AuthorTopic: wrangler any good!  (Read 2046 times)

Offline ian,s zuki

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
wrangler any good!
« on: August 12, 2006, 10:23:50 »
HI all

Looking for abit of advice the wife has decidered that she would quite like a wrangler ! if you could give me pointers in what to look out it would be usefull .What are they like to service easy ,hard or main dealer! do they do a diesle as a 4l petrol is making me nervas i don't think it will do much more than 12mpg! do they?

any help would be good thanks

IAN

Offline isle of man

Attack Member
wrangler any good!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 10:40:43 »
don't do a diesel in the wrangler and the 2.5 petrol lacks the torque and only returns about 3mpg more than the 4.0 the tj model (round headlights and coil springs) is the more refined....no real issues with them just when you start to modify it becomes addictive and then expensive when you  eventually break something.

peter henry
SEE THE "MANX MAFIA" THE "TGB" AND ALSO "STRIKE ONE" THE BUGGY
http://www.j33p.org/_club/rides_view.cfm?ride_id=24

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
wrangler any good!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 11:00:09 »
Check out the latest (September) edition of 4x4 magazine there's a good article about buying used Wranglers in it :wink:
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline Legionnaire

Attack Member
wrangler any good!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 15:26:34 »
I bought one for my wife a couple of months ago, its the 2.5L sport - she absolutely loves it!

Andrew
Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD,  Lightweight Landrover

Offline mytj

Attack Member
  • www.myrubicon.co.uk
    • Billing, Northampton
wrangler any good!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 19:29:03 »
If your good with tools servicing isn't too bad.They can be abit ' lively' in the wet with 'mud' tyres on,
like any car or 4x4 if you're got a heavy right foot you 'll get less mpg.
There's NOTHING like driving around with the roof down and the doors off!!
Even better if it's HOT!
john 8)
Black 07 jeep wrangler jk rubicon.
  lots of photo's on my web site. www.myrubicon.co.uk

Below is a link to site with some great juggling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDBmXnGaxMI

when i was little i used to go fast down hills on go-carts made out of wood and pram wheels, i haven't changed, just the wheels are bigger!

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
wrangler any good!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 15:17:58 »
If you are mechanically minded, then the YJ (to mid 97 Wrangler) was easier to work on (Less sensors and easy access to the fault codes) but it's leaf sprung and can be a bouncier ride than the TJ (Mid 97 on).

I have a TJ and it's in at the local Landy place to have some work done at the moment. It's all tried and tested mechanics on the wrangler, so you should be fairly safe.

Buy your parts from the US, and Servicing is not that expensive either. buy anything over here and it'll generally cost more (Few suppliers etc)

Had mine 3 or 4 years now.... Drum brakes on the rear stop working everytime it sees Mud (In having rear discs fitted as I type) but just need re-adjusting, replaced a few UJs and a couple of wheel bearings. Oh, and an exhaust because I backed it into a bank (Wish I could blame the car for that :) ). Being used in the mud it needs more TLC than one used on road. It's certainly never let me down so far.

And you can Mod it to your hearts content :)

EE

Offline MM

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
wrangler any good!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 17:11:15 »
A female point of view

I had my 98 Sahara TJ back in March this year

I LOVE IT to bits.  It's a 4ltr auto and we get about 20-23mpg and I too have a heavy right foot.

I have had it lifted, underneath skid protection, snorkel, new bumpers, winch, the list is endless and expensive BUT it is well worth it.

It is such a forgiving vehicle considering what I put it through and easy to off road in - thoroughly recommended and enjoyment value second to none.

Go for it girlie :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal