AuthorTopic: 1.8 K series diagnose this problem please.  (Read 1986 times)

Offline petergalileo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
1.8 K series diagnose this problem please.
« on: September 14, 2006, 14:26:03 »
I am baffled.  Right its had a head gasket change in May.

It started using a bit of water, kept topping it up, no water in the oil, no oil in the water.  Misfires when hot.

It has now stopped using water or is only using a slight amount, still misfires when hot.

It gurgles when you switch it off, I have checked, there is nobody under the bonnet with a sore throat and no smell of TCP.

Someone said I should re torque he head bolts again, just to make sure they are tightened up correctly.

Any ideas greatly appreciated, I really cant afford another head or replacement engine.

Has anyone come up with a replacement engine for a K series yet ? Did think breifly about trying to get the older diesel for it, but I bet it uses a different gearbox or something !

Thanks
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Freelander 1.8 Xi - LR Bodykit, Light Guards.

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 14:53:15 »
Hi Peter,

I'm not an expert on the Freelander K series engine but we've all heard bad things about them where headgaskets are concerned.

My opinion, based on your description, is a head gasket failure again, it would appear that the cooling system is being pressurised, hence the gurgling, therefore I'd get it to a friendly mechanic and get it pressure tested at the very least.

On its previous headgasket replacement, was the head skimmed to ensure it was completely flat or worse was the block checked for level?

I hope this helps.

Regards
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

Offline wing nut

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 15:02:29 »
plus new head bolts as the old one stretch
Matt

suzuki dr 650 import(now with new gearbox)

43 with the mental age of tarmac and a harpsichord

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 15:14:14 »
When the head gasket was replaced, did they fit the upgrade kit? This replaces the plastic dowels (the source of all the K series trouble) with steel ones and a revised head gasket. If they left the old dowels in, I have to say I suspect the gasket has blown again.

The problem is basically that the plastic dowels melt (great design in a hot environment  :roll: ) and the poorly designed head gasket can then slip. You then get water loss. Given the absolutely tiny water capacity, any water loss causes hot spots around the block. The cylinder liners then move and..... well, erm....... BANG!!

Was the gasket done under warranty? If so, get it back to them and find out if it was done properly.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 15:25:55 »
Was bought on ebay, from Dundee, I am in the south east.  Was done by an independant garage but to be honest, the guy I got it from was so dishonest it could have been a mate of his just wrote out a bill.

I suppose I will have to reluctantly get the head checked, at least I can do i myself properly.
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Offline carbore

Attack Member
Expansion Tank?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 21:30:20 »
Hi,

Have you replaced the expansion tank cap? it could be a minor hiss that causes localised /overheating boiling as the system depresurises? ITs nice and cheap so worth a punt.  You may need to replace the entire tank, but other than time/effort its not too expensive.
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 21:34:16 »
Hey, you might have something there, I noticed a few times that it has leaked out water, often have a wet patch near the tyre.

Will try a new cap, would that also explain the miss fire when it gets warm ? (normal operating temp)

I have to admit, prior to it warming up it purrs.

Peter

Offline TEMPL4R

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 19:54:14 »
Have you  had the thermostat changed? It should always be done when a Head Gasket fails, it could be the cause. The Freelander is notoriously difficult to bleed the system properly, try doing it again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal