AuthorTopic: Modifying the spare wheel well  (Read 773 times)

Offline sarah.harwood

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Modifying the spare wheel well
« on: June 22, 2006, 12:48:01 »
Has anyone modified their spare wheel well on their series motors to take a "larger" tyre?  Is so how did you do it - buy it off the shelf or have one made to measure?  Any recommendations and pictures....
Sarah Harwood
Series IIA LWB

Offline rustprooflandyracer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Modifying the spare wheel well
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 17:15:54 »
When I fitted new tyres and wheels, i found that it was far to big for the rear spare wheel carrier, so i made my own using a disco spare wheel carrier... just made some heavy duty spaces using 3 mm steel which go either side of the aluminium door which is seriously thin. Bearing in mind their is some serious weight on holder, so it needs some heavy duty support. I found out of recent that they have started to do it to the 05 / 06 def's fit disco spare wheel carriers, no works a treat and can actually open the rear door using the handle. Benefits all round.
Matt

Land Rover 1983 88'' CSW, CP Parabolics (3 leaf rears), Recon Turner 2 1/4 diesel, BFG Mud terrains on silver mods (235/85/r16), Galvanised chassis, Midland CB fitted, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, Light Bar. Full NAS Lights, Powerflow Exhaust, Twin Hiclones... and some!

Disco 300TDI - BFG AT's, Light Bar... Work in progress!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal