AuthorTopic: lifting a maverick/terrano by turning the torsion bar  (Read 5945 times)

Offline windowlicker

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
lifting a maverick/terrano by turning the torsion bar
« on: September 04, 2006, 17:21:57 »
is it possible to slide the torsion bar out and and relocate it to the required hight as i would like to get a 4" lift but i have only been told that you can adjust the torsion bar to get roughly 25mm.

i understand that the camber will be completly wrong but i will cross that bridge when i come to it

Offline Stumpy

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 01:12:54 »
how serious are u wanting to go off road?
ONE LIFE LIVE IT!

Offline windowlicker

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 05:55:47 »
well to be honest its my every day car so not to serious its just the car dont stand me a lot of money so i dont really care if it only lasts me a year i just cant seem to own a car without tinkering with it.

why do you ask?

Offline Stumpy

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 11:54:45 »
well i asked the exact same question yestarday at a garage and the guy there knows his 4x4's and he said by doing that you run the risk of snapping your torsion bars as they are under more strain he also said that the way it is is best as the car has been set up in what nissan/ford think is the best so its not really worth it just take a few bumps lol we are in the same situation as you i know exactly wht you mean so we fitted some bfg mud's today and see wht thats like then :)
ONE LIFE LIVE IT!

Offline windowlicker

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 23:35:03 »
i hear what your saying but i think i might risk it and if they snap then i will have to bite the bullet and replace them its got to be worth a try dont you think?

Offline Stumpy

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 22:54:37 »
well i was thinking the same today m8 looking at our nissan after 13 years looks like the front may be slightly lower so might have a fiddle with the bars mself but not too much as  im no mechanic lol suppose if you want to do it and can do it go for it but dont be suprised if things go wrong and if your like me it will go wrong lol why is it always me  but then agen it might not and everyone will want a nissan/maverick :P

Mike :)
ONE LIFE LIVE IT!

Offline windowlicker

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 19:38:17 »
well i havnt tried to raise the front yet and have already snapped a torsion bar :(

Offline redneck

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 19:57:28 »
I havn't got a nissan but i know some Mitsubishis get lifted by this method, i believe (though don't quote me) that a couple of inches lift is ok on torsion bars but more than that can put a lot of strain on other components causing cracks.
hth  :wink:

Offline Stumpy

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 22:59:39 »
:shock:  how did that happen? i got some1 to look at mine and i was told there isnt much lift left in them :?  i havent touched them lol

Mike :)
ONE LIFE LIVE IT!

Offline windowlicker

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 20:31:24 »
it happened when i hit a shallow bump on a local green lane which i use as a sort cut.
after having a closer look it seems to be the adjuster arm that has snapped and not the torsion bar but i am trying to find out if these can be brought seperate then i need to find time to fix it which isnt easy when working 7am till 5;30pm with an hours traveling each way :(

oh and as for lifting the front check this out although i cant speak portugese http://www.afn.pt/english/products.php?offset=15&marca=Nissan&modelo=Terrano II R20 ( De 1996 a 1999 )&procurar=sim#

oh and thanks for the info redneck :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal