AuthorTopic: Timing  (Read 5497 times)

Offline Guy90

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Timing
« on: August 07, 2004, 21:36:05 »
Bored as i am i decided to see if i could time the 2.5N/A engine inmy 90. Set the crankshaft up with a flywheel timing pin. Fuel pump the same. Cam shaft already lined up. Fitted belt and did two complete turns as per the book. Fuel pump and camshaft lined up but crackshaft not. Belt off and set it up again. Belt back on. Was able to about a quarter revolution before it locked solid.

Any ideas why this would be? Had the rocker off and everything looks fine in there.

Guy

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Timing
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 21:37:42 »
Locked solid normally means a valve in contact with a piston....  don't push too hard or you'll bend a pushrod and then you'll have to start messing about with them too.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
Timing
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 21:48:12 »
Tim,

Ahh. What can I do to fix it. Looking at the valves and push rods etc they are all moving up and down correctly but all sit in a dead level line.

Guy

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Timing
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 22:10:34 »
Well, I'm just guessing, but you might have got the camshaft out when you refit it the second time.  The best way is to take the belt off, and check again.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
Timing
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 22:32:22 »
Tim,

I suspect you are right. Tried moving the camshaft clockwise and it moves round easy then hard as it moves each valve but when the dot is lined up with the mark on the timing case it is mid stroke so to speak though a hard bit. This doesn't seem right to me particularly it you move it passed that point until it moves easily again and then the crankshhaft will turn again (a bit).

Will have a go at this tomorrow but I'm guessing i need the camshaft set up so that the pointers match up when No 1 is fully open. Begining to wonder if the garage put it back on in the right place.

Guy

Offline nzrover

Attack Member
Timing
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 00:02:26 »
"In the middle of a hard bit" sounds right.  Given that the timing is at #1 cylinder TDC between compression & firing, #4's valves should be rocking (ie exhaust closing & inlet opening) so the cam will be hard to turn.  Your safest way to sort this out is to line the crank up at TDC, remove the belt, then turn it 1/4 of a turn clockwise to make sure the pistons are all away from TDC,   then line 8the pump up (only ever turn it clockwise or you'll break it).  Now turn the camshaft until it is lined up.  Check where the cam lobes are - #4 should be rocking as above, and #1 should both be closed - If this isn't the case you have a problem and are using the wrong marks.  When you're happy with the position of both the pump and cam, turn the crank back 1/8 turn to line up with it's marks, fit the belt, tension it up and wind it over 2 turns to check.  Good luck - if you have any doubts as to how to do this -  pay for expert help before it gets really expensive.

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
Timing
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 20:20:24 »
Thanks for that. Tried it and all was going well until I refitted the belt and re tensioned it. After about a quarter turn on the crakshaft, it locked solid again.

Off to the garage I think as there seems to be no explanation for the lock up.

Guy

Offline diesel_boy

Attack Member
  • NUTTER
Timing
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 01:42:06 »
hay   guy my offer is still ther if you want some help to get you engine running  any time you  want ill come and have a look .... sam
2door rangie beeing bob'erd    
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/diesel_boy
sam@northants4x4.com

Offline kevinf

Attack Member
timing problem
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 22:53:57 »
just quick suggestion before going to the garage,check the crankshaft gear and woodruff key for wear as this could allow the crank shaft gear to move round the crankshaft especially as the damper pulley has been off,which would normally hold the gear in place hence the problem now being noticed
good luck kevin
the shinny blue defender with the winch,checker plate body protection,extra seating and windows
and at this point I noticed the n/s air vent wasnt fully closed so lets not forget the mud stained interior and the water logged kenwood 6disc cd

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
Timing
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 00:02:57 »
Thanks. Checked it and it's fine. Problem seems to be with a piston hitting a valve at the wrong place. Cam shaft and crankshaft turn fine until you put the belt on and tension it up then it locks solid within 1/4 turn.

Spoke to remanufactures and they said must go to a garage or warranty will be invalid.
In any case I can't be arsed to fix it anymore.

Guy

Offline diesel_boy

Attack Member
  • NUTTER
Timing
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2004, 19:01:39 »
my offer still stands guy  if you want me to look at it
2door rangie beeing bob'erd    
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/diesel_boy