AuthorTopic: seatbelts in a s2  (Read 2376 times)

defenderdan

seatbelts in a s2
« on: July 28, 2006, 22:11:22 »
Am i correct in thinking that a 1958 series 2 does not need seatbelts for mot. I think that i remember reading this somewhere but i'm not sure. When i bought the motor some years ago as a project it did have seatbelts fitted but i threw them away during the rebuild because they were manky. Four years later it's booked in for an mot. :?

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 22:15:06 »
i dont think you do there mate.

defenderdan

seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 22:34:32 »
Cheers Mark :D

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 22:55:48 »
If you do refit seatbelts - they have to comply with current MOT standards :wink:

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 23:22:53 »
Aye afaik you don't need them.  My S3 will have them removed before MOT and a tester i spoke to says pre 1982 they aren't required but if present are testable.
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 14:04:52 »
does that mean then, if you have a landy that doesnt need seatbelts, but has them fitted, you dont have to wear them?

dew1911

seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 14:58:38 »
Quote from: "mark.yellow.series.3"
does that mean then, if you have a landy that doesnt need seatbelts, but has them fitted, you dont have to wear them?

Indeed. As I understand the law if they are there they have to be used.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 23:00:13 »
Quote from: "Jim-Willy"
Aye afaik you don't need them.  My S3 will have them removed before MOT and a tester i spoke to says pre 1982 they aren't required but if present are testable.

I think its further back than this date, I had to fit belts in my l/w for mot, I checked the rules and it was right, not having the info in front of me till monday, but it would be worth checking on that date. the lightweight is a 72ish
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 23:01:38 »
Quote from: "hobbit"
Quote from: "Jim-Willy"

I think its further back than this date, I had to fit belts in my l/w for mot, I checked the rules and it was right, not having the info in front of me till monday, but it would be worth checking on that date. the lightweight is a 72ish

I really hope You are wrong, mine is a 1976 and i dont want belts :cry:
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 23:22:29 »
Cant find the right links, I'll see if I can get to the books tomorrow if my mate is in, and check to confirm

Ok after further looking, It seems to be 1965, but I can't confirm this date at the mo though

http://www.ukmot.com/mot_check.asp

ABout half way down the page it says

SEAT BELTS

Most vehicles after 1965 must have seat belts, irrespective of that requirement, all seat belts fitted to any vehicle must be inspected for:

• Security of seat belt mountings and locking stalks
• Security and operation of the locking/release mechanism
• Condition of webbing
• Retraction of the belt (it is permissable to manually feed it in).

Notes:

1 For technical reasons the inertia locking mechanism is not checked.
2 On some vehicles the belt is attached to the seat, in which case the security of the seat to the vehicle would also constitute part of the seat belt check.

Unless someone else can confirm this, remember there is a lot of people away at the mo so this is going to be quite until sunday night

But the date does ring a bell rfom something else but it could be to do with another part of the test procedure
Kev

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline James.Harwood

Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 08:37:18 »
If seatbelts were fitted as standard at the time of manufacture i believe that they need to still be fitted.  You can not just take them out and hope for the best.

If they were fitted as an optional extra pre 65ish then not sure.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 12:55:26 »
Quote from: "James.Harwood"
If seatbelts were fitted as standard at the time of manufacture i believe that they need to still be fitted.  You can not just take them out and hope for the best.

If they were fitted as an optional extra pre 65ish then not sure.

It more goes on what the book says on the mots, belts were fitted before then, but not enforced.

Hazard flashers wern't made legal requirement until later, but 70s landys had them in, (srs 3). I had a fault on one once, and it was driving me mad to sort it out, so I removed the whole loom plug and switch on a s3, it passed mot no probs, not fitted, not required at that age of vehicle, so cannot be tested, if I had left it in not working it would have failed
Kev

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 20:40:52 »
I am really confused now as i know a lad who ran a series 3 1970's for a while with no seat belts and a tester told me cos of my trucks age he wouldn't fail it if they werent present??????????

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 22:36:06 »
I'll confirm what the date is tomorrow for sure, not able to get to the books today

Not always known and could be accepted that if not fitted it should be that way, it could fall onto the individual tester at the time and what kind of day he's had too :wink:
Kev

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 22:39:13 »
Legality aside......

I like seatbelts

They keep me in my seat

For the sake of a few quid... I'd fit a set !
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 22:49:04 »
Hmmm.....  I really don't like them and tend not to wear them anyway but i dont want a vehicle with no seabelts if it will void the series 3's insurance if my passengers get injured.......

I already have no rear belts in the 90 which i believe is a 'grey area'.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2006, 22:53:52 »
Seatbelts are a pain all round, I had a lot of fun with a minibus a few years ago before the media hype on crashes, for 3 mot's I had to get the testing station to confirm the bus was right with the area hgv station, which meant I had to drive there for them to look and then telling the local station it was ok to test it in the configuration I had, cause vosa kept moving the goal posts, and the testers were getting a headache trying to figure it out :?  :roll:
Kev

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006, 23:08:54 »
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_510.htm

Well if i wasn't confused before i definately am now...  I can't work out whether its 1967 or 1980??????????

Offline steve_h

Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 12:38:57 »
My 1968 2A SWB failed its MOT with (amongst other things) some damage to the webbing on one of the front seatbelts. I had this discussion with the tester at the time (a couple of years ago now) he's very familiar with land rovers and allows for their quirks. He said pre 1965 don't need belts fitted, but mine did. They were only static belts but I took the bad one out and put an inertia belt in and it was fine.

On a note of personal preference, I wouldn't like to be without a belt, especially when sat in a moving metal box with no crumple zones and many sharp/hard bits inside.  :shock:
300Tdi Disco - K30 MUD
Lifted 2" with Britpart & Procomp
265/75 Cooper STT Muds
steering guard and modified bumper

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 14:56:03 »
Quote from: "steve_h"
My 1968 2A SWB failed its MOT with (amongst other things) some damage to the webbing on one of the front seatbelts. I had this discussion with the tester at the time (a couple of years ago now) he's very familiar with land rovers and allows for their quirks. He said pre 1965 don't need belts fitted, but mine did. They were only static belts but I took the bad one out and put an inertia belt in and it was fine.

On a note of personal preference, I wouldn't like to be without a belt, especially when sat in a moving metal box with no crumple zones and many sharp/hard bits inside.  :shock:

Yes Steve, just got back, the date is 1st Jan 1965, for statutory fitted belts, albeit it only static ones not inertia. (not sure on the date for inertia type being fitted)

If the vehicle has them fitted prior to this date they will be tested and can fail if faulty
Kev

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
seatbelts in a s2
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 18:03:16 »
Bummer, looks like the belts will have to stay then :evil:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal