AuthorTopic: DISCO DISSAPOINTMENT  (Read 5084 times)

Offline MUSKIE

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
DISCO DISSAPOINTMENT
« on: August 20, 2004, 18:26:08 »
i have owned my Nreg 300 tdi for exactly 3 weeks now, i have driven 8 miles in it. it blew a core plug on the M1 and overheated, head was unrepairable so a new head was needed £500, finding a used one was near impossible. anyway heads now back on but the radiator is so dodgy looking it needs a new one £145 to recore it, its the one with integrated oil cooler. with the labour and gaskets etc etc it is going to be about £1100. One of the pitfalls of buying privatly i am afraid. Now my trusty old rangie's rad has given up £160 plus vat.
in 17 years of driving and buying from private sources i have never had a bill for any car or landy this high.
and the moral of this story is, scrutinise what you are looking at, we can all get stung very easily or just get unlucky  :roll:  :(

Offline Sooty

Attack Member
DISCO DISSAPOINTMENT
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 19:07:41 »
Hi (Don't know your name because you have no profile)
I know it is no comfort to you but you are not on your own, I bought a 300tdi Range Rover 2 months ago and after about 50 miles the big end went and it has sat in my back yard since.
It is a real downer but s**t happens ](*,)
More money to spend on it is needed.
Never mind it's only money :roll:
Too Much Tarmac
Cheers Bev
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/sooty/
Discovery V8
Discovery 300tdi
Range Rover V8Efi

Offline MUSKIE

Attack Member
DISCO DISSAPOINTMENT
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 11:04:08 »
Well yeah it is only money but i would rather have spent it on some goody bits rather than having it rebuilt. never mind its being picked up monday or tuesday and i am still looking forward to getting her back. i am putting it down to experience and forgetting about it.

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
DISCO DISSAPOINTMENT
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 15:45:48 »
erm was it a private purchase or thru a dealer?

just asking the obvious really...

Offline Sooty

Attack Member
DISCO DISSAPOINTMENT
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 16:42:54 »
Mine (like the star fish on Finding Nemo) was bought on ebay.
Some you win, some you loose.
It was from a local garage but I except the way ebay works, caviet emptor,(can't spell latin it was a long time ago when it was thrashed into me at boarding school), they would never get away with that now.
Too Much Tarmac
Cheers Bev
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/sooty/
Discovery V8
Discovery 300tdi
Range Rover V8Efi

Offline MUSKIE

Attack Member
DISCO DISSAPOINTMENT
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 11:53:45 »
Quote from: "strapping young lad"
erm was it a private purchase or thru a dealer?

just asking the obvious really...

bought it private "sold as seen" garage did tell me that a core plug can let go at anytime no way of telling i just got unlucky. :oops:

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
DISCO DISSAPOINTMENT
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 16:36:26 »
My P38 blew its drive plate less than 24 hours after I'd picked it up.  That cost £800, but fortunately I'd had it from a dealer, so they shelled out.

Then within a couple of weeks I'd resigned myself to replacing the LPG conversion (the injectors were knackered) - could have been £500 but I decided to spend £1500 and get a completely new sequential installation.

Then another couple of hundred for a misaligned crank sensor.  And a new battery.  Then a few hundred more to diagnose & replace the air mass flow sensor.  All in, I spent well over 2 grand on it, plus the £800 from the dealer, within 2-3 months of buying it.  By that time it was working *great*.  But I decided it was too much of a liability and sold it, bought a Disco TD5 instead.

Ho hum.  It was nice while it lasted.

David
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline beggers

Attack Member
DISCO DISSAPOINTMENT
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 20:59:55 »
I bought what I thought was a very cheap 300Tdi Disco only to find syncro was on its way out and the fuel pump needs rebuilding. I can live with the box but I was saving up for a snorkel and a winch and bumper. Oh well never mind.
Second Disco 300Tdi and loving it !

Cheers

Beggers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal