AuthorTopic: oh joy, something else is bent  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Disco Inferno

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
oh joy, something else is bent
« on: September 03, 2004, 09:32:56 »
following a recent outing the steering on my disco has been somewhat unpredictable. I finally got round to having a look last night and found that the rear steering link (one with the damper on) now looks like a banana and the stering damper looks like its been used as a bridging ladder.
Needless to say its knackered.

Can somewhat tell me what the correct name for this link is (drag link, track rod ??)

Also is it possible to change the setup over so it is similar to a defender, where the damper is on the front link?
i don't fancy forking out for a new damper if i'm gonna end up destroying it at the next available oportunity.

cheers

andy
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

1999 Alfa Romeo 146 TS rallycar
1985 Audi Quattro rally car - deceased

Offline weeone

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 09:45:44 »
You've bent thr track rod (it's the one that adjusts the tracking (toe-in/-out)

Yes, you can move the damper to the drag-link (the one that drags the wheel round)

You do, however, need to get a replacement drag-link, and probably need to weld a bracket onto the front crossmember.

It's actually quite a common mod....
Off-roader, radio ham, geek, terrier-in-human-form.
Opinionated, volatile, highly strung.
Tolerant, laid-back, forgiving.
Anatidaephobic.

Offline Disco Inferno

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 10:11:13 »
excellent stuff

so i guess i need to purchase a drag link rod and steering damper to suit a defender, then fabricate something to mount the damper to the chassis with.

wuhoo, as it happens a mate is braekign a 110, think i'll be down there withe the gas axe this weekend.

cheers for the info
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

Offline 300+

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 13:08:14 »
You can buy a complete kit of parts. I know Oz suppliers, but they won't help you.

Steve

Offline Disco Inferno

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 20:21:41 »
i've found a set of plans to build my own using a defender damper, but as a starting point i'm scrounging a set of rods from a 110 to see of they are a direct replacement or if they can be modified
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

Bjohns

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 11:28:24 »
You need sumo bars or dan bars try QT services www.qtservices.co.uk,

These are substantially stronger than the Land-rover equivalant, I went through two sets of standard parts before I found them. But I've yet to find a way of stopping the damper getting trashed, with a substantial guard. It seems designed to be a treestunp catcher.

Good luck
Brian

Offline Disco Inferno

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 21:22:52 »
i spoke to guy at peterborough at the weekend, he recomended getting hold of the drag link, pitman arm and steering damper from a 110. The weld a bracket onto the chassis to take the other end of the damper. He had bought a sumobar conversion and said it was a pile o c**p and tldl me not t buy one, but recomeded using the sumo bars as a replacement to standard bars.
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Steering Damper conversion
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 19:12:03 »
I have literaly just finished converting our Range Rover to a Defender steering damper, it's one of the few 5-minute jobs I have had this year.  Get the complete drag link from a scrap 110/90 because although the threads are the same for some reason the 110 bar was counter-bored (thread starts 15mm inside the tube) but all the tapers and threads are the same, the drag link was even the same length.  Luckily we have a steering guard fitted so I drilled the mounting hole straight into this, it's more than strong enough for the job.  I mounted this end as low as possible without risking damage when the car is cross-axled, this reduces the flexing on the drop arm when the damper is absorbing those shocks.  Finally I fitted a De Carbon gas damper, which does bias the steering a little, it's cured the pulling to the left but more alarmingly it has negated the self-centering effect when turning sharply right, no more swinging into RH bends and booting it!    :D
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Disco Inferno

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 09:10:56 »
i've done exactly the same now, just not had chance to overhaul the joints etc on the drag link. I took measurements from the 100 i took apart so the damper mounts in exactly the same orientation on the disco.
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal