AuthorTopic: suzuki clutch I need help!!  (Read 925 times)

Offline shadyadie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
suzuki clutch I need help!!
« on: June 01, 2006, 20:10:41 »
Has anyone got a workshop manual that covers replacing a sj410 clutch (as I have one for range rovers and it is brill) as I am doing the clutch on our Sj410 tomorrow and I find making sense of the haynes manuals very hard.
if you could email me the relavant pages I would dead grateful

Offline SuzukiShrek

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 23:03:34 »
Oh no, not a Haynes manual... you'll be there forever!   :wink:

It's dead easy - DISCONNECT THE BATTERY:
1) undo the propshaft from the input side of the transfer box (4 bolts - don't forget to put a mark on both flanges so it goes back together in the same orientation) and pull it off the back of the gearbox.
2) Undo the four bolts holding the gearbox onto the engine.
3) Undo the starter motor.
4) Pull the gearstick out from in the cab - 4 bolts for the rubber boot and 3 for the retaining ring.

STICK A BLOCK OF WOOD BETWEEN THE DIZZY AND THE BULKHEAD.  This saves the engine rotating downwards making removal and replacement of the gearbox easier.  It also saves damaging the dizzy.  THE BLOCK IS BEST IF IT'S A TIGHT FIT.

4) pull the gearbox towards the rear of the SJ about 6".
5) Undo the bolts around the flywheel (this is the trickiest part as you need to jam the flywheel but ingenuity works here.)
6) prise the plate off equally by working round it.
7) swap the clutch plate (and pressure plate and thrust bearing if you have a complete replacement kit... you should have).
8) replace everything in reverse.

Job done.

This is the easiest way I have found of doing it so far.  But I'm sure there are others that will correct me.   :lol:

Centering the clutch plate can normally be done by hand when you put the pressure plate on.  Just feel around the edges for an equal difference, then keep nipping the bolts up (work diagonally across the plate) until its locked in postion and is still equi-distant all around.  Then tighten them up.

Getting the gearbox back onto the spigot is the trickiest bit but a bit of wiggling and jigling normally works well.  Sometimes another person to rotate the engine by hand using the pulley on the front of the engine helps rock the splines in.  Hopefully the wooden block between the dizzy and bulkhead comes into its own here too.   :wink:

Hope this helps and maybe somebody else will post some other shortcuts.  Go on, you know you want to.
If it aint broke.... break it so I can upgrade it.

If you don't like what I say, please proceed to bang your head against the nearest wall until any such memory of my comments have been erased from your thoughts.

WARNING: Spell checker is OFF, speeling may be erotic.

Offline shadyadie

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 23:16:32 »
I wish I had seen your posting earlier..
haynes had me take off the transfer box and the gear box and forgot to mention disconnecting the hand brake cable.

have everything in bits now as.
auto parts place ordered 2 clutches for me .
1. wrong one
2. right one, but had been fitted and used (score marks from the release bearing on the fingers) he wouldn't sell it me not that I wanted it
3. ordered me another one ( got sent the wrong one)
4. finally got the right one today

I hope I will be able to remember where all the bits go by the time I get chance to do it.

On the bright side if I hadn't taken the transfer box off I wouldn't have drained out the white (special) oil. and found the rubber lever boot had split letting in water.

Offline muddyzook

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 19:33:07 »
Just a couple of point's...

Thanks for the instructions SuzukiShrek I was trying to get the box off and in doing so whould make the following additions to your post

1) Remove the transfer box to front axle prop
2) Remove the middle section of the exhaust
3) Bend the heat plate under the passanger floor pan out of the way

Then the box should just fall out  :D
If you don't know where you are going any road will take you there!

Check our EBAY store for Rear Disc Convesions and other zook mods/extras

Offline TeL200

Attack Member
Vitara Clutch
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 10:12:34 »
Hi, I'm planning on doing my 1992 1.6i Vitara clutch tomorrow
Are the instructions for the SJ the same as for the Vitara?

It's up on axle stands with the propshaft removed from the front diff, & strapped out of the way, Removed the middle section of the exhaust, I just need a few pointers from here as to what else has to be removed/undone for a quick straight foward job

Regards
Tel

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal