AuthorTopic: You think your turbo is big?  (Read 827 times)

Offline strapping young lad

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
You think your turbo is big?
« on: May 20, 2006, 22:30:29 »
go have a butchers at my gallery (latest pictures uploaded)

a mazda rx7 has a turbo so big n heavy it has its own chassis mount and the other is nice n pink in an R34 skyline gt-r

both unfiltered and go like stink (saw them shift round castle combe today)

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 22:47:16 »
Big turbo sounds like a recipe for big lag - are you sure that this is not more show than go! :wink:

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 23:02:57 »
dunno but they take off like nobody's business and the dump valve can be heard from a fair distance

these are jap HKS turbos and cost an absolute fortune (i think one skyline has 1000bhp)

rx7 btw is rotary not piston so it probably works in a different way

looks mint though

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 23:14:22 »
Turbo size directly effects lag.

theres a lot of tricks you can use to reduce it, running it underboosted is one and the same way Audi do it on mine.

Turbo Lag is the delay from the change in engine speed and shaft speed of the turbo, ergo lag from increase in speed to boost pressure. Smaller turbs mean less lag but less pressure, biggers ones mean more lag and more boost.

Superchargers however do not suffer lag ;) There are also dual/multistage systems that use two turbos to reduce lage and for big big bucks theres variable turbine geometry too :)

HKS gear you pary for the name. The only comapny you need to know about for turbos is Garrett :) The Expence comes when you realise (as I did) that your exhaust was never supposed to take that kind of punishment and bits melt.

Heres a Lotus V8 Giving it some :
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 08:27:54 »
i dont have a turbo anymore and in my disco i never noticed the advantage so i couldnt say from experience but they look mint

oh and the engines dont leak oil ;)

Offline waveydavey

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 12:15:49 »
We have quite large turbo's onboard, the rotors are about two foot diamiter and the casing 6-8. Two of those on each of the four engines.
The big turbines are the two gas turbines though!
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

Offline Mart

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 14:51:19 »
or you could run full anti lag system like the rally boys use which keeps the turbo spinning at full speed during gear change so when you come back on power its there instantly, a lot of the cossie boys use anti lag systems to get mega horsepower.

when you watch any rallying and see the exhaust pop a flame its normally the unburnt fuel from the anti lag spinning at full speed then when the power comes back on bang unburnt fuel ignited big flame out of the exhaust.

hope i explained that right
Take nothing but photos, Leave nothing but footprints!!!      SUPERSUZUKI owner

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 16:15:17 »
sounds bout right

a couple of skylines were flaming but one particular scooby was going so fast i couldnt pan fast enough to catch him on my phone!  :shock:

good day out though, next one is in donington park in sept.

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 16:17:02 »
Quote from: "Mart"
or you could run full anti lag system like the rally boys use which keeps the turbo spinning at full speed during gear change so when you come back on power its there instantly, a lot of the cossie boys use anti lag systems to get mega horsepower.

when you watch any rallying and see the exhaust pop a flame its normally the unburnt fuel from the anti lag spinning at full speed then when the power comes back on bang unburnt fuel ignited big flame out of the exhaust.

hope i explained that right

yup
& change the turbo every 2nd event as it will make the turbo go pop
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline smo

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 16:18:56 »
Quote from: "Evilgoat"
Turbo size directly effects lag.

theres a lot of tricks you can use to reduce it, running it underboosted is one and the same way Audi do it on mine.

Turbo Lag is the delay from the change in engine speed and shaft speed of the turbo, ergo lag from increase in speed to boost pressure. Smaller turbs mean less lag but less pressure, biggers ones mean more lag and more boost.

Superchargers however do not suffer lag ;) There are also dual/multistage systems that use two turbos to reduce lage and for big big bucks theres variable turbine geometry too :)

HKS gear you pary for the name. The only comapny you need to know about for turbos is Garrett :) The Expence comes when you realise (as I did) that your exhaust was never supposed to take that kind of punishment and bits melt.

This is true, however superchargers have a leeching effect from the engine @ all revs, but particually at lower ones as they suck power through the drive system.

As for variable turbine geometry its pretty standard on modern cars, almost all diesels use it these days :)
'04 90 TD5 - Written off :(

200TDi 90 Hardtop

TD5 North Offroad D-Lander coming soon!!!!

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 19:49:36 »
the supercharger was invented before the turbo charger :idea:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal