AuthorTopic: Out & About. Sunday 10th September  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Bush Tucker Man

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Out & About. Sunday 10th September
« on: September 11, 2006, 12:40:51 »
I know that my travels haven't been reported on as much recently, but due to a a mixture of factors I haven't been as far, or out as much as I'd like to be.
I'm trying to change that & get back to the 'old days' :wink:

After receiving my day-rpass on Saturday for Langley Farm, I was in 'Dad mode' yesterday.

SWMBO took 'Small-Child' for her swimming lesson in the morning, whilst I went for my eye re-examining at work (Hospital)

Then we took
"coldchickencoldtonguecoldhamcoldbeefpickledgherkins
saladfrenchrollscheesesandwichespottedmeattomatoescakebunssausagerolls"
"And lashings of Ginger Beer!!!"*

Sorry............... I'd been reading 'The Wind In The Willows' to 'Small-Child; at bedtime & we'd just got to the picnic passage.

Anyways, We'd met some friends up at Hade Edge (above Holmfirth) as he'd been doing a 25mile, or so, ride/challenge & was set to be first across the line, but he got misdirected with 500yards to go :x
Poor old Nick!, he was gutted

So into the cars, down the valley sides & through the thriving metropolis of Holmfirth (the 'Last Of The Summer Wine' town)

The 110 looked right at home in this semi-rural setting, amongst the hills, stone-walls & fields.

So up the back lanes & we arrived at'Digley Dam' for our picnic before walking round the reservoir.

It was a nice wander passing first down a lane, that had the feel of an old pack-horse/salters/trading route. (Gibriding Lane)

At one stop for the kids (Max & Nicks 2 boys, plus 'our' Amelia) a movement in the grass caught my eye.
At first, I thought it was a Beetle, but no it was a 'Froglet'.
It was only about 3/4 inch long & a beautiful khaki-brown. I managed to catch him & the kids were quite taken with him. but were definately told that he had to go back where he was found
Nick also managed to catch a GrassHopper for them to see.

I won't pass judgement on the bobble-hat brigade we saw afterwards on their route-march, without a word of thanks for gates held open :x  :x  :x  :x

So with 3 tired kids, we completed the circuit & got back to the cars

My offer to take everyone round the by-way at the base of HolmeMoss was dismissed for some unknonw reason :cry:

It's a recommendation for a picnic & a nice stroll for anyone who finds themself in the vicinity

A few images of the days trip are in my 'Yorkshire Scenes. 14'[/i]album
*Hands up, who knows what TV programme I'm referring to here? :wink:
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal