AuthorTopic: ABS light  (Read 678 times)

Offline damian t

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
ABS light
« on: June 24, 2006, 23:46:04 »
Hi all, I went to look at a '94 Rangie Classic today.  It's condition was very good indeed, even though at £2k I was expecting a heap!  Anyway, I didn't have time to go for a test drive, but when I switched her on the ABS light didn't extinguish.  So my question is, should the light go off as soon as the engine is running?

Cheers...
Borens 1st law: If in doubt..... mumble!

ChrisW

ABS light
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 00:00:52 »
If it's anything like the ABS in my disco (same year) then it should go out once you go over 5mph - otherwise there's a fault.

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
ABS light
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 10:51:48 »
Ditto wot Chris says - bulb lights up with ignition as a check that it is working and then should go out once you hit about 5 mph
If that's all that is wrong with it at that price and it's as good as you say then it's still a good buy - of course if light doesn't go out it's a good haggling point ! :wink:
The nice part of living in a small town is that when I don't know what I am doing, someone else does

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
ABS light
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 14:00:56 »
Spot on both of you.  Below 5mph the ABS ECU is in diagnostic mode, you can interogate faults.  Once it sees all 4 wheel sensors count up to 5mph it switches to running mode and can't be interogated.  Shame because you can't see the condition under which faults occur.

Anyway, it's easy peasy to clear the fault in the ABS, yo uneed a peice of wire and some patience.  There's already an article in the workshop (or I'd have written one) and the realy you need to ppull out is under the passenger's seat, the back one of three on the outside edge, it's blue and will click as you remove it if the ignition is on.  The find the blue plug behind the pull down panel and short the black/black-purple wires and count the pullses on the warning light.  When you pull the short wire back out it clears that fault, continue 'till no faults are displayed.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline damian t

Attack Member
ABS light
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 08:24:49 »
Thank you all for your replies.  The only other fault I could see is that the top tailgate would shut properly....... or is that standard?

Laters...
Borens 1st law: If in doubt..... mumble!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal