AuthorTopic: Caravans to France  (Read 1872 times)

Offline muddyjames

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Caravans to France
« on: September 09, 2006, 15:19:23 »
Myself and another mate along with 8 others (10 in total) are planning a trip to France next year with our caravans to an area called Anger just south of Le Mans on the edge of the Louire Valley.

Can anyone give us some tips on what to do to prepare ourselves or a good campsite i that area?

Neither of us have towed abroad before either.

We are getting the Portsmouth - Caen ferry. Any ideas how long it will take to get to Anger from Caen?

Any help welcomed
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline boycarp

Attack Member
Caravans to France
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 09:37:45 »
Le Mans is proberbly a good 6 hours (if not longer with a caravan on) from caen, not much motorway driving that way down so you don't really have to worry about the speed limits changing for it raining and when it's dry or tolls, but the police out there at the moment are coming down hard on things like speeding. heard some storys of police taking liences off people and sending them back to swansee leaving you stuck at the side of the road unless you have someone else in the car who can drive. but could just be one of those stories that more dramatic the more they get told.lol They are slowly getting more speed cameras but unlike here they arn't in plain veiw can catch you out easily (like i found out this summer but luckily no speeding fine thought the post)they're painted grey and stuck in the road side.  

It's a nice drive from caen to le mans dead straight roads but watch out for the round a bouts which to me seem square lol (not like here where you can carry some speed over them ) proberbly none of this is any good to ya as your towing and won't be breaking any land speed records.

It's a really nice area to visit we liked it so much five members of the family have bought homes out there (altho a bit further south into the Louire Valley getting down between Chateauroux and Gueret.

hope this helps a little (Think i rambled a bit) :lol:
Jayson

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Caravans to France
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 09:51:51 »
Hiya.

Thanks very much for that.

I think I need to a ignore autoroute amd other mapping services as thier estimate travelling times are way out then!

Also I need to re-learn what colour roads and number roads are motorways. What are motorways on a French map?

Good to know this before we went away and arrived in the middle of the nght at the site!

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
Caravans to France
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 12:39:21 »
Just a thought but........

I think you may need a euro adapter if your planning on using on site electrics!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Caravans to France
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 12:44:47 »
A 2 pin plug to my caravan cable and a reverse polarity one too. Also a gadget that plugs into the socket to say if it is the right way round or not.

I remember my dad having those in his caravan when I was younger.

Offline Range Rover Ron

Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
France
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 15:13:07 »
Hello there, I've travelled a lot in Franc and towed many miles there, my most useful advice would be to travel on Motorways if you can, they are better for saftery reasons, you're more likely to be distracted if you pass through towns.
Most towns have municiple camp sites, these are good quality sites, not the best but very acceptable.
Eat local food, that's the cheapest way of feeding yourselves, buy bread, cheese and local fruit and vegs and you'll save a furtune, don't go for the usual british stuff like Hienz baked beans etc etc.

"Touts Directions" means through route for when you get into any town or city centres, but avoid if you can.

Portsmouth-Caen is about a 6 hours crossing, the place where you are going will be a few hours drive, count on about 4 but the more you stop the longer it will take.

I've travelled with groups before and it can be a real pain in the arse, even with family, in all our travels we found the best way to go about it was for all to have C.B radios.
Also all fill up together, have everyone go to the bog, eat, drink together, then set off together, when the first car needs to stop for juice all stop and all fill up again, go the toilet etc etc, this way you can usually travel for 4 hours then stop for food, drink, shower bog etc etc, only when everyone is ready to go, move off, don't foget that if you travel on the motorways there are overnight stop over points and the facilities are usually good, with play areas for the kids, showers, restaurants and so on.

I've driven with young kids all over Europe and this was the best routine to get into, I drove to France, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, Yugoslavia, Portugal, Italy, Belgium, Germany and more many times.

Have a good time,

Cheers,
Ron.
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

Suicide:- a permanent sollution to a temporary problem!

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal