AuthorTopic: Door lock problem - not spring!!  (Read 411 times)

Offline defuzz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Door lock problem - not spring!!
« on: May 29, 2006, 12:33:45 »
Hello first of all I apologise for mosting this on multiple boards (LRO,MudClub,DOC) but its got me totally baffled.  Secondly sorry its long

1990 Discovery 200tdi

Some months ago I replaced the driver side lock spring so I know it is not at fault this time......

Last week, the outside handle on drivers door started working only intermittently, it would take lots of tugs to get it to open.  Some days later it stopped working completely resulting in having to climb in on passenger side to open with inside drivers door handle.

Yesterday I took off the door upholstry and first made sure everything as liberally WD40'd.  Upon investigation it seemed the outide handle was not pulling up the linkage enough to open the mechanism.  On the bottom of te linkage is a little screw device to shorten or lengthen the linkage, it was totally seized so I couldn't adjust it, in the end I straightened the top of the linkage (where it connects to the handle) and rebent it about half a centimetre further along so the link between handle and lock was effectively shorter.  I tested it and it appeared to work just fine.

I didn't lock the door until later that day and upn unlocking I found the outside door handle no longer worked but horror - the inside one didn't either.

I managed to open it eventually by opening the mechanism direct after removing the door cover again.

Heres what I know

-I've disconnected the central locking servos etc
-With the linkage to the outside handle connected, both inside and out handles operate fine.
-upon locing the unlocking (through outside or in) both handles stop working
-if I disconnect the linkage twixt outer handle and lock, the inner handle works again.
-If I return the outer door linkage to its earlier length it si the same as it is now, does not return to previous problem

This is very long winded I'm sorry- thats just the way my brain works in describing the problem.

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Any ideas?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal