AuthorTopic: Rear stub axle oil seal on halfshaft question  (Read 4649 times)

Offline aog

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rear stub axle oil seal on halfshaft question
« on: September 12, 2004, 14:37:50 »
:? Ok, found that my axle had dumped oil all over my brake discs, it had leaked through the flange gasket cover, the one with the ring of bolts that holds the halfshaft on....  I guess the wheel bearing should be greased not axle oiled, as this is why the halfshaft has a seal on it. I got a replacement halfshaft seal from a parts supplier, and it was too big, so made a 60 mile round trip to my Land Rover dealer with model details etc, and got a new seal, this one is also too big. Rang them up, and they said I had the correct one for my car, so the question is have I a half shaft from another Landrover, and should the wheel bearing run with grease or axle oil? And will I damage it running it with axle oil? I have resealed the flange gasket to keep the oil in until I can work out what parts I need.
Help!! :cry:
Alistair O'Grady.

Now sold for full restoration
1971 Series III Safari Station Wagon
Chassis no 8, 2.25 Petrol.
Selectro FWH, Fairey overdrive, Weber, optical dizzy, CB, GPS, CD MP3 even got a heated seat!
Plus 35 years of moss in the window channels!!

Kettering
Northants.

Offline sub4x4

Attack Member
Rear stub axle oil seal on halfshaft question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 23:47:40 »
i did have same problem on mi 200 tdi but i had the wrong hubs on as their are about 3/4 differant sizes but try getting an air line on ur breather pipe they could have a blockage

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Bearings
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 19:31:27 »
No you shouldn't damage the bearings as long as they stay 'wet'.  The same type of bearings are used in the diff and they run in oil.
Having had many prolems with our back axle I found the constant failure of hub seals was due to a blocked breather, but not helped by the pitted surface of the stub axle where water had got in.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline aog

Attack Member
Re: Bearings
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 20:40:18 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
No you shouldn't damage the bearings as long as they stay 'wet'.  The same type of bearings are used in the diff and they run in oil.
Having had many prolems with our back axle I found the constant failure of hub seals was due to a blocked breather, but not helped by the pitted surface of the stub axle where water had got in.

Oh thats ok then. As long as there is axle oil inside I will be ok!! Do Disco's have different thickness half shafts then? I guess this is why the seal is too big, I must have a smaller diameter shaft?? Would that make sense?? Will check the breather, I have been off road and dunking it in water and mud....
Alistair O'Grady.

Now sold for full restoration
1971 Series III Safari Station Wagon
Chassis no 8, 2.25 Petrol.
Selectro FWH, Fairey overdrive, Weber, optical dizzy, CB, GPS, CD MP3 even got a heated seat!
Plus 35 years of moss in the window channels!!

Kettering
Northants.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Oil seals
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 01:36:13 »
Honestly can't tell you about the oil seal, our Rangie is pre-ABS so has the 2 seals in the hub rather than the seal on the driveshaft.  Can tell you I spent ages trying to fit one the wrong way round before it clicked, felt a prat that day!
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal