AuthorTopic: Anybody fitted a van aaken smartbox to a defender 90  (Read 4920 times)

Offline vtrdaz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Anybody fitted a van aaken smartbox to a defender 90
« on: July 20, 2004, 10:13:42 »
I'm thinking baout fitting one of these smartboxes and wondered if anybody had fitted one.
Do/will they reduce the engines reliability/longevity?
Is the power increase worth the expense?
Any help/veiws on this matter would be appreciated chaps

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 10:17:44 »
I believe Darren Burgess has one fitted to his 300 Tdi Discovery, and seems happy with it.

I have driven the Td5 Defender from Allisport with their equivalent fitted and it's very nice.

I have no experience with the long term effects of them, but the suppliers ought to be able to give you some pointers.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline HiFonics

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 13:42:44 »
What I have gathered from various sources is that ideally you want to fit an intercooler before you fit a powerchip due to it reducing the chances of a big bang.

I guess a lot of how you drive it will affect the reliability of he vehicle. I have heard of people talking about problems with head gaskets. The common problem with vehicles with the powerchip fitted tends to be the exhaust manifold leaking, I dont know what sort of cost is involved fixing this.

The chips and intercooler combination does make a huge difference. Someone I know has a 1999 TD5 110 thats done over 100k miles and it still flies along with its chip and intercooler.

Whoever you choose to do your vehicle I would make sure you drive a vehicle they have done to see if you like it or not.

Cheers,

Ben
99 Defender 90 TD5
04 Defender 110 TD5

Offline vtrdaz

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 17:06:16 »
thanks chaps - think i'm sort of thinking it might be a bad/costly idea to fit one of these if the engine goes bang a few months/years down the line

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal