AuthorTopic: Big list - what to do first?  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Terminus

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Big list - what to do first?
« on: August 20, 2006, 17:49:35 »
Ah bought the new house, put aside the money for the super king size leather frame bed, the new washing machine fridge etc and the 42" plasma TV.

Looking at the "loose change" and thinking hmmmm what part of the Hippo to change first.

I'm going with wheels and AT tyres I think cos without em other mods are pointless.

But where next (or more to the point in what order)- suspension lift? Rock sliders? (gotta ditch the steps it came with) Sump guard? fuel tank guard? Snorkel? Roofrack and lights (extra carrying space would be handy for the kayak etc) oh dear the list of wants and the eternal struggle of what to want first!!

Especially when the roofrack you like just happens to be expensive (no point in changing my mind i like it and i want it and I'm gonna have it  :lol: ) http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/newproducts/freelander-roofrack/index.shtml

So opinions invited then - what next?
Way back then - life crawled out of the mud, then it decided life was better and crawled back in!

*If you only knew the power of the dark side*

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 17:56:48 »
trade it in & buy a 90  :lol:  :lol:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Terminus

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 18:52:10 »
Quote from: "RedlineMike"
trade it in & buy a 90  :lol:  :lol:

:lol:  :lol: who rattled your cage? :lol:  :lol:

Nah might get one as a spare motor though, but I do (edit - occasionally) drive distances too and I like practical and comfortable  :P  :shock:
Way back then - life crawled out of the mud, then it decided life was better and crawled back in!

Offline Doobreydog

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 08:54:12 »
Cracking rack....I have considered selling a vital organ to get one myself...Always fascinated me how that ladder is fitted, how much of a45eing around you would have if you needed to put your spare on and how many boots would go through window if you tried to use it.

:D
FREELANDER V6 LPG...GO GAS

http://www.mad-freelanders.org.uk/

Offline Terminus

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 11:12:18 »
Quote from: "Doobreydog"
Cracking rack....I have considered selling a vital organ to get one myself...Always fascinated me how that ladder is fitted, how much of a45eing around you would have if you needed to put your spare on and how many boots would go through window if you tried to use it.

:D

Yep I know what you mean with the ladder, not sure I'm going for that part - I know I'm not paying £266.20  for a bit of ply wood flooring either!!  :shock:  I'll just get a bit and seal it myself.  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Blippie

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 18:34:26 »
Hello all.

I'm no expert but I wouldn't go for the tyres next.  Because the traction control works when you lose grip,  I know a number of people who have splashed out on lumpy MTs only to move back to ATs or road tyres later because they haven't seen as big an improvement as they expected.

I'd go for the underbody protection first, then the tyres, unless you spend a lot of time scrabbling about in bad mud.  Of course, sometimes underbody protection can reduce your ground clearance but a 2" lift gives a Freelander the same ground clearance as a Defender on standard tyres.

Cheers

Blippie

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 18:38:02 »
I'd go for the underbody protection first, then the tyres, unless you spend a lot of time scrabbling about in bad mud. Of course, sometimes underbody protection can reduce your ground clearance but a 2" lift gives a Freelander the same ground clearance as a Defender on standard tyres.

Er....a 2" lift on a Discovery brings that to the same as a Defender...not a Freebie! I'd go for AT's. I've driven TC with road tyres and it's crap - you go sideways. You need something grippy to stop that!
--
Neil

Offline Terminus

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 18:42:18 »
I was going for AT's much more usefull than MT's  :D

Offline Blippie

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 22:38:43 »
Quote from: "Thrasher"
Er....a 2" lift on a Discovery brings that to the same as a Defender...not a Freebie!

Happy to be proven wrong if you have the figures, but if I recall correctly, the Freelanders ground clearance is 50mm less than the diff of a Defender.

Not saying it for certain, happy to stand corrected.

Cheers

Blippie

Offline Doobreydog

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 12:44:42 »
Quote from: "Blippie"
Quote from: "Thrasher"
Er....a 2" lift on a Discovery brings that to the same as a Defender...not a Freebie!

Happy to be proven wrong if you have the figures, but if I recall correctly, the Freelanders ground clearance is 50mm less than the diff of a Defender.

Not saying it for certain, happy to stand corrected.

Cheers

Blippie

Confused  :? ....2" is 50mm sounds like you both agree to me (unless I am missing the point)

Depends on whos figs you read but approx 245mm for defender and 210mm for freelander....obviously variable depending on tyre choice etc.

Offline Blippie

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 17:48:01 »
Soooooooooo...

A 2" lift would give a Freelander pretty much the same ground clearance as a Defender. Which I think is what I said.

Of course, what it is in paper isn't quite what is important when you are off the black-top.  One's Freelander might now be c.250mm off the ground, but it is only the Defender's diff that is c.250mm off the ground.  There is still more usable clearance for the Defender to take advantage of, whilst you and I are scraping along the ruts!

Cheers

Blippie

Offline Doobreydog

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 19:29:10 »
Totally agree blippie but a freelander with a 2" (50mm) lift will be for arguments sake the same height as a standard defender.....

The big rock sat in the middlle of the raised center of the rock will either hit a cheaply replaced back box of FL or expensive bitch of a job diff on a defender.

The diff on defender can be protected but not raised a great deal without huge tyres or fancy axles...the back box on FL can easily be cahnged to sit one side and miss the rock.

Only thing with FL is if you break over crest and said rock is sat there it will then be your VCU that gets it but even then that is probably 6" higher than the diffs on Defender

See Below although I have lpg tank installed still manages to get over 11" minimum clearance with 2" lift and decent tyres

Although I do agree a defender is more capable off road than a FL it would be a far better motor if they could lose the diffs.

Offline Blippie

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 23:15:57 »
Be interesting to see if the next incarnation of the Defender has beam axles or goes to independent suspension like the rest of the range.

Cheers

Blippie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal