AuthorTopic: 8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine  (Read 7185 times)

Offline BrumLee

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« on: July 03, 2006, 00:25:33 »
My wife's Vitara has crankcase compression and she's moaning about the oil leaks and poor fuel return.

Is it viable to change from the 8 valve to 16 valve with CFI or is it too much work  :cry: would the carb and manifold from the 8 valve engine fit a 16 valve?
Lee from Brum

Offline suzota

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 09:16:53 »
its masses of work, as you have to instal all the ecu to run the injection system
suzuki vitara on hilux axles with leaf springs.
35/13.50 mudzilla's
snorkel
twin t cases.
twin ramsey 8000 winches.
procomp e3000 shocks with 14" of travel.
more flex yeah baby
now with V12 power

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 10:43:58 »
Quote from: "suzota"
its masses of work, as you have to instal all the ecu to run the injection system

Thought it wouldn't be as simple as adding a loom and ECU  :cry: It looks like we'll have to stick another 8 valve lump in and continue with the "it's not doing many miles for £15"  :roll:

Thanks anyway  8)
Lee from Brum

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 22:58:28 »
Mines not there yet but still thinking if I dont go the 1.8T VAG engine route I may get an 8V lump and gradually rebuild it as and when so when it does go I have a 'get out'.

You tried strippingthe various breathers out and blowing all the vacuum lines out?
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Paul.K/LuckyTrucker

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 18:47:52 »
Hi there, I don't know what it is about Suzukies but fuel efficient they ain't. My 1.6 Vitara 8v best I could get out of it was about 28mpg and sometimes less. I get the same fuel consumption with my tdi Disco. But then if we wanted good fuel consumption we would buy a Renault Clio or some other Euro Jelly Mould. We drive 4x4 because we like what 4x4s can do so consequently we have to pay for it.
One thing I have heard about the 16v engine is that the heads are prone to cracking between the valves. No doubt there are people out there who can prove me wrong but I would stay clear of them.

Best of luck.
www.tv4x4.co.uk
Cheers LuckyTrucker

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 18:54:50 »
Quote from: "Paul.K/LuckyTrucker"
Hi there, I don't know what it is about Suzukies but fuel efficient they ain't. My 1.6 Vitara 8v best I could get out of it was about 28mpg and sometimes less. I get the same fuel consumption with my tdi Disco. But then if we wanted good fuel consumption we would buy a Renault Clio or some other Euro Jelly Mould. We drive 4x4 because we like what 4x4s can do so consequently we have to pay for it.
One thing I have heard about the 16v engine is that the heads are prone to cracking between the valves. No doubt there are people out there who can prove me wrong but I would stay clear of them.

Best of luck.

I've rebuilt two 16V top ends because the vlaves had been 'eaten' Both times was no 1 and no 3 iirc. For definate it was the same cylinders on both. Bothe needed t have the head fairly extensively reconditioned and ended up with oversized valves, flowed and skimmed :)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline P.R.Howler

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 22:42:08 »
Thinking of putting a Transit 2.5td with 5 speed box in my 413 Lwb, if its not too much messin with wiring. Any thoughts on this folks ???
32 tonne rigid comin' at ya

marjan

8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 16:57:19 »

Best of luck.

Yep, I was a bit shocked at the poor MPG for a 1600 but like you say I didn't buy it for the economy, I bought it for the FUN! :lol:  :lol:

(my 2.0 TDCI Mondeo can do over 50 mpg with ease! :shock: )

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 20:26:55 »
Quote from: "P.R.Howler"
Thinking of putting a Transit 2.5td with 5 speed box in my 413 Lwb, if its not too much messin with wiring. Any thoughts on this folks ???
]

SJ HAS no wiring :)

Seriously, its almost as basic as a series wiring loom :)

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 06:47:22 »
Hi there, there are many diesel engines more suitable than a transit engine. It is far too heavy for an Suzuki and only 70bhp if it is an old one.
Vauxhall Nova, Peugeot 1.7/1.9 and I am sure there are others.
My Samuria has a 1.6 x flow Ford petrol engine, all the power I want for off roading.
Best of luck
www.tv4x4.co.uk
Cheers LuckyTrucker

Offline Mart

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 11:47:03 »
wish mine had a x-flow and some 40's on it lol i'm far more familiar with the simple ford engine with a set of carbs on than that carb if thats what they call it in the sammy, time for a nikki me thinks
Take nothing but photos, Leave nothing but footprints!!!      SUPERSUZUKI owner

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 13:27:15 »
Hi there, there are many diesel engines more suitable than a transit engine. It is far too heavy for an Suzuki and only 70bhp if it is an old one.
Vauxhall Nova, Peugeot 1.7/1.9 and I am sure there are others.
My Samuria has a 1.6 x flow Ford petrol engine, all the power I want for off roading.
Best of luck

Theres more than a couple of nice light high power alloy engines around now too. I would imagine most weight less and are more compact than the power plant you have.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Mr T

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 20:06:35 »
Hey Brummie Lee,
tell me more about these there leaks, my vitara is an 8 valve (i think), it has a constant drip of oil, can't tell where its comin from, cause its all over the side an underneath of the engine.
you know i'm a brumie, but i emigrated to devon. deres more lanes down ere!

Offline P.R.Howler

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 20:19:58 »
The Transit lump/box is free, or Sierra/5 speed for £50 the whole car, so will decide soon, mine will be an every day motor too, so need something with a bit of reliability to it
32 tonne rigid comin' at ya

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 22:26:40 »
Quote from: "Mr T"
Hey Brummie Lee,
tell me more about these there leaks, my vitara is an 8 valve (i think), it has a constant drip of oil, can't tell where its comin from, cause its all over the side an underneath of the engine.

mine seems to loose it from the rocker cover and the dizzy mounting. Rocker cover was cured by re-torqueing then cover bolts. Not done the dizzy yet.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 00:22:39 »
Quote from: "Mr T"
Hey Brummie Lee,

Hi Mr T

I've changed the front crank seal twice (in the oil pump) but it just keeps pushing the oil out. the sump had a thick double bead of silicone around it, which I let semi cure, that also blows  :cry: Had BP round the other day to look at the front drive, thought they'd found a new oil field  :oops:
Lee from Brum

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 06:10:23 »
Hi there, best carb for a Suzie is an SU. Goes up hills without cutting out and I would expect more economical if used on road, no matter what engine it is attached to.
www.tv4x4.co.uk
Cheers LuckyTrucker

Offline Mr T

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 20:22:53 »
You know lee that sounds about right, the sump thingy on me vit has lots of orange silicon stuff in the seal, i pressumed thats where somone has tried to repair it before, and there is definately oil comin from the front a bit further up. dunno what the dizzy is you mentioned? but i can live with a bit of a leak, i'm lucky enough to keep the car in me garage and i shove a piece of cardbord underneath engine, every time i pull it out can see its leaked a bit more! but what i don't understand is; have checked the oil level twice a week since i've had the car (couple of months) and the level doesnt seem to have moved. The problem: my missus would scream the road down if it put a miniscule of oil on the drive, so i have to pull it out of garage, put cardboard underneath, shut door down (can't trust these farmers) down the drive, pick up cardboard, hide from wife,then i'm off.

Offline briane

Attack Member
8v vs. 16v Vitara Engine
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 23:56:49 »
Hi, I've just finished transplanting a 1.9 peugeot diesel & 5speed rwd g'box from an FSO Caro Pick up into my 410 ,bought from e -bay for £150. It goes like stink and is really economical even with the 410 transfer box. It does about 70 flat out which is plenty fast enough, and it crawls up anything on tickover. Biggest problem was the rad. I started with a 214 rover but it was'nt big enough. I've juast fitted a Mitsubushi L220 van rad and it runs fine now.I can recommend this transplant.It took about 4 weekends.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal