AuthorTopic: Failed the MOT test  (Read 1371 times)

Offline andygod

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Birmingham and surrounding areas regional Rep
  • Referrals: 0
Failed the MOT test
« on: May 25, 2006, 15:42:48 »
Failed my MOT yesterday on the following :(

Rear OS & NS break pipes corroded
Fuel leak (petrol) from rear OS pipe
play in the front OS wheel bearing

All now repaired and back in for another MOT today 8)

First MOT cost £40.00
Parts £5.50
Second MOT £30.00

What a rip off for return tests, I took the vehicle beck less than 24hrs after the original test, the vehicle had done 1/2 mile between tests. :x
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum and jolly bad eggs are we

ChrisW

Failed the MOT test
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 17:04:11 »
Ye should give em the BLACK SPOT  :evil:

Offline Dave

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
Failed the MOT test
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 18:54:11 »
The garage i use is very good free retest up till 14 days last time they had the car all day thought. This time with the disco rang me to fetch it back in about 2 hours all done. Shop about there are still some realistic garages about but there getting thin on the ground now.
DAVE
MUD-CLUB MEMBER 333

Disco TDI 1998
 Disco TDI 1993    K333 MUD
 Disco TDI 1994
 90  N/A soon to be TDI 1993
 Series 3 1971
 R33 Skyline GTS-T

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
Failed the MOT test
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 20:17:15 »
god ! u had to pay for a re-test  :shock:  i didnt  :shock:  and this is under the new regs !

my 90 failed 2 times both for the same thing  :P

give him a tellin off 3rd time tho....worked... it passed  :lol:
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline andygod

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Birmingham and surrounding areas regional Rep
Failed the MOT test
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 20:25:48 »
Just found this on an MOT web site & thought that it may be of some interest.

DEFENDER ANTI-ROLL BARS
I was wondering whether you could help with the following, or put me in
touch with someone who can give advice? Some Land Rover Defender drivers remove or disconnect their rear anti-roll bars to help improve rear wheel articulation (indeed, a lot of Defenders don't have them fitted). But we've heard from a reader that the MOT rules are due to change and this would result in a failure. Is this correct? John Pearson, Editor-in-Chief, Land Rover Owner International magazine.
I am unaware of any changes to the MOT regarding Landrover Defenders’ anti-roll bars. In any event anti-roll bars are not Tested in the MOT so it is difficult to see how their being removed would have any effect. – MOTT.
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum and jolly bad eggs are we

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
Failed the MOT test
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 22:38:19 »
Quote from: "andygod"
Just found this on an MOT web site & thought that it may be of some interest.

DEFENDER ANTI-ROLL BARS
I was wondering whether you could help with the following, or put me in
touch with someone who can give advice? Some Land Rover Defender drivers remove or disconnect their rear anti-roll bars to help improve rear wheel articulation (indeed, a lot of Defenders don't have them fitted). But we've heard from a reader that the MOT rules are due to change and this would result in a failure. Is this correct? John Pearson, Editor-in-Chief, Land Rover Owner International magazine.
I am unaware of any changes to the MOT regarding Landrover Defenders’ anti-roll bars. In any event anti-roll bars are not Tested in the MOT so it is difficult to see how their being removed would have any effect. – MOTT.

Yep, correct  :shock: The only time they'll fail is if the link is broken as it may fall off (in their professional opinion) As with bump stops, if one is missing they will fail. But if you remove the plate from the missing one and also remove the good one, it'll pass  :shock: good init  :lol:
Lee from Brum

Edge

Re: Failed the MOT test
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 15:59:56 »
Quote from: "andygod"
Failed my MOT yesterday on the following :(

Rear OS & NS break pipes corroded
Fuel leak (petrol) from rear OS pipe
play in the front OS wheel bearing

All now repaired and back in for another MOT today 8)

First MOT cost £40.00
Parts £5.50
Second MOT £30.00

What a rip off for return tests, I took the vehicle beck less than 24hrs after the original test, the vehicle had done 1/2 mile between tests. :x

Change garages........ my garage tells me whats needed before the MOT :D .

Offline thumbs

Attack Member
Failed the MOT test
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 17:57:25 »
my mate does my mot, gets put on the ramps regular at his garage so i no whats up with it before he actually pumps the number in these new fangled computer systems and gives me a pass
thumbs

v8 landrover hybrid - is mad fun!

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
Failed the MOT test
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 18:35:09 »
It seems expensive, but as the garage had to log back on for a full hour to re-mot your truck(Ministrys directions, not the garages) and are unable to MOT another vehicle until yours has completed its time slot, then you can understand the charge. You have any idea how much it costs to run a ramp+mot test area+Technician etc for 1 hour   .....?

Its not the garage you need to swap, but the Ministry of Transport you need to complain to.

The recent changes have hit customers and garages alike. We have more annoyed customers about retests etc, and have lost so much revenue due to the enforced log ins and time allotments.

Rolla
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline Hangover

Attack Member
Failed the MOT test
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 23:04:05 »
Quote from: "rollazuki"

Its not the garage you need to swap, but the Ministry of Transport you need to complain to.

Rolla

Yes mate i agree 100%,i have a small garage bussiness myself,i have to explain the situation to people when they ask me to do a MOT for them as i have to take the vehicle to a MOT garage for it to be done,free re-tests as such are a thing of the past other than when the MOT centre does the repairs,generally if the vehicle is repaired(other than minor items) elsewhere and is then returned to the MOT garage and no charge is made you can bet somebody is risking their liscence.
Kev

Offline drmike

Attack Member
Failed the MOT test
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 20:44:39 »
I thought there was a list of things you can fail on that doesn't require a full retest such as lights, fuel cap - my local guy said basically stuff where spanners don't get involved otherwsie a full one slot retest and they can charge at their discretion.

I agree don't change garage change government!

Mike

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
Failed the MOT test
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 21:40:43 »
its even better, what about when the minestry's network goes down and every mot test station in the country comes to a standstill  :shock: my friend reckond he lost about a grands worth of taking for them two days when the network was down
so the goverment slipped up there got no money ! theiving b****** , hopefuly a few more will happen and they will go back to the old system cos the new one sucks for everyone including the garages
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal