AuthorTopic: a new chapter in my life  (Read 9536 times)

Offline strapping young lad

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
a new chapter in my life
« on: July 07, 2006, 10:21:53 »
as of tomorrow i am banned from virtually all food and drink and target end of october to lose 6 stone :)

ive had to pass a medical (which cost me 75 quid) and this diet costs me 66 quid per week (not for the faint hearted!

my vices list as follows!

pepsi
kitkat
chinese
beef
lamb

im doing the lighter life program and im scared and excited at the same time!

www.lighterlife.co.uk

(must need to lost more than 3 stone to be eligible)

wish me luck

:(blackeye):

Offline discograham

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 10:31:55 »
GOOD LUCK..... :shock:

You'le get there....  if you want it bad enough... :lol:
*The grave of Karl Marx is just another communist plot*
*Racial prejudice is a pigment of the imagination*
*Last Tuesdays meeting of the apathy society has just been cancelled*

HORNET
Disco 300tdi ES, Rebel steering guard, QT diff guards, QT cones, Pro-comp ES9000 shocks, 2" lift, Extended stops,  Safari snorkel, 33/12.50/15 Khumo's, Greenway light bar, Rock and tree sliders, nice new door seals and an empty wallet.

MKMC

www.crag-uk.org

www.northants-green-lane.co.uk

www.northants4x4.com

Offline Baby_Rhino

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 10:36:10 »
good luck  :D  listen to your trainers (they really know there stuff!) and get yourself a stepper or exercise bike so u can do a mini workout in front of the tv.

oooooh and a swiss fitness ball!!! cannot recommend those enough!!!
4x4x4play! ;) They call me Emms...

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 10:37:04 »
Good luck Dyfed, at lest you can get all the required exercide walking your canine guests??

A few years ago I decided I was getting too porky & got the bikes back out.
I'm about 5'9" & had  got to almost 12stone
So I thought if Lance Armstrong can come back from his cancer & win the Tour, I can lose weight.

I cut out all fried food, chocolate, cakes, sweets, fizzy drinks, etc....
& simply rode as much as I could.

I got to the point where I could drop a friend who was (very) race-fit on any hill, & at any distance.
very Within 3 months I dropped down to 9stone.

The problem was that SWMBO still worked at the Hospital then, & she got fed-up of people asking if there was something (medically) wrong with me to lose weight so rapidly.

Be prepared for the "Are You Alright??" questions as you get closer to your target.

I ought to get the bikes out again, as I'm creeping up on 11stone :oops:
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 10:48:32 »
cheers

the counsellor said there is a bloke already attending who has lost 9 stone in 21 weeks!  :shock:

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 11:25:09 »
What do you get for the £66 every week ?

John.
John.

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 12:15:52 »
Quote from: "Bush Tucker Man"
...almost 12stone...

I remember 12 stone... vaguely!

8-[

Offline LOULA

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 12:21:42 »
Good Luck

I have dieted since my early 20's and tried all manor of diets which i have lost weight and put back on

As for your vices they seems quite good compared to some of these people that you see on You are what you eat!!!!  

I have been referred to a dietician now as i have been diagnosed with irratable bowel syndrome, so hopefully i will be on my way to lose weight too

Hope it goes well keep us informed
Part owner of Series III and owner of My beloved Freelander 2.0TD4 ( which is still a proper landrover)

www.paidia4x4.com

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 12:24:23 »
Quote from: "Skibum346"
...almost 12stone...

8-[

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  dont we all :(
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline NiceBlueWellies

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 14:10:35 »
Quote from: "strapping young lad"
cheers

the counsellor said there is a bloke already attending who has lost 9 stone in 21 weeks!  :shock:

That's far too fast!  I used to work for a well known diet company, and all the health recommendations have to followed.  Plus studied (paid for entirely by myslef) and passed on a diet and nutrional course.

Healthy weight loss is 1-2Lb per week.  Initial loss in week 1-2 can be more, but to continually drop so much weight is not good for you.  Cutting out food groups i.e. carb, proteins, all fats, etc is not good for you.  You need to make sure you are getting all your vitamin and minerals that the body needs.

My advice is - take it easy, don't expect too much of yourself and don't think that you have blown it if you have a bad day/week.  There is always the following day/week to get back on track.  If you eat normal foods when losing weight - write down what you consume, as you won't realise how much you have had otherwise.  :wink:

GOOD LUCK - BELIEVE YOU CAN DO IT AND YOU WILL.
Jules

Have wellies, get muddy ;-)

Offline Mart

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 14:12:38 »
i can recommend kickboxing for burning off the calories and its enjoyable too, i enjoy leathering some pads rather than sweating in a gym and the good thing is you'll notice the turn in your muscle tone straight away plus you'll always have the advantage if you get in a bit of a tussle.
Take nothing but photos, Leave nothing but footprints!!!      SUPERSUZUKI owner

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 14:20:15 »
Quote from: "LOULA"

I have been referred to a dietician now as i have been diagnosed with irratable bowel syndrome, so hopefully i will be on my way to lose weight too

It's really hard to control your weigth with that too, I have a couple of freinds who have it and it seems to make you body think you are starving so it puts fat on just as if you had eaten nothing.

I put on a lot of weight when I stopped cycling (partly as I lost my job, partly because of a cycliing accident) and I ended up learning to swim which I really enjoy.  Trouble is I can't do crawl, I don't seem to have the coordination and I have trouble with my left shoulder too (same accident).  With a little work though my breast-stroke was as fast as some poeple's crawl anyway :)

Must admit I miss cycling sometimes but when I've an hour free I feel guilty if I don't take the dogs out with me and you can just imagine the chaos I'd have if I was trying to cycle at the same time.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 14:23:32 »
....lost 9 stone in 21 weeks!  :shock:

I was about to comment on this, but then got to Julie's post. Can't agree more. Rapid weight loss, although seemingly good at the time, can have long term negative effects.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 14:24:39 »
you get 4 foodpacks per day for 7 days

the foodpack is either a soup or a shake

also after the 1st week you also get a crunch bar per day too.

you can drink black coffee and tea

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 14:52:48 »
Quote from: "NicePinkWellies"
cheers

That's far too fast!  I used to work for a well known diet company, and all the health recommendations have to followed.  Plus studied (paid for entirely by myslef) and passed on a diet and nutrional course.

that may be too fast but the guy feels great, isnt suffering and has kept the weight off for over 12 months so it does work

i would hazard that some people would tell you to lose weight gradually and use their product for longer ;)

Offline NiceBlueWellies

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 15:01:23 »
No, I say, lose it gradually and learn how to keep it off for life.   :?

Learn to eat "normal" food healthily.  :wink:

Fair enough, every diet organisation is trying to keep you buying their products, after all they are a business.  Why waste money on their stuff, there are plenty of foods in the shops that are a lot cheaper and healthier - you just have to spend a little time looking for them.  Most can though be found in the fruit and veg isles!!!!!!! :lol:

Incorporate a balanced diet and a bit of exercise and bobs your uncle!

The odd treat never hurt anyone either - wouldn't life be boring without them.  :twisted:
Jules

Offline Karen696

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 15:09:00 »
I agree with Julie, however some people's diets are so lousy that they loose weight very quickly when they are on any 'diet' that limits their food intake.  

At my local Slimming World group one lady joined and lost 7 and a half pounds every week for three weeks, the consultant was actually a bit concerned until she described her typical 'pre-diet' diet!  For example she thought nothing of eating two or three packets of biscuits at a sitting, and drank lager or wine every night of the week.

I've lost on average 2lb per week going to my local Slimming World group, which is a very balanced diet, with LOTS of fruit and vegetables.  I've now lost 1 and a 1/2 stone and know I will make it to target eventually.   I am also cheered by the fact that there are people at the group (you get free membership when you reach target) who have been 'at' target for 2 or 3 years, they are still willing to encourgage the newbies like me and pass on their success tips.

Besides, I like FOOD, I don't want to eat cereal bars and drink meal replacement shakes/soups and believe me I have tried them.  Besides I certainly can't afford 66 quid a week to eat them - I have a landrover to maintain......

Good luck all the same, I hope it works for you.
"Sally" 3.5L V8 110 - a Camper Van with Attitude!
"Daisy" 200TDi Defender 90 - when he lets me play with it

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 16:04:21 »
Quote from: "beast5680"
Quote from: "Skibum346"
...almost 12stone...

8-[

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  dont we all :(

On the way past about 10 years ago!!!! :(

I found teaching Kids footy on a Sunday morning is helping...I eat well, although I do eat too much, but still enjoy the odd Choccy bar, the odd bag of peanuts etc. have lost ~ 8lb since Jan.... But feel a lot better and a fair amount has turned to muscle. Try to do a daily walk, but in effect, prob average ~ 2 x 35 min walks a week, plus maybe 4 x 20min walks (From the station to the office or in reverse) a week. I don't feel particularly hungry, and getting fitter and loosing weight slowely.... that'll do me.

EE :twisted:

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 16:33:37 »
the problem i have currenty is that i have very low will power and cannot stop going to the machine for a choccy or two

ive tried all the known diets , but not the atkins at doesnt appeal to my arteries! ;) and found it all too easy to ease of by having a choccy bar now and then , which then escalated and i gave up

since i paid 75 quid for the medical and the weekly amount for the diet is 66 quid means that if i dont follow i lose out both on weight loss and financially

tbh saying eat healthily is the way to lose weight which is blindingly obvious but if it were that simple this nation wouldnt have an obesity problem amongst the teens and adults.

as yazz said.. the only way is up! ;)

Offline NiceBlueWellies

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 16:54:19 »

tbh saying eat healthily is the way to lose weight which is blindingly obvious but if it were that simple this nation wouldnt have an obesity problem amongst the teens and adults.

The bad just tastes so nice, admitted.  Any cream cake, chocolate, lots of cheese, sausage rolls, crisps, fried food, cream, etc, etc,etc.

When you see what it does to your insides though, you get shocked into realising that taste is not everything!  :shock:  

Moderation is the key, but greed takes over.  I can still be greedy, but I know when I am doing so.  We eat because we can.  If such "nice" food wasn't so readily available, the population wouldn't be stuggling with obesity.  Then there are the additives and other crap that goes into food i.e. hydrogenated fat.  Manufacturers don't help the public, they help their pockets - just like the diet industry.

We also don't have time to prepare the meals that used to be the ones on the table many years ago.  There was so much more fresh food eaten then that obesity was virtually unheard of.  Labour saving devices also play their part.  But god forbid my washing machine or hoover pack up! :shock:

My house policy is, if it isn't in the house, then I can't go and eat it!  Or buy biscuits, etc, that others in the house like, and I don't.  :wink:

Dare I admit, I once weighed 15St!!!!!!!!!!  That was approx 10 years ago when I lost the weight.  I now hang around 9St.  Have been 8 1/2St when stressed to the hilt, and looked fantastic, but I couldn't maintain it, so 9St is ok for me.  At 5Ft 3" I don't want to go back to how I used to feel, and that stops me from pigging out loads.

I couldn't live a life without eating normal food though.  So I learnt how to make the best choices for me, and how to cook it and more importantly ENJOY it.

I hope you find what works for you, not everyone is the same, and if you ever need any help or encouragement, drop me a line.  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
Jules

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2006, 17:06:54 »
thing is i wasnt fat till i worked in an office!

when i worked for my dad in his builder's merchant or our farm i would be out all day
now im in a chair in airconned office im bored!

Offline NiceBlueWellies

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 17:10:20 »
Time for a new, exciting, physical job.  :wink:
Jules

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
  • I'm BACK..possibly..LOL
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 18:00:26 »
Interesting post.. I had a heart scare 2 years ago (i was 18 stone then) and after 13 weeks of umming and ahhing they told me to stop smoking (I dont smoke) cut down on drinking (if i have 1 can a week thats it!!).. never once mentioned my weight though!! all i had was 'well your a lorry driver its an occupational hazard!'
2 years later I am the wrong side of 20 stone  :oops: ....had a few little 'grumbles' in the old ticker..so i am seriously looking into dieting - only problem being the hours i eat, usually nothing during the day and a good meal from 8pm onwards.. early starts and late finishes mean we dont get chance to eat as a family much..
i have been 'big' all my life -although when i first left home i went down to 11 stone - but looked seriously ill! (i am just over 6 foot when my back is straight)
realistically aiming for 15 stone, as i am supposed to be 12 1/2  :shock: ..
any ideas or diet sheets would be gratefully accepted ;)
Be afraid. Be very afraid
YAM YAM SQUAD
Life's a journey - so remember to pay FULL fare!

dew1911

a new chapter in my life
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 18:03:43 »
Quote from: "bezzabsa"
well your a lorry driver its an occupational hazard!

What a load of balls!!! Both My grandads, and my dad have been Lorry drivers all there lives and none of them are. My dads 5ft 11 and just under 11 stone, but he always was a lanky buggar...

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 19:27:59 »
i can see why the charts state you should be of a certain weight if you are a certain height, but if you are big boned (if such a thing exists) then if you were the weight they tell you, you would look a bit unhealthy i would think

personally i want to be thin and fit but not thin and lanky

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2006, 19:37:27 »
i was 14 ish stone when i left school & since getting ajob im now down to 10 stone & have been there abouts for 4 1/2 years,

just slightly underweight
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline jaws

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2006, 20:00:34 »
i wish i could put weight on.i'm 6ft 1,weigh inbetween 9stone and 9.5 this alters daily.i can eat as much [!Expletive Deleted!] as i like,drink as much as i like and still remain the same.i would love to weigh 10-11 stone coz workin on hgvs ain't easy when most things weigh nore that you! :wink:
if only i was as intelligent as i look!
why do ex's never get the hint...STOP STALKING ME,THIS MEANS YOU!
engaged an never happier!

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2006, 20:07:23 »
Quote from: "jaws"
i wish i could put weight on.i'm 6ft 1,weigh inbetween 9stone and 9.5 this alters daily.i can eat as much !Expletive Deleted! as i like,drink as much as i like and still remain the same.i would love to weigh 10-11 stone coz workin on hgvs ain't easy when most things weigh nore that you! :wink:

I was allus underweight until 25ish now i'm gaining weight.  Gone from 30" pants needing belting on till im nowe a fat sod in 34" in 2 years or so :oops: .  13.5 stone last time i looked but being a bloke i dont really keep track.
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Attack Member
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2006, 21:09:07 »
oh to be underweight  :roll:

if you are under weight then you have an easier way of getting to your weight than i do.

it depends on your role in work and how you occupy your time when you are in work, as there are times when work is quiet, and its those times when i start to dabble in the sugary stuff

if ive got interesting things to do and am quite busy then time flies, its when time drags... that does my nut in.

so as of monday when i go back to work i wont have any money on me to squander, and me mates in work will help, although my boss wants me to fail, dont think a good looking welshman with a bod to die for sitting next to a pie eater from wigan will make him feel good ;)

Offline POTASH

Attack Member
    • cheshire
a new chapter in my life
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2006, 21:30:35 »
im the correct weight for my height, trouble is i should be 10ft tall
discovery200tdi homemade snorkel
                        homemade steering guard
                  homemade tank guard