AuthorTopic: 1990 Disco Rear Window Wiper Motor  (Read 491 times)

Offline thepsychoman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
1990 Disco Rear Window Wiper Motor
« on: August 29, 2006, 16:32:29 »
My rear wiper broke yesterday.  I turned it on, it went halfway through its arc then stopped and dropped back down.  I tried turning it on again and it moved 1cm, made a little "rrrr"noise and dropped back again. :shock:
I took it out today, hoping to possibly check it out to see if I can fix it, but my haynes manual and workshop manual only tell you how to get it out!
Can someone help me please, as I'd really like to fix it if possible!
Ta lots and lots!
Jan   :D
It aint what you drive its the way that you drive it...

Offline Disco Inferno

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:55:42 »
i had this on my old  disco, was the park switch on the motor which gave up

i managed to get hold of a 2nd hand motor for free  so solved the problem. Chances of you being able to just buy a park switch are probably slim
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

1999 Alfa Romeo 146 TS rallycar
1985 Audi Quattro rally car - deceased

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 12:22:04 »
I had the one from my 300 Series apart cos' when so-far round the arc and stopped, then had to be helped back to the park position.

Turned out that the armature had moved in the casing and some grease had got onto the windings where the brushes site. I cleaned it up, reseated everything correctly and put it back together and not had any problems since, that was about 4 years ago.  :D

I can't remember how it came apart but I know it wasn't rocket science and rebuild was the reverse of taking it apart. I did re-grease everything when I put it back together and tested it while it was still removed from the door.

As yours is going so-far and then falling back then I'm not sure it's the same problem but it's got to be worth having a look.  :wink:

Offline thepsychoman

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 17:52:16 »
Ta guys!  Took it all apart this week and had the bleedin motor out!  Nothing!  Works fine!  Soo, put it all back in and was putting the wiper arm back on and it did it again!   :x
Took it back off and had a closer look and it turns out that a patch on the splines is worn!  :oops:
So, yeah, rather embarassed now..... Plus side tho, if I ever need to do it again, it'll be a dawdle!!
It aint what you drive its the way that you drive it...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal