AuthorTopic: Dodgy replacement parts... grrr!  (Read 4901 times)

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Dodgy replacement parts... grrr!
« on: August 28, 2004, 15:20:37 »
Today is not a good day. Got into the 110 this morning to find an inch of water in the back. My son had opened the sun roof last weekend and I didn't notice. Raining all week and most of it seems to have found its way into my car!

Next: Replaced the starter last March... yes, it was cold, it was dark and it was held on with impossibly positioned cap head bolts! The replacement was a reconditioned Bosch unit which was rather slimmer and allowed the use of good old fashioned hex head bolts. This made refitting a lot easier.

Now, a couple of weeks ago, the starter started (or rather didn't!) clicking and not turning over. So the solenoid is operating, but the starter is not rotating. If I repeatedly turned the key, it would generally start. I am sure everyone is the same.... and I didn't bother to do anything about it until it became really difficult to start! So, checked the connections (main feed, solenoid connections and the earth strap), cleaned them up and no improvement. So, I've just removed the starter, stripped it down, cleaned everything (there was a little corrosion) and put it back in. Still nothing, just the click of the solenoid..... hence the subject line 'GRRRR'. So, I'll be on to the supplier on Tuesday (why do these things always finally give up on a bank holiday weekend???) and give them some hell.

<deep breath> That's better, rant over  :)
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline ooheck

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 17:41:27 »
This is a common problem on suzukis.
Check if there is power on the starter motor side of the solenoid, they quite often get crap on the contacts from going through water, thats creates enough resistance to stop the motor turning.
try taking the solenoid off and filling with electrical contact cleaner, or WD40 will do

Offline nzrover

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 02:01:57 »
Maybe the battery is on the way out - if one cell has gone partially open circuit it will act normally until it gets a bit load on it.  Best way to check is to do a discharge test on the battery.

Offline Stormin

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 08:39:43 »
Could be the solenoid. Just 'cos it clicks doesn't mean it's working. Try shorting it out across it's terminals, or disconnect the wires and touch together. If the sarter runs, the selenoid is shot.
Stormin'    

Have Land Rover,
Will travel.
LR  90 2.8Tdi
76 Triumph Spitfire 1500
SJ 410 (Rolled and now a projet)
D.E.F.R.A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.
www.memoryboxmedia.co.uk

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 11:47:45 »
Hi all

I suspect it is dodgy contacts in the solenoid. It certainly has had some good dunking recently! When I took the end off the motor it was white with corrosion!

This is the pre-engaged type, so it isn't possible to bypass the solenoid like it is on inertia starters. The +ve feed is just the solenoid and the earth is through the body. The solenoid has had the WD40 treatment and still no good, unfortunately.

It is still under warranty, if I don't tell them about the dunking  :) , so I'll talk to my supplier on Tuesday. I am in the trade and I'm sure they will swap it for me without quibble anyway. We buy several thousand Pounds worth each month from them for our business.

If I get the chance, the replacement one will get partially stripped and the joints sealed before it goes on.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 11:50:11 »
Oh, and thanks for the suggestion, but the battery is quite recent and happily runs the winch. So, I don't think it is that.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 15:11:44 »
I have had the same problem, after going for a swim.

I was lucky enough that a guy i work with is an ex-Lucas starter refurbisher. He said that like all electrical products like  starter motors, they are not too bothered by clean water, but when you add a little mud and slime it becomes a whole different ball game. When he stripped mine, it appeared to be clean oin the outside, but after further inspection inside, the pickups were covered in mud. This was preventing it from making a good electrical contact.

Whilst he was in there, he fitted new bearings, which in his mind was the ideal time to do it. Also, after periods of dry weather,  :D the grease which they use to put them together, goes hard, and stops all movement in there. Hope this helps.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal