt?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 20:02:19 »
Not sure about the steering bolts, but suspension I do have first hand of doing over the last couple of weekends.

Rear;

spring retainers most likely knackered if its anything like mine - they are a couple of quid each or you can make your own from thick steel plate.  Spring mounting plates (on the axle) are held on with two bolts.  I'd recommend liberal quantities of WD40 ro duck oil aroudn the head and on the thread the day before and a few mins before.  Early ones are imperial thread, later ones are metric (M10 I think).  Mine snapped off so I had to drill the remainder out and then I retapped one as I went off centre.

shock mounts, one of my inner bush steel sleves had attached itself to the mount, I ground it off but caught the thread, so again retapped from imperial to metric (M12) but decided that I'd buy a new one anyway (£20) in the prcess of taking the mount off I broke one of the long bolts which hold it on!  The new one was already metric.

Front;

Shock bolts, tent to spin the entire shock, it's impossible to get a grinder into the bottom mount (although an air hack saw thingy might).  You need a pair of those massive 'plier' things to hold it still (and pref an assistant to do it).  I managed to round one out (despite lashings of wd40), so I had to attack the shock.  I drilled  a series of small holes 4mm all around and into the central core, I then opened them out with a 10mm drill.  This then allowed me to remove the shock and witches hat so I could get the spring out.  with the spring out I cut with a hack saw the shock flush, this then allowed the remains to slip out the bottom.

Witches hats (shock top mounts) tend to rust, I removed mine with the shock still attached and replaced them, I think it is probably difficult to undo to top nut if it's seized as you can't get much to grip on the shock shaft, so it may be easier to get new ones.  The ring of captive studs that holds them down also tends to go bad as well so for the sake of a couple of quid each you may as well get new ones (make sure you get the nuts too as mine were imperial).  I also had to grind two out as the nuts had turned to swiss cheese, it's possiblt to get an angle grinder or nut splitter in but be careful!

You don't need to remove the lower sping cups but it helps if you can.

It's really a lot easier than I've made it sound (if I can do it then anyone can!)

Matthew

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
What size bolt?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 20:39:01 »
From memory the bolt holding the 'Steering Box Arm Thingy' to the chassis has a 19mm head.
They're an absolute swine to remove as they're so tight & possibly 'Thread-Loc' on them.
I had to take mine off to fit a Jack-Mate & ended up with my feet braced against the tyres so I didn't slide across the floor whilst trying to slacken it initially off.
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
What size bolt?
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 20:39:36 »
I think I got it lucky!  :lol:

Did all four springs and shocks with relative ease, no seized bolts or nuts, just sore knees from being on the floor :?

One word that can help, if you have hexagonal sockets rather than multi head types, less chance of slippage

SWMBO needs a step ladder to get in now  :twisted:  

Kev
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
What size bolt?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 14:02:36 »
Hi all

Draper do a nut spliter set (three tools) that does 8mm to 19mm the biggest one doing 12 -19 will fit in the gap under the front axel 8)  and it worked out just as quick to split the nut as it was to wind it out  8) . and it left the thread intact. I've used them loads of times  ... Every toolbox should have some. And they are cheap  :D
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal