AuthorTopic: miss-fire and water usage  (Read 1168 times)

Offline petergalileo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
miss-fire and water usage
« on: June 30, 2006, 20:42:14 »
Even though the wifes freelander had a head gasket change a year ago, its mis-firing and using about 1/2 a pint of water every 500 miles or so,   Is there nothing that can be done about the head gasket problems or is it something I am gonna have to get used to.

Is there no engine I can get for the damn thing so I dont have to worry about this anymore ?

Thanks guys.
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Freelander 1.8 Xi - LR Bodykit, Light Guards.

Offline fudge

Attack Member
  • Green Oval Recovery... Chl 30 Shout Help Im Stuck!
Re: miss-fire and water usage
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 20:48:09 »
Quote from: "petergalileo"
Even though the wifes freelander had a head gasket change a year ago, its mis-firing and using about 1/2 a pint of water every 500 miles or so,   Is there nothing that can be done about the head gasket problems or is it something I am gonna have to get used to.

Is there no engine I can get for the damn thing so I dont have to worry about this anymore ?

Thanks guys.

Obviously you have a similar issue as last time, did the garage that you used last year skim the head? Did they torque the head correctly?

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 20:51:07 »
No idea, only had it 4 weeks, have a receipt dated may 2006 for a new head and gasket £400.  But as I am in Essex and the garage is in Dundee Its not a lot of good really.  If its just a matter of doing the job correctly I can do it myself but if its going to happen again in the near future even if its done right then I will have a re-think.
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Freelander 1.8 Xi - LR Bodykit, Light Guards.

Offline wheelspinner

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 13:13:11 »
£400 seems cheap for a head and gasket repair, the gasket and bolt set is around £100 alone .
I am now on my second rebuild on the wifes freelander, first time kept losing water thought it was the dreaded gasket, turns out the water pump was leaking when under load,still now i know how it all fits together.
Which helped as the new cam belt snapped and lunched the engine the other week.Had the head skimmed and rebuilt just to be be on the safe side (that costs £355).
Suggestions include pressure testing the engine,seeing if theres white deposit under the oil cap,looking bubbling in the expansion tank when its running under load,chemical test (thing like a turkey baster turns blue?), looking for water in the sump,whipping out a plug and seeing what colour it is (plugs ar expensive so be careful).
Owner of a full  size 1000 piece Suzuki jigsaw....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal