AuthorTopic: series ll disco  (Read 4634 times)

Offline v8kenny

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
series ll disco
« on: May 28, 2006, 21:57:08 »
Evening chaps
I have managed to find some spare dosh and I am considering buying an early series ll disco (probably 98/99, 2000/01, no later)
Will probably go for a diesel (yuech) unless I can find a V8 lpg in my price range either will need to be manual (or the diesel anyway)
Anyone got one or have any opinions on them - all comments gratefully received
Oh better add I already have a 90, a 110 and a classic r/r so need to warble on about the pros and cons of landrover ownership !  :D
The nice part of living in a small town is that when I don't know what I am doing, someone else does

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
series ll disco
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 23:10:11 »
OK......

from the top

oil in injector loom spreading to the ECU giving a miss & poor performance,

front shock bushes going after 40k (rattles about for n aft)
ACE pipes leaking along with ACE block
check the flywheel has either been changed (recall) or its outwith the batch with the dodgy flywheels
rear brake calipers can stick
fuel leaks from filter housing/filter bottom & fuel block on engine,(crawl underneath & look up at the starter,if its damp/dripping with fuel then fuel block needs changed)

abs/HD/TC lights on,if all 3 are on its a sensor thats spat the dummy,can change the sensor but 9/10 need a new hub @ circa £200

steering box's leaking,Tbox & G box leaks ALA disco 1 & defenders

if theres a knock/clunk from underneath could be either ARB bushes or the shock bushes

cant think of anything else
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 00:13:47 »
Thanks Mikee
That will keep me busy when I start looking !
Anyone got any views on how they drive compared to disco 1's ?
My only knowledge of discos is an old '93 V8 auto I had a few years back before swapping it for a 90
Also heard that build quality and rust are not as bad on disco ll models but I find that hard to beleive - they are landrovers after all :lol:
The nice part of living in a small town is that when I don't know what I am doing, someone else does

Offline Tigger

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 09:20:55 »
I loved my Td5 Disco, I found it handled better overall than the Disco 1.

Td5 is a good engine, but they do have their problems as Mike has mentioned.  If you are planning to use it off road / modify it at all, then I'd suggest going for a base model with coil springs only and no ACE.   You lose a bit of refinement in the handling, but the potential for ongoing cost is much less.
Tigger

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 13:12:32 »
Thanks Tim
I must admit the "newness" (is that a word ?) scares me a bit - the three I've got just now are 20, 15 and 13 years old but at least you can tinker with them
Probably won't be modifying or taking off road, will leave all that to the old uns
Will I be waving goodbye to servicing at home or can you still DIY - don't fancy dealer prices for servicing

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
series ll disco
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 13:26:01 »
Quote from: "RedlineMike"
OK......

from the top

check the flywheel has either been changed (recall) or its outwith the batch with the dodgy flywheels
fuel leaks from filter housing/filter bottom & fuel block on engine,(crawl underneath & look up at the starter,if its damp/dripping with fuel then fuel block needs changed)

abs/HD/TC lights on,if all 3 are on its a sensor thats spat the dummy,can change the sensor but 9/10 need a new hub @ circa £200

if theres a knock/clunk from underneath could be either ARB bushes or the shock bushes

your not a salesman are you mike  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline Tigger

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 14:55:00 »
Absolutely nothing to stop you servicing the Disco 2 at home... it's just a vehicle like any other...  

Vehicle diagnostics are the main thing you will need help with, but repairs can be undertaken by any good mechanic (be that DIY, independant or Franchised)

If you want something to keep that you can work on yourself, I'd still advise steering clear of the SLS / ACE vehicles...   not much to go wrong with a coil spring ;-)
Tigger

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 15:05:41 »
That being said, though Tim, ACE is dead good on a road car!

H

Offline Tigger

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 15:06:26 »
Absolutely...  it's just very expensive if it breaks.   :?
Tigger

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
series ll disco
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 23:10:59 »
Quote from: "beast5680"
OK......

from the top

your not a salesman are you mike  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

maybe  :wink:

just seen some o the above & learn something new everytime one come sin on a wagon  :roll:
Mike

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
series ll disco
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 23:13:16 »
OK......

from the top

also if iy hesitates in 4th/5th accerating from 45mph upwards in 4th & 65 upwards in 5th & feels like its lacking some puff,its probably the wastegate stuck so it over boosts & goes into limphome,had that today on a defender & took 15 min to fix
Mike

Offline suggs

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 23:09:52 »
i had a TD5 manuel was a good car but im not keen on diesels other than for off road, i swoped my TD5 for a 4.0 V8 auto and love it defo best car ive had but i dont do a lot of miles so mpg isnt an issue, however if you do go for the TD5 what ever you do dont drive the V8 as you wont want to drive the TD5 again...

H
modded 90

V8 Disco 2 ES premium for the Mrs

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 23:58:02 »
Quote from: "suggs"
i had a TD5 manuel was a good car but im not keen on diesels other than for off road, i swoped my TD5 for a 4.0 V8 auto and love it defo best car ive had but i dont do a lot of miles so mpg isnt an issue, however if you do go for the TD5 what ever you do dont drive the V8 as you wont want to drive the TD5 again...

H

Know what you mean........................got a V8 110 pick up and a V8 classic r/r and my last 110 was a V8  oh and the one before that - need I go on........................................................................  :D

the loon

series ll disco
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 00:01:53 »
if you go with V8 and LPG dont get caught like I did when I bought my first land rover....
Make sure you get the saftey certificate for the LPG as its really difficult/impossible to get insurance.

the loon

series ll disco
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 00:03:18 »
if you go with V8 and LPG dont get caught like I did when I bought my first land rover....
Make sure you get the saftey certificate for the LPG as its really difficult/impossible to get insurance.
Took 6 months and eventual thret of court action to get that resolved with the crooked car dealers.

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 23:08:37 »
Right - bit of an update
Went shopping yesterday with SWMBO and on the way back spotted a nice red GS TD5 outside a peugeot(how do you spell that - this is my 3rd attempt) garage
Popped in for a look  - turns out disco belongs to a friend of garage owner and he agreed to sell it for him
2001 model
1 owner
FSH
68000 miles
7 seater
MOT till Dec but garage will put fresh ticket on it
Will be serviced too
Never had a tow bar but garage will supply twin socket kit FOC if I fit it
Will also supply cross bars for roof rails as originals are missing
Will also put a new set of tyres on as originals are well down
All I have to do now is pluck up the courage to say yes - going to sleep on it and let them know tomorrow

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
series ll disco
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 08:23:08 »
We have one that age & model, just out of interest how much are they asking  :?: ,

John.
John.

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 08:32:29 »
Hi John
Bit complicated cos theres a trade in involved - screen price was 9995
and got him down to 9500 with him giving me 1500 trade in for my 1990 V8 rr classic so I suppose the answer is 9995 with me getting 1950 as a trade in which seems fair enough to me.
Do you reckon this is a reasonable price and have there been any issues with yours that would be of interest to me ?

Kenny

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
series ll disco
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 09:17:25 »
Hi, bought our's as a total loss two years ago, paid £7,300 but only owed me £9,000 when finished (plus 3 months of hard graft),
Only problems i've had are the fuel block which mike mentioned (easy job),
One front brake calliper seized (easy job)
One of the front ABS sensor's has packed up (will do that next week),

Screen price seeem's very good to me as i've seen them upto £14,000 on an Xreg :shock: , ou'r is a 2001 Y reg, but as i had to put a new front end on i put the 2003 front end with the later light's ect, would have to fight swmbo to get it of now :wink: ,

Hope this help's & you enjoy you new disco,

John.
John.

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 12:43:37 »
Thanks John
Told garage this morning I'll be having it so will pick up later next week when they have had time to do the tyres and service etc.
Here's a pic from garages website - not very good one mind

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
series ll disco
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 12:52:24 »
Look's nice, think you got a bargain there,

John.
John.

Offline Daz800

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 19:39:50 »
nice one and at a low price.
I paid 14k for my 2001 (51 plate) last nov from a main stealer.

Darryl
2001 Td5 Gs7 Dressed in black, got it for the wife.....Honest
I wash the car,she does the dishes.
I fill it up, she drives it.

1987 landrover 90 with a 2.3 petrol (11h)  powerplant..mine all mine...now with duel fuel
cb radio
spot/roof lights
750x16 tyres or 205s
home made light bar
Ep9 superwinch
5kw 240volt inverter

1991 vfr750
1990 gl1500 goldwing

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 23:14:54 »
Well I look forward to the joys of discovery driving next week and time will tell if it was a good deal or not
Hoping so mind - had a good poke about during test drive and couldn't find much wrong except a damp patch around the bottom of the steering drop arm which they said they would sort

Offline mac

Attack Member
Series II Disco
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 10:57:25 »
Changed my 300TDi on Saturday for a 51 plate TD5 GS with 45000 on the clock and paid £13750 what a difference in the drive   :-)  must check through that list though!
Mac,  2010 Freelander 2 XS
2001 bog standard TD5 Disco - gone
1995 TDi 300 Disco - gone
1970 MGB Roadster

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 13:00:29 »
Glad to here you noticed a difference Mac - would hate to part with that kind of money and find it the same :D
Here's hoping we both have years of trouble free motoring....................... :wink:

Offline toger

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 15:06:50 »
Go shopping for a D2 and then test drive a new D3 that you can or can't afford :(
Regards
Toger
2001 Disco2 Td5
www.onthelashwithtoger.com

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 19:53:10 »
Evening chaps
Picked the disco up this weekend and took it for a nice long run today
Surprised how well it went and how quiet it is for a diesel (that's a sentence I thought I would never write ! )
Couldn't really fault the car at all - apart from an annoying rattle somewhere in the back - turns out it was the strop with 2 shackles attached that I had chucked in the rear door pocket out of the rangie   :oops:
Heres a nice shiney picture I took today and thanks for your advice and words of wisdom
OH - anyone know what colour that is ?

the loon

series ll disco
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2006, 21:11:17 »
red  :!:

well someone had to do it

No seriously though
Colour should be on VIN plate or info plate in front of engine bay - mines a 200 series one and its located just to the left of bonet catch

Offline Spooky

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 17:59:12 »
Quote from: "V8Kenny"

Having run that registration number through Microcat, it comes up as Alveston Red Micatallic.

Strangely enough, the Chassis number associated with that registration is 22 cars earlier than my W-reg example; both vehicles being manufactured in March 2000 ... work that one out! :shock:
Regards,
Mick Ghost

2000 Td5 ES, named 'Dixie'
Shiny Blue Crew 017

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
series ll disco
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 18:31:34 »
Quote from: "Spooky"
Quote from: "V8Kenny"

Having run that registration number through Microcat, it comes up as Alveston Red Micatallic.

Strangely enough, the Chassis number associated with that registration is 22 cars earlier than my W-reg example; both vehicles being manufactured in March 2000 ... work that one out! :shock:

Thanks Mike - could only find a 3 or 4 digit code for colour under bonnet so at least I know what it's called now !
Funny how it was never registered for nearly a year - though it was first registered in Aberdeen and they are notoriously tight up there - maybe waiting on a good dealer discount  :lol:
Thanks again

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal