AuthorTopic: Kill Switch  (Read 3503 times)

dew1911

Kill Switch
« on: July 15, 2006, 16:38:19 »
Just wondering if anyone has fitted a Kill Switch to a 90/110 and how easy it was.

What I was basically thinking was a simple flick switch that could be hidden in the LR somewhere that if we parked anywhere we didn't feel safe we could press and it'd preven the engine from starting.

Any suggestions on where would be best to put the switch in the circuit. I was thinking between the battery and the starter motor.

Cheers,
David.

Offline Litch

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Kill Switch
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 17:40:19 »
I have had a switch in the past (fuel solanoid supply is best as that way it will turn but never start, it will also kill the engine) but to be perfectly honest you can't beat an FIA master-switch.
These isolate the battery and will also kill the engine & protect the alternator when operated. I have fitted one to each of my LR's for the best part of 20-years and I wouldn't be without one. Easy enough to fit and cost around £20.
Don't confuse with the cheaper battery isolator switches which do nothing other than isolate the battery, hit this when the engine is running and you won't stop the engine but you will probably damage your alternator.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 08:50:14 »
So, where do you get one, and how do you wire it in/best place to locate it??

Cheers
Ollie
sex is the breakfast of champions

dew1911

Kill Switch
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 12:10:50 »
Quote from: "Ollie"
So, where do you get one, and how do you wire it in/best place to locate it??

Cheers
Ollie

Seconded.

My idea was to put it in the battery compartment then it couldn't be easily knocked, and it would have made it easier to just stick the switch in the live feed.

Wolfie

Kill Switch
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 12:23:27 »
Quote from: "Ollie"
where do you get one

Vehicle Wiring Products
Demon Tweeks

For wiring, not sure but suspect that it'll come with a wiring diagram.

Mine on the racer is through the front face of the passengers seat box. Heather also has some in the same place but they are just isolators for the additional circuits (winch, roof lights, inverter(although that isnt there anymore))

Regards

Wolfie

Offline Litch

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 17:19:38 »
You can pick them up from either of the above mentioned or just about any car accessory shop.
For wiring in, they come with a wiring diagram but this seems to cause some people problems though I can't see why.
On my 90 mine is on the seatbox near the tunnel, easy to reach but doesn't mean you have to extend the battery cables. On my old S111 I had it in the the centre of thge dash but that was fitted with harnesses so it had to be very close. Ollie, you are very near me (Cranfield) so you are welcome to pop up and have a look.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline colinreed

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 17:23:39 »

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 22:16:10 »
can you get one that can handle winch currents?  I think my winch can draw up to 400 amps or something like that - all the ones I've seen are only rated to 250 amps :-(

Matthew

Offline Litch

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 20:31:25 »
Yes, they are pretty widely available.
I measured the current my winch was drawing (being an electrician meant I had access to the necessary gear at the time) and while I can't remember the exact figure I am sure it was in excess of 300A. Never had a problem with the switch.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 21:29:08 »
got any info on where as I'm not having any joy
can only find ones at 250 amps

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 17:32:36 »
:D the place where i work do heavy duty ones not sure on the amp rating i'll check for you and post a reply but they are used for commercial vehicle's so can handle heavy current :D
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 20:10:09 »
thanks for that - any info appreciated.. especially appreciated are test samples ;)

Matt

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 20:04:39 »
:D The one i've got is rated at 500 amps continuous in 12v and 2500amps intermitently it is the same as what volvo used on there trucks and they where up to sixteen litres so a 2.5 land rover should be easy any further details just ask.. Oh and it's about £23.00 +vat lucas used to sell these for about £60.. :lol:
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 22:34:20 »
can you get me one ;)  perrrrrleeeeese?

AbyssDJ

Kill Switch
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 01:39:00 »
the best place for a cut switch is not the battery if you ask me ;)

fuel cut solenoid for me. thief gets in, tries to start it numerous times and everyone hears it, sees it, and there you go

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 06:59:12 »
:D Yes i admit the fuel cut off is the best form of cut off the only problem i have had with them is when you forget yourself ,drive off ,run out of fuel then have to get the spanners out and bleed the system and it's normally raining and you had to be somewhere 10 mins ago.. :? by the way if you need one of these you can ring A.B.Butt ltd on 01162513344 they do credit card payment over the phone OH and they do fuel cut off's as well!! Part no. RIP MBS3X oh the rating on the listing is for 24v which is half the 12v hope this helps

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 10:13:59 »
Quote from: "abyssdj"
the best place for a cut switch is not the battery if you ask me ;)

fuel cut solenoid for me. thief gets in, tries to start it numerous times and everyone hears it, sees it, and there you go

I was going to post why and how crims get around those sorts fo things but then thought better of it :(

If someone tried to start my car, unless I noticed myself no one else would pay the blindest bit of notice, just like car alarms, people tend to walk the otehr way instead!

Matt

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 10:19:00 »
Quote from: "dreadnought110"
:D Yes i admit the fuel cut off is the best form of cut off the only problem i have had with them is when you forget yourself ,drive off ,run out of fuel then have to get the spanners out and bleed the system and it's normally raining and you had to be somewhere 10 mins ago.. :? by the way if you need one of these you can ring A.B.Butt ltd on 01162513344 they do credit card payment over the phone OH and they do fuel cut off's as well!! Part no. RIP MBS3X oh the rating on the listing is for 24v which is half the 12v hope this helps

just phoned one and ordered one thanks!  :-)  the cut off is not really for theft prevention it's for winch issolation.. after an electrical fire on a 30 amp cable, I'm not sure I want to see what happens if 300amp+ cable catches!

If you cut off the rover diesel on the inj pump I thought it cuts out straight away doesn't it?

dew1911

Kill Switch
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 10:23:55 »
Might see about ordering one myself then... It's just around here and Yorkshire there's been A LOT of Landies stolen, and I just want to make mine as b****y as possible to them.

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 11:19:35 »
The best form of stopping a theft is going to be physical immobilisation.  An alarm is only useful if you can hear it and come to the rescue or it can put off someone enough to leave the vehicle alone.

How often have you apprehended someone whos car alarm is going off?  I've even seen a car with the alarm being going off being driven along the road.. most peoples reaction was to look the other way!

So how to immobilise a vehcile?  Rmove the battery - that kills all circuits in the car.  Bump starting is a possibility with a diesel but only if the fuel solenoid is open.  The alternator will not charge unless it has a current to start it off I seem to remember.  The alternator will not be at all happy without a battery anyway.

Remove the steering wheel.. A determined thief who has specifically picked that vehicle will have broght one with them though.

Lock the car.. if parked up at home lock your car to something immovable.  ok not particularly practical but worth a thought especially if the car is left about a lot.

Thjat reminds me if I dont get a standard wheel I might see about a removable steering boss.

Matthew

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 20:19:25 »
:( The sad fact is if they want your Landy then they will get it, round our way they have nicked them on trailers and no security system will stop them though i would be tempted to wire the door handle and seats to the mains,with an alarm you are playing for time and hopefully alerting you to the fact.mind you you can get a pager for alerting you when your alarm has gone off! The only other thing is a trakker device! p.s if you are using a master switch for imobilising your vehicle i would advise you put a fuse holder with a 25 amp fuse in it to keep radio codes and alarm/imobilisers working and if any one trys anything i.e starting it just blows the fuse.. hope this helps... :)

Offline rangerider

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 20:41:46 »
try a search for "dis-car-nect" or combos thereof.

disconnects the battery except for a 5amp line for radio memorys, alarms, central locking etc.
Hela - Disco 200TDi, Still stock for now but watch this space.......
+ 1 battlescar

I lurv the smell of mud in the mornin'

dew1911

Kill Switch
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 21:05:25 »
The only one I considered that would stand a chance of working would be to have one of those pillar things in the drive, but that's a bit extreme.

Offline Litch

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 21:46:40 »
I've got an alarm, FIA battery-cutout (cuts the fuel solanoid as well), Clutch Claw and Snap-Off removable steering-wheel but if they want it they will take it. All I can hope is that I have made it awkward for them and they might try one of the (many) other LR's in my village.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 19:16:53 »
:) I do have another security measure and you can't get past Her when she's in it..

AbyssDJ

Kill Switch
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 19:19:02 »
as has been said, all you can do is put them off trying by making it very awkward... the most sensible alarm to fit is one with tilt sensors, which trigger the alarm if it even remotely moves.

put a smoke bomb on the roof that goes off with the alarm... people will notice that one ;)

Offline tiltboy

Attack Member
thieving scumbags
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 12:09:10 »
To prevent the trailer thing I've got a snap off steering wheel like Litch, I put the vehicle on full lock then take the wheel off!

Jez
TREAD LIGHTLY

DEFENDER 90 200 TDI SOFT TOP
235/85/16 BFG MT'S
2" LIFT
UNDERBODY PROTECTION
SNAP OFF STEERING WHEEL
SAFARI SNORKEL

SANKEY TRAILER

1950 80" TRIALER
DEFENDER 90 200TDi CHT
1987 RANGE ROVER 3.5EFI FOR SALE!!
SKODA SUPERB TDI ELEGANCE

defenderdan

Re: thieving scumbags
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 20:01:48 »
Quote from: "tiltboy"
To prevent the trailer thing I've got a snap off steering wheel like Litch, I put the vehicle on full lock then take the wheel off!

Jez

That's what vicegrips were invented for :twisted:

Offline Litch

Attack Member
Kill Switch
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 20:31:37 »
Like already said, if they want it they will take it but having no wheel is just one more thing to (try) and make life more difficult for them.

Jez. You haven't got a Snap-Off like me, I've got one like yours (you got yours first).
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline tiltboy

Attack Member
me first
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2006, 09:55:39 »
Oh alright then Al - I'm the best, again!  :lol:

Vice grips!!!!!  -   Like to see it done!  :?

I was thinking of fitting a Mech-lock into the brake line, but apparently it's illegal! Oh well.

With regard to kill switches, I used to run a Camel 110 (genuine) and the kill switch (nice metal one) was in the cubby box, nicely out of the way. I'd love to know who makes those nice gold annodised kill switches

Jez
TREAD LIGHTLY

DEFENDER 90 200 TDI SOFT TOP
235/85/16 BFG MT'S
2" LIFT
UNDERBODY PROTECTION
SNAP OFF STEERING WHEEL
SAFARI SNORKEL

SANKEY TRAILER

1950 80" TRIALER
DEFENDER 90 200TDi CHT
1987 RANGE ROVER 3.5EFI FOR SALE!!