AuthorTopic: Fairey Winch Plate Mountings  (Read 743 times)

Offline Penguinius

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Fairey Winch Plate Mountings
« on: July 14, 2006, 15:33:06 »
Hello there guys and gals - I've lurked here for a while, Now I could do with some advice.

After Biting the bullet and deciding that enough plates have been welded to the underside of my Series 3 and a new chassis is on call. This morining I removed the Capstan on the front and as I came to remove the Mounting plate for it I hit a snag,

The Bolts that hold it on the front crossmember are screwed into what look like expanding nuts of some kind, Anyone know where I can get my hands on some of these for the new chassis or does anyone have any better suggestions for mounting the winch as I obviously don't want to compromise on strength for the winch mount.

Thanks for your help in advance.
1984 Series III 88" CSW

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 19:24:09 »
Hello.

Yes you can get the 'Riv' nut's at any specalist nut and bolt shop.

You can use those and for the standard capstan that'll do the job. Else you could drill right through the front crossmember, and with use of a spreader plate 5 mill odd bit of steel plate. to the near size of the rear face of the crossmember. you could bolt straight through the crossmember and so providing enough strength.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline Canada Al

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 22:44:47 »
if you have to drill through the cross member you need to fit tubes into the holes so you don't crush the box section . I don't rate riv-nuts my self and would use tubes thru or angle seam welded to the cross member .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal