AuthorTopic: Gearbox help?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline baileys_1984

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Gearbox help?
« on: July 27, 2006, 22:42:54 »
We got a 1989 vouge se automatic, we went through a BIG puddle tonight , engine died, when it started back up revs went up , when they came back down engaged drive and there was a bit of a bang and the car wouldnt move put it into first gear and i could pull away and go up threw gears even into drive but everytime the car comes to a stand  still in drive it wont pull away have to keep dropping bk into 1st gear when i do put it into drive from sitting i can feel it try to pull forward but no thing happens  :cry:  anybody know what the problem is? and if it is gonna be safe for us to drive around in the gears? we just done ten mile coming home and theres no strange sounds or anything! PLEASEEE HELP!!!!!!!
Bailey

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
Gearbox help?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 23:02:52 »
No expert but it could be water contamination...?

Try draining the fluid and seeing what comes out...

Also, depending on gearbox.... some have a filter that can clog, replace and all is well again... but having said that... I'm no expert!

Good luck

Skibum

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Gearbox help?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 17:53:44 »
if theres water in the box, then u will have to drain and refill it, but not sure how it would had got in there from just a puddle

...just how big was this puddle?
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline baileys_1984

Attack Member
Gearbox help?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 22:25:34 »
maybe the word puddle doesnt quite stretch it try almost going through a big ford  :shock:
Bailey

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
Gearbox help?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 22:29:12 »
There are breather valves on most gearboxes and if damaged and water is deep enough (they usually sit on top of gearbox) then in theory, the water cools the gearbox... contracting the oil which sucks in ai.... unless under water... in which case....!  :shock:

Skibum

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Gearbox help?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 12:23:09 »
The whole drive thing is dependant on the oil pressure so waterin the oil is a possibility.  It should be chjanged once in a while anyway.  Don't worry about the bang for now, that happens if you engage drive or reverse about idle speed.  It''s nothing too serious if it will still drive but the torque converter will now be full of crap too if there is water in there and I don't know if that can be drained :?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Gearbox help?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 12:49:41 »
Quote from: "baileys_1984"
maybe the word puddle doesnt quite stretch it try almost going through a big ford  :shock:

trust you :roll:

:wink:
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline baileys_1984

Attack Member
Gearbox help?
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 13:43:28 »
Right then Remember we novice at this what type oil and how many ltr's
if it dont sort it then will it be a new gearbox job if so it can wait as it still does all we need it to for now all be it semiauto so still up for laneing :lol: and cant afford gearbox
Bailey

Offline Grunter

Attack Member
Gearbox help?
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 10:01:30 »
I have a 4 speed auto on 87 rangie and it has the same problem, it loses drive if you go below 10mph (ish). It has been like this for the last year or so  clocking up over 20,000 miles, it has had the filters cleaned, the flushing process is to change fluid, drive it about and change fluid again, 5 times is supposed to be the amount needed to flush the torque converter as there is always half left in it when you drain the box (unless you can pick up your rangie, rest it on the towbar and give it a gentle shake) This made no difference at all to mine, (flushing i mean and not the shaking) I thought it may have been a sticking valve in the governor but that was checked when filter was done. been told now that the clutch on first(auto) has probably gone, You will always get drive in 1st manual as it is a gear rather than a clutch (as far as i remember anyhow).

You'll get used to it with the only side effect being that you will find that every other auto you drive will see you putting it into 1st to pull away and go up through the gears into drive to the bemusement of your passengers.  This isnt such a bad habbit to be in anyway, the other bonus ......People dont ask to borrow it anymore  :D

As for fluid, I'm pretty sure Dextron II ATF  is the right stuff, will check, off the top of my head i think box has 7 litre capacity but  takes roughly 5 at each flush as some remains in the torque converter.

HTH
This should present no significant problems

83 4dr R/R
LPG, Chrysler auto, 265's
Steering guard
2" suspension lift
2 1/2" body lift
es9000 +4"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal