AuthorTopic: Battery for winch?  (Read 1380 times)

marjan

Battery for winch?
« on: July 12, 2006, 19:15:18 »
OK, one for the electrical wizards out there.

I'm thinking of putting one of these winches on my Vitara via a winch bumper .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-6000lb-recovery-winch-4x4-off-road-Suzki-Vitara_W0QQitemZ260006861190QQihZ016QQcategoryZ9895QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Will I need to upgrade the battery to a larger one or will the standard one manage?.

Offline MK1

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Battery for winch?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 19:34:28 »
Generally speaking you will need a battery with a minimum 650 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA).

Offline Damon

Attack Member
Battery for winch?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 09:48:06 »
or add an extra battery.

I used to run 2 standard batteries on my SJ413 with my winch and that was fine, but it depends how much you will use the winch.  If you expect to use the winch a lot it could be worth investing in an Optima gel filled battery  :)

The problem with the Vit is lack of space under the bonnet for the extra battery  :(
- Project SE416 -

Feel the FEAR - and do it anyway!!  :)

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Battery for winch?
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 20:36:52 »
im with damon
fit a 2nd battery ive got 2 in gen-x one each side of the engine bay got a astra battery in standard possition and a metro on the other side fits nice and snuggly

simon

marjan

Battery for winch?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 07:26:35 »
So presumably these 2 batterys will need wiring in parallel to increase amperage but still be 12v?.

Offline Damon

Attack Member
Battery for winch?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 12:38:53 »
Quote from: "marjan"
So presumably these 2 batterys will need wiring in parallel to increase amperage but still be 12v?.

Spot on  :)
- Project SE416 -

Feel the FEAR - and do it anyway!!  :)

Offline SuzukiShrek

Attack Member
Battery for winch?
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 22:14:36 »

Spot on  

No, no, no, no and no.  And just in case you're still unsure,  NO.

Sorry to shout but for Gods sake don't wire batteries in parallel unless they are brand new and exactly the same.  Especially if you have them wired up for different circuits (like one for the winch and one for cranking the engine).

Why?  Because if there is any imbalance between the batteries, for instance, if they are different makes or different ages or differently discharged, then the one with the greater capacity will discharge into the one that has lesser capacity very quickly and with potentially VERY dangerous results.  Possibly even exploding!

Look here for a far better explanation of the problem and a good, simple and effective (if not ugly) solution.

You may also want to consider what type of battery you use.  Some folks use normal "car" batteries that are designed for cranking the engine whilst others use Marine or Deep Cycle batteries.  The Optima range of batteries are very very good but very very expensive too.  It's probably best to avoid the Marine type as they are designed for deep discharge which sounds ideal for winching, but the problem is that most winches will suck vast amounts of current when under full load (which a good reason to buy a bigger winch than you need so it's under less load).  Big currents are bad for Marine batteries because they are designed to supply low currents for hours and hours on end, like lights, not high bursts of current for comparatively short times, like winching.  However, most car batteries are designed for starting engines which big current draw for a short time so they are better, but get one that is as big (current burst wise) as your winch needs - most 9000lb winches will suck about 450A, if not more, at full load on first layer.
If it aint broke.... break it so I can upgrade it.

If you don't like what I say, please proceed to bang your head against the nearest wall until any such memory of my comments have been erased from your thoughts.

WARNING: Spell checker is OFF, speeling may be erotic.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal