AuthorTopic: Series 2a Front Wing Removal  (Read 8998 times)

Offline Northmead

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Series 2a Front Wing Removal
« on: July 13, 2006, 22:15:56 »
Hello All,

This might seem a really daft question but please how do you remove the front wings on a series 2a landrover.

This is my first attempt at restoring a land rover and I have undone all the bolts that I can find but the inner mud shields will not come loose nor will the wings themselves come loose.

Can anybody give me step by step instructions on where I am going wrong.

Are there any concealed bolts that I have not undone. I have a bucket full of nuts and bolts but the wings are still on there solid.

Desparate please Help.

Yours in advance.

Brian.

:cry:  :cry:  :(  :(
1993 200 Tdi 5 Door Blue Discovery
1994 300 Tdi  5 Door Gold Discovery
1966 Series 2  2.25 Petrol Green LWB 5 Dr Station Wagon
--------------------------------
CB Radio : Sat Nav : Goodyear AT's : Bull Bar & Spots : K & N Filters : Rear Light Bar :
Shiny Blue Crew 021
My Website http://www.northmead4x4.co.uk

Offline Canada Al

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 22:59:53 »
Have you removed the bolts from the front panel . And the door piller and across the top of the bulkhead . there may be one or two on the bulkhead to chassis bracket . Disconect the wires and give it a good shove to break the rust seal . Now look to see whats still got it and remove these bolts . repeat untill it comes off . ......Al

Offline Litch

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 09:05:43 »
For step by step instructions you can't really do better than a manual (Haynes is fine), even if they don't do a step by step seqeunce of yor paticular job they include exploded pictures so you can see where all the fixings are.
Their Series manuals cover the S11A.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 14:59:50 »
First of all remove the inner wing mudshield: This comprises of four bolts that attach it to the footwell and three at the top that attach it to the wing. ( If it is the drivers side remember that there is the Steering box cover to remove as well)

Next is to remove the wiring that attaches the side and indicator lamps to the main loom. on the drivers side, remember that on the drivers side the loom is attached to the inner wing.

Then remove the bolts that are between the wing and the bulkhead going verticaly. These are captive so should be a case of unscrewing them using a large screwdriver. ( NB It is a tight fit between the wing skin and the footwell small hands and being ambedextrous helps!)

Next up is to remove the bolts that hold the wing onto the front panel. Ususal method if they are rusted is with a 4 inch angle grinder. (leave one just on so to prevent the wing sagging down and bending.)

then whilst down there, remove the bolt between the wing and the bulkhead support bracket.

Then on top of the wing next to the bulkhead, there is a few bolts that hold the wing on.

After removing all these ( not forgetting the one left on the front) A good firm shove and a lift should see the front wing liberated from the vehicle.

A Good website to help you in your restoraton is the The Land-Rover Series 2 Club Go on to the main site and then onto the forum link and join up. There is lots of infomation and plenty of people willing to offer their advice.

HTH

Rowan.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline Northmead

Attack Member
Thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 23:50:58 »
Thanks Guys.

Job Done ,,,Easy When you know how  !!!!

Brian

8)  8)  8)
1993 200 Tdi 5 Door Blue Discovery
1994 300 Tdi  5 Door Gold Discovery
1966 Series 2  2.25 Petrol Green LWB 5 Dr Station Wagon
CB Radio : Sat Nav : Goodyear AT's : Bull Bar & Spots : K & N Filters : Rear Light Bar :
Shiny Blue Crew 021
My Website http://www.northmead4x4.co.uk

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 09:47:04 »
so which part was giving you trouble

the parts i had a problem with was the bulkhead bolts, i dint have the right size socket for them
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline Joe King

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 15:39:52 »
Quote from: "Devon-Rover"
A Good website to help you in your restoraton is the The Land-Rover Series 2 Club Go on to the main site and then onto the forum link and join up. There is lots of infomation and plenty of people willing to offer their advice.

HTH

Rowan.

There's also quite a few tossers on there as well. Stick to this place I'd recommend here for helpfulness and friendlyness.  Yes I admit I'm barred from there and might hold a grudge, but alas I don't. This place is everything and more than the forum suggested above.

Edited to say....there's one less tosser on there now I've been barred. :lol:  :wink:
It saves someone else writing it. :lol:
Sorry but I'm only Joeking

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 22:55:24 »
Quote from: "Joe King"

there's one less tosser on there now I've been barred. :lol:  :wink:
It saves someone else writing it. :lol:
Wouldnt dream of writing it - often thought it though :wink:  See ya soon matey :D

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 00:29:24 »
Well everyplace has their Muppet's and so the same is said about the Internet and the many fora that there is in existence.
Yes the S2C and the forum which is run independently to the club so there isn't any need to drag the name down. It could have been called something completely different and still attract the same crowd of various characters.

Where ever you go there is a band of persons who will try and ruin it for other people that is the way the world works.

Your own personal experience isn't unfortunately a bench mark to what makes a forum good or bad but you can give your representations to a wider audience for them to decided what they want to do. I might have my reservations about forums but i wouldn't go and bad mouth them on another forum, that is just poor show. IMHO i don't have a bad word to say about any other LR forum on the net. I'm not a member of the all. Some may not the be to my taste but i wouldn't go about saying they are full of characters of nefarious intentions.

VBR
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal