AuthorTopic: Stainless Steel exhaust... or Land Rover's?  (Read 5419 times)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Stainless Steel exhaust... or Land Rover's?
« on: September 03, 2006, 21:42:59 »
My cats and mid box on my 1994 Range Rover has started rattling.... yes they are on the way out! My question is this: do I stick with genuine Land Rover replacements costing £895... or do I get a compleate Jan speed stainless Steel sports exhaust at a cost of £1050?

I have been told that by sticking to the genuine Land Rover exhaust is the best way to have a smooth runing V8 as Land Rover have all the correct back presures etc. When you put a sport stainless exhaust on there is less back presure and the V8 doen't run as smothley... is that right? or should I get a stainless system?

If you think a Stainless system is better, which make it best?

thanks very much

Jonny

ps can any one lend me a £1000!

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 21:45:38 »
Why not cut them both out and replace them with a bit of old straight pipe, it would be louder but much less restrictive.

And lots cheaper.......
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 21:50:17 »
Thats a great Idea Tim however the M.O.T. man has sensitive ears and would fail it!! plus I have to have emissions below 0.3 for which I need cats!!

I thought scaford tubing would work well if you could bend it! and then you could have them as rock sliders as well!!!

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 21:56:25 »
Some Mud-Clubbers have no centre box, maybe one of them will be along soon to tell you how they get away with it  :wink:

Not so sure about the cat though  :?
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 22:20:28 »
Assuming yours is a 3.9 EFi Auto with the Landa Sensors then what about a full stainless system, with fitting kit for £469 inc VAT from Rimmer Bros?

On their site they say:
NOTE: Catalyst equipped vehicles (1992/3 on).
Our sports system could be used to replace the catalyst exhaust system on UK cars registered prior to August 1995 (subject to any change of legislation, please enquire.)
Current MOT emissions limits could allow not cat equipped vehicles to pass an MOT (providing the engine is set up and tuned correctly) up to this registration date.

Offline RichardRRC

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 19:43:31 »
Hi there,
I've got the Rimmer Bros stainless non cat version on my '91 RRC It's a complete system including headers, it's not bad, gives a reasonably "tone" at the tail pipe but you do tend to notice header noise, as for the Janspeed I've got the Cat version on my '95 MY RRC, the headers aren't stainless but everything else is, it's a bigger bore than the Rimmer Bros one and you still get the header noise (probably more noticeably due to no viscous fan). the noise is awsome at tickover or blipped throttle but until you get above 70 mph the the noise is a bit..... well.......loud.
I've heard of RRCs that have had their Cats removed and still passed the test but I didn't want to take the chance.
The 95 MY RRC has got stage one heads as well, both RRs run fine, the exhaust doesn't seem to affect normal running on either.
Regards,
Richard.
D3 Tdv6 SE
Disco SII V8
2 V8 RRCs
V8 Cobra replica

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 20:55:58 »
Thanks evryone... Richard, you say you can hear header noise? what is that and is it noticable louder or something you can hear if you try to! And with the Jan speed you say it is loud over 70mph is it so loud you carnt talk to a passenger or listen to the radio or is it something that you notice but can talk over it? I dont mind if it is a bit louder but if you car'nt talk to your passengers at 80mph then its no good!

And out of the two which would you go for the Rimmer or the Jan speed?

Did you fit them your self? if so was there meny problems

Last question! does the Janspeed stick out anywhere, i.e. at the back or underneth? as this would not be good for offroading

Thanks Richard

Jonny

Offline RichardRRC

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 22:47:06 »
I believe Land Rover exhaust manifolds are designed to keep under bonnet noise down, but the tubular manifolds are designed for performance, you can almost hear each cylinder firing individually...... at first you think the exhaust has got a small leak somewhere but it hasn't, you hear a sort of phoot phoot phoot phoot sound (help me out here all you tubular headed V8 boys (and girls)) :?  :)  inside the car, mixed in with the tail pipe noise. Less noticeably when you stand and listen, as someone else drives it away from you.
The loudness of the Js goes away above 70mph but below 70 it gets a bit much sometimes. Mine's an auto so the revs sit at 2500 to 3000 and the 'box accelerates around the revs whereas in a manual the revs rise and then fall with each gearchange so the noise is not constant with the manual but is constant with the auto. I fitted both myself with no problems. I think the RB had Exhaust ports that were connected to make fitting a bit easier, the Js did not.  They both stick out at the back a bit, at tong the other weekend the bumper got a bit bent by the RB but everything is still intact :)  oh and the ramp over catches the join just before the centre silencer :lol:  . Can take pics if you wish, no problem, have got a 4 post ramp so any preferences on which bits you want a pic of just ask....... Rimmer don't do stainless sports cats so I had to go for the Janspeed on the '95 RRC. I think you can use Janspeed headers and cats but the rest could be genuine Landrover, or "A.N Other". The Js is a bit expensive to take offroad for my liking :(
D3 Tdv6 SE
Disco SII V8
2 V8 RRCs
V8 Cobra replica

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 03:26:25 »
I wrapped my tubular headers as I wanted my starter to keep working.  It makes the exhaust more efficient as the gas doesn't cool so quickly buyt it kills the noise quite nicley too.  Unfortunately I've a missfire which I think is a valve, on the long list of things to fix then :roll:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 18:42:58 »
Richard, that would be great if you could post some pics, I would like to see what the tail pipe looks like and how far it sticks out and the clamp that sticks out underneath, in fact if its not too much bother some pics of the entire system would be great! I'm leaning towards the Jan speed at the moment as people are saying that it is alot better made and desingned than others out there however I have an auto as well so I understand about the noise!

Thanks again

Jonny

Offline RichardRRC

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 20:38:12 »
Here we go................. :D
More to follow once I've resized them  :roll:  :)
D3 Tdv6 SE
Disco SII V8
2 V8 RRCs
V8 Cobra replica

Offline RichardRRC

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 21:11:13 »
More as promised...
Any good to you  :?:  :)
Both RRCs have been offroad, although I'm going to limit the '95 RRC to tarmac, well maybe the odd caravan site :D  the '91 is going to do the offroad duties. It's got a slight lift, winch bumper and winch, rock sliders, tank guard etc.
D3 Tdv6 SE
Disco SII V8
2 V8 RRCs
V8 Cobra replica

Offline Grant

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 23:41:11 »
I have a rimmer stainless exhaust on my P38, the quality is absolutely top drawer. Personally i wouldnt splash out on expensive cats though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal