AuthorTopic: Greenpeace - oh what have they become :(  (Read 12889 times)

Offline robpark

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Greenpeace - oh what have they become :(
« on: July 22, 2006, 16:12:11 »
As a long time Greenpeace member I received a link to their new anti-4x4 video, designed to coincide with the Motor Show - and it's absolutely horrible. No reasoned argument, no acknowledgement that we live in a free and democratic society - just viscous school playground level name calling. As a consequence I have cancelled my membership of 27 years, and suggested they take a look at http://www.4x4prejudice.org.

I'm very sad  and disappointed :cry: that Greenpeace have sunk to this level.

You can watch the video at http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/gasguzzler/?CFID=4614100&CFTOKEN=33282897
Rob.

'93 Jeep Wrangler YJ 4.0 Limited (Manual)

Edge

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 16:24:35 »
Funny video :lol: , just a shame its biased against an innocent type of individual solely on his choice of vehicle.

Greenpeace should lead by example..... get rid of the big ship and force all its members to spend the rest of their lives riding round on 50cc scooters. They wouldn't have many members for very long.

Offline Manicminer

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 16:36:59 »
Quote from: "TRUG"

Greenpeace should lead by example..... get rid of the big ship <engine> and force all its members to
row the damn thing with a long set of oars each :wink:
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Offline Penguinius

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 17:14:37 »
From the Greenpeace Website " 'Facts' about 4x4s"
Most of their drivers will never use the all-terrain features that make the cars so criminally irresponsible.

WHAT?   Just because a vehicles front wheels are powered or it is designed to go Off road the car becomes 'criminally irresponsible' absolute nonsense, I feel embarassed for the single minded idiot who wrote that.
1984 Series III 88" CSW

Offline blackbob

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 17:16:16 »
According to The Independent, one in seven cars sold in London is now a 4x4

so is one in seven a minority then not by my calculations
so how do you ban 1 in 7 cars
 if put to a vote for goverment election 1in 7 is enough to vote you in or out of power
love's mud and lpg and the wife
skype ekken3011

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
  • I'm BACK..possibly..LOL
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 17:59:19 »
just sent them this email:-

Where in the hell did you get your 'Facts' from?????

So the tax on a 4x4 should be £1800????? so does that include all the 4x4 jaguars - mercedes - audis, and of course the new Bentley?

Or just the 'obvious' 4x4's like Land rover / Toyota etc????

Obviously you have just decided that the seal clubbing has gone a little out of the public eye, and so have decided to target someone else a little closer to home to save using your fuel guzzling boat!!!

And as for celebrities buying Prius's if you check I think you'll find they own other vehicled too - mainly 4x4's!

I'd love to receive a leaflet with ALL your anti 4x4 spouting on it so I have something to read when I need a good laugh!!!!!!

I really hope that all your members read this drivvle and decide to cancel their membership and also claim a refund!!!

N Mason
Be afraid. Be very afraid
YAM YAM SQUAD
Life's a journey - so remember to pay FULL fare!

Edge

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 18:22:45 »
Jeeeeez :shock:

Greenpeace actually own a Fleet of Ships :shock: .

Apparently run from their marine headquarters in the Netherlands.

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 18:35:01 »
Robpark.

Can you as them to look here for true statics from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, and ask for their response  :wink:

They have angered me so much this is the email I've just sent:

Dear Sir or Madam

I am a person you are calling a [!expletive deleted!] and/or [ed - prod with a sharp implement] as portrayed in your latest anti 4x4 campaign video and take offence at the malicious name calling level you as an organisation have chosen to stoop too.

As an organisation you have a duty of care to the general public. Harassment, victimisation and incitement to hatred are unwelcome and illegal acts under health and safety law and along with other members of the public you have chosen to call these disparaging names will seek to fund legal advice regarding your anti-social behaviour. There is no law against the freedom of choice which is exercised by people wishing to purchase a mode of transport; there are laws against the unwelcome acts your organisation carry out with your acts.

I am also interested where your organisation gathers facts regarding 4x4 vehicles sold in the UK as there are more family saloons and sports vehicles that are both larger in dimension (length and width) and more polluting. Also can you supply me with statistics from the British Police and UK insurance companies regarding accidents involving 4x4 vehicles (excluding sports performance vehicles) in comparison to your choice of vehicles? You boast you have the statistics, so I would like to see some. My facts and statistics will be gathered from the SMMT and I advise you to point your browser to the following site http://www.smmt.co.uk/news/newsarchive.cfm?sid=-1&tsid=143&catid=921&maincatid=550&fid=4&fid1=&fid2=&CFID=2458537&CFTOKEN=67673651 and choose 4x4s in the category menu.

I would like a rational response to this email or do you just resort to name calling tactics like playground bullies?

Regards

Lee Jones
Birmingham, UK

See if anything comes back  :roll:
Lee from Brum

Offline Jas278

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 19:24:13 »
Let them have it Lee...............their organisation has lost face ,they are just a bunch of lost Hippies..........

I too have let them have a little piece of my mind.......

Discovery TD5......Tricked Up..

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 19:26:12 »
could have amud-club day out & scuttle one o there ships  :lol:  :lol:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Rangie3.0LtrDan

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 19:30:19 »
But dont greenpeace also have a fleet of 110's ;)
The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.

1982 Range Rover 3.0Ltr Turbo Diesel - Redun

Edge

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 20:52:37 »
Well said Lee =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>.

Shame your not prime minister  :wink: .

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 21:33:02 »
I will be putting pen to paper and writing to the HSE regarding this video. Workplace bullying and anti-social behaviour is their hot topic at the moment, if they let promoting acts such as spitting in someone's beverage because you don't agree with them, then a precedence will be set and all hell will break out :evil:  

We need to use the tools that we have to defeat these people now they're overstepping the mark.
Lee from Brum

the loon

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 23:43:43 »
not sure if it falls with in there remit but have just made a complaint to the advertising standards agengcy -

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/

I wish to complain about greenpeaces "alternative motorshow video" I feel this video is discrimitory and desirsory towords 4x4 drivers as it makes frequant referances to inapropriate actions against people who drive 4x4 vechicles. In the video there are instances of spittting in coffee,verbal and physical abuse simply because a person chooses to own and drive a 4x4 vechicle. I take particular issue with the use of strong launguage i.e the word w*****,and p**** when there is no advisory on the websight that this particular video contains adult launguage The video is available at etc etc

perhaps if we all do the same then action will be taken  :?:

the loon

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 23:59:22 »
Quote from: "RedlineMike"
could have amud-club day out & scuttle one o there ships  :lol:  :lol:

I'm not a fan of the french goverment but have to aplaud them on there anti greenpeace actions.

http://www.greenpeace.org.nz/about/rainbow-warrior.asp

Offline Garth

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 00:16:26 »
A copy of my e-mail ( Edited for Moderators)

I used to think of Greenpeace as a decent  (if not a bit radical) organisation.  However after seeing your recent anti 4x4 video I now am of the opinion that you are a bunch of pr**ks (what good for the goose etc.)

That video and the blurb that goes with it is so in-factual that if I was part of your organisation I would be extremely embarrassed by it and would take all measures to distance myself from the pr**k (there's that goose again) that dreamed it up.

You guys and galls have lost the plot and have become vindictive narrow minded pr**ks (bloody geese)

If you were really concerned about emissions you would be directing your resources towards the 1000's of aeroplanes that fly around the world every day that emit the pollutants directly into the upper atmosphere.

Anyway as a closing point I run a 3.9 Range rover classic on LPG so if I was driving it I would have produced less GHE's than the Carbon power station has whilst I have been typing this email.  

Mr D Rudd

An EX sympathiser
"WINNE"
1991 VOUGE SE A WITH LPG
LOOKS GOOD (BUT LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING)
"TIGGER"
1995 SUZUKI VITARA
1" LIFT
225/75X15 AT'S

Offline robpark

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 01:53:00 »
Thanks for all the interest and supportive comments, I'll certainly post any reply I get from my own email to Greenpeace (though I'll actually be surprised if I get one).
Rob.

'93 Jeep Wrangler YJ 4.0 Limited (Manual)

the loon

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 08:47:19 »
Quote from: "robpark"
Thanks for all the interest and supportive comments, I'll certainly post any reply I get from my own email to Greenpeace (though I'll actually be surprised if I get one).

from past expeariance you should get a reply.I will give greenpeace there due here. Unlike the alliance against urburn4x4s who just burry there heads up there own a**es if anyone from the 4x4 comunity questions there made up random nonsense they claim are polotion saftey statistics

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 12:09:40 »
Take a look at this and if it is a viable option I suggest we all pop down to our local Police Station and claim to be a victim.

I'm sure we have members here that are in the Police force, or work alongside them and can give some information as to any success of reporting 'Hate Crime'. Any takers as Greenpeace in my opinion breached the Public Order Act 1986?

Public Order Act 1986

Section 5 - Harassment, alarm or distress

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he -

a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour. or

b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby

(2) An offence under this section may be committed in a public or a private place, except that no offence is committed where the words or behaviour are used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation is displayed, by a person inside a dwelling and the other person is also inside that or another dwelling.

(3) It is a defence for the accused to prove -

a) That he had no reason to believe that there was any person within hearing or sight who was likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress, or

b) That he was inside a dwelling and had no reason to believe that the words or behaviour used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation displayed, would be heard or seen by a person outside that or any other dwelling, or

c) That his conduct was reasonable

(4) A constable may arrest without warrant if -

a) He engages in offensive conduct which the constable warns him to stop, and

b) He engages in further offensive conduct immediately or shortly after the warning

(5) In subsection (4) above 'offensive conduct' means conduct the constable reasonably suspects to constitute an offence under this section, and the conduct mentioned in paragraph (a) and the further conduct need not be of the same nature

(6) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

Lee from Brum

Offline Tiny Tim

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 15:39:18 »
I think you are on to something there !  8)

3.5 Pajero Evolution & heavily modded 2.t TDi JTop mudplugger

Offline rangerider

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 16:56:47 »
As long as you see it in the library, starbucks etc.

You must read it outside of a dwelling. I think it is reasonable to assume that an organistation the size of greenpeace has a prefessional web person who produces content from an office.

Hmm, theres a point, shouldnt all greenpeace staff telecommute to help cut down on damage?
Hela - Disco 200TDi, Still stock for now but watch this space.......
+ 1 battlescar

I lurv the smell of mud in the mornin'

Offline C C

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 17:23:02 »
I think a complaint or two to the Charity Commission will be in order here.

Greenpeace are a registered charity. Promoting hate crimes must surly conflict with any charitable aims they are supposed to have.

An investigation from the Charity Commission will make them sit up and take notice more than scum like us e mailing them is likely to do.

Anyone fancy drafting a suitable complaint that we less articulate types can send in?

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/index.asp

complaining page:

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/publications/cc47.asp#3
C C

TD5 Disco.
Kawasaki ZZR600.

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 17:24:00 »
You could be on to something here brumlee.
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline MK-90

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 10:24:08 »
The anti 4x4 lot have managed to find their way on to the union website of southampton uni :shock:  No surprises there then....at least he seems out numbered

Not sure if you will be able to read the thread but heres the link anyway

http://forum.susu.org/susuforum-thread-16886.html

Probably not even worth a reply :D :)
Adam K

Land Rover 90 200tdi

Offline Rangie3.0LtrDan

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 10:31:44 »
Gorm says ...

Whose idea was this?

I fail to see how a pedestrian/cycle area on a culturally diverse campus is an appopriate location to park some gas guzzling pedestrian unfriendly symbol of American oppression.

Asking students/staff not to bring cars onto campus, and then parking this in a pedestrian area, doesn't seem particularly clever.

If you must permit a 4WD, may a recommend a landrover instead? Preferably with some evidence it has spent some time off road.

Hummers for show, Landies for a pro?

/G

Well it seems he knows what he is talking about, he isnt slamming off roaders, he is slamming a motor that quite obviously wasnt used offroad.

I do agree with the arguments about people having them and not using them how they are supposed to be used, as alot of people are using them as a fashion statement which is where our bad press is coming from.

Offline MK-90

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 10:40:14 »
Not Gorm...the Stephanoph bloke :? During the uni's environmental week i ended up with one of those fake parking tickets :twisted:  Didnt see who did it though...I thought i had another a few days later. Alas the second was real  :oops:

The rest all seem to be rather with it :D
Adam K

Land Rover 90 200tdi

Offline Rangie3.0LtrDan

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 10:43:24 »
Yeah, its just showing its the minority, that forum is the ideal showpiece for our defence to show that most people dont care!

All but one person stated that off roading was fine, one person said it wasnt, although i would like to get in contact with this gimp and ask him what i am supposed to do as i cant walk for more than 20 metres without severe pain, of course i am supposed to sit at home and do nothing like a good little cripple!

Offline Jas278

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2006, 10:50:48 »
Quote from: "DiscoV8iDan"
Gorm says ...

Whose idea was this?

I fail to see how a pedestrian/cycle area on a culturally diverse campus is an appopriate location to park some gas guzzling pedestrian unfriendly symbol of American oppression.

Asking students/staff not to bring cars onto campus, and then parking this in a pedestrian area, doesn't seem particularly clever.

If you must permit a 4WD, may a recommend a landrover instead? Preferably with some evidence it has spent some time off road.

Hummers for show, Landies for a pro?

/G

Well it seems he knows what he is talking about, he isnt slamming off roaders, he is slamming a motor that quite obviously wasnt used offroad.

I do agree with the arguments about people having them and not using them how they are supposed to be used, as alot of people are using them as a fashion statement which is where our bad press is coming from.

EVERYBODY should have a choice, are Porsche drivers all Racing drivers ,no.......................

Discovery TD5......Tricked Up..

Offline discotdi

Attack Member
Anti 4x4
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2006, 19:13:20 »
I saw the Greenpeace video this morning I was a little pixxed to say the least,I have always thought they did a good job showing the public what gose on in the world but that vid was just jumping on the band wagon.

I sent them a mail just say they have lost the plot and should spend money on far more important things .

So this is there repliy.

Sorry the film upset you so much. It was aimed at city gas guzzlers not farmers or other people who need them or who have modified them. It was produced by people inside the advertising industry who normally make car ads. They wanted to do something for us that challenged the whole aspirational nature of 4X4s of giving freedom, sex apppeal, etc etc. It was really just done as a spoof car ad. Some people have said its brilliant, some not. But I respect your views on this and we will take them into account for future work we do on
1969 Dormobile 2A.1969 Series 2a,Series 3 FC ex fire engine,1978 S3 Lightweight

Offline Dirty Gertie

Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2006, 20:16:00 »
My five penn'orth:
Dear God!!!  You people have really overstepped the mark this time!!!

Inciting bullying in the workplace; including name-calling, sending to coventry and SPITTING in peoples drinks!!! DISGUSTING!!!!

When oh when will you people do some PROPER research into the environmental WHOLE LIFE impact of vehicles on our planet???

The majority of pollution from any vehicle is produced during ints PRODUCTION

Some 75% of all Land Rovers EVER manufactured are STILL on the road; how many Prius's will be around 50 odd years after their manufacture?? Very very few I suspect!!

Have you considered the environmental impact of disposing of all the 'eco-friendly' euro boxes that their owners blithely replace every 2 or 3 years? And don't even get me started on the ecological nightmare yet to come when battery-powered vehicles become popular, due to your misguided hate campaigns!! - All those batteries need to be disposed of; oh, and where does their initial power come from? Oh, yes, power stations, burning fossil fuels to make the electricity to charge them!

I suggest that you do some REAL research before you incite hate-crime on people who really DO have the well-being of the planet at heart!

Oh, and I don't want a woolly liberal apology telling me that, as the owner of a 13 year old Land Rover; you didn't mean me; 'Joe Public' sees the Land Rover as the epitome of the 4 wheel drive vehicle, and rightly so, BUT we should NOT be targetted as figures of villification; particularly by people who think it is perfectly alright to fly on holidays several times a year, recycle nothing, change their commuter-box every 2 or three years, so they don't have the 'bother' of maintaining it.

Get real Greenpeace; I suggest you do some REAL research about the people YOU are encouraging the general public to turn violently against, I think you will find there are many who deserve your wrath far more; or are we simply an easy target??

I suggest you READ (properly) http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
and THEN send me your explanation and apology for the disgusting waste of celluloid you have put into the public domain.

Oh and IF you REALLY want to make a difference in carbon emissions; I suggest you lobby the government to drop the punitive taxes currently levied on the use of carbon negative fuels.
Janie.
Willow, Keavy, Angel, Thor, sleep tight my darlings, God bless.[/i]
 K.O.R.C.Darkside4x4

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal