AuthorTopic: Grand Vitara Modifications  (Read 1551 times)

Offline nat_hale

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Grand Vitara Modifications
« on: June 08, 2006, 12:02:43 »
Hi guys,

I've currently got a standard GV1600 which I'm thinking of lightly modifying and using off-road.  I've been looking around and not found a lot specific to the Grand Vitaras, but have seen some small 1 or 1.5 inch suspension lifts, and also a 2.5 or 3 inch Calmini lift kit, complete with all manner of bits to complement the longer springs!

I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about modding GV's, or if anyone knows anyone else who's modded one.  Any problems/drawbacks to look out for?  I read somewhere about anything more than 1.5 inches can damage front drive shafts? Anything other advice... anyone recommend any suppliers? (I think LA Supertrux does the Calmini stuff)

Finally, does anyone know what size tyres would fit with various suspension lifts?

Thanks for any help.
Cheers,
Nat
1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 Tdi S (Cooper ST tyres, 1" lift, heavy duty front & rear bumper, Scorpion Racing detachable towbar, Rebel steering and diff guards, big dent in N/S/R wing!!)
Thames Valley 4x4 Club

Offline CNorman

Attack Member
Re: Grand Vitara Modifications
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:25:29 »
Hi there, just found this in a search, do you stil have the GV.

I have one too and have found out several pieces of information. TBR UK (google it) have Old Man Emu lift springs to give 30mm lift and you can also get them uprated.

Bits for Vits make 30mm spacers which look excellent, http://www.stumpy.me.uk/suspensionlift.htm. Then B4V sell parts to extend the shocks, a;though i would probably buy the OME shocks from TBR, sorry B4V!

B4V also sell spacers for both the front and rear propshafts for around 25 quid which should sort your spacer probs, i have never done this however, along with camber adjustment bolts which are 20quidish.

You can also get all manner of thinbgs from them. The only thing B4V dont seem to do are the skid plates although there are lans on the net to make them your self. You would probably need one of these to protect the aluminium front diff, the skid plates can be pricy for what they are.

I am 25 with full NCB. A quote for mine lifted with oversized tyres was £360, up from £300 so it is not a major prob to ensure as a daily driver and i only got one quote from AF.

Let me know if you have done anything to your GV?

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 18:07:53 »
how oversized are your tyres?
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline nat_hale

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 18:06:18 »
Hi there, no I haven't got the GV any more, at the time I had it there we're many mods available unless you paid silly money, and it was really too good and too new for me to use off-road.  So I sold it and bought a Disco, and the few thousand pounds change has gone on modifying the Disco (always wanted a Land Rover!!).

Shame in some ways, because you don't see many off-road GV's, and now, 18months late, the bits are more available (I watched the build of the Bits 4 Vits GV, Stumpy, with great interest, loved it!)

Cheers,
Nat
1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 Tdi S (Cooper ST tyres, 1" lift, heavy duty front & rear bumper, Scorpion Racing detachable towbar, Rebel steering and diff guards, big dent in N/S/R wing!!)
Thames Valley 4x4 Club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal