AuthorTopic: Flaming 'eck... sort it out !  (Read 966 times)

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Flaming 'eck... sort it out !
« on: July 11, 2004, 21:50:19 »
As some of you may now know, Tigger suffered an engine bay fire on the way to the Beaulieu show.

As a result, I have had loads of people say to me "I really ought to get an extinguisher for mine"

<climbs onto soapbox>

YES... GET ON WITH IT !!  

Not having an extinguisher in the car is just asking for trouble.   A fire like mine in the engine bay will spread into the passenger compartment and into the rest of the vehicle in *seconds* not minutes.

Get a decent unit... don't buy a cheap, small one.  A 1kg powder won't put out very much.

A 40 quid extinguisher prevented the loss of my entire Land Rover...  you do the maths.

Before you buy a diff guard, a suspension lift, those nice tyres, whatever....  get an extinguisher and a decent first aid kit..... then learn how to use them BOTH......  properly.

<climbs down>
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 22:35:25 »
Sorry to hear that Tim.

what caused it?
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 22:37:28 »
Not sure yet.... only got back from the show this evening.

Got a day to strip and rebuild it ready for the trip to Billing, so hopefully I'll know more soon.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 22:42:51 »
Sounds like no one was injured which is the main thing.

And yes I do carry a fire extinguisher and first aid kit, you never know  :shock:
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Hinckley, Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 22:50:45 »
Sorry to hear about this,

I carry both, My extinguisher is getting a little old now.!!
I think I will put it on the top of my '' To do '' list.  :wink:
Paul Wright

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 23:05:00 »
Paul, looks like that service on the bearings is a definate, If I get one on the blink, I do at least an axle at a time.

I noticed a squeak on one of my fronts today when putting a little lef on the wheel, with the disco. Only a little one, but looks like I'll be attacking min in the next 10 days before I go on my hols. Serviced it up on fluids and brakes yesterday. just the hubs and bearings to yank off and prob replace.

I was having probs with the lightweight the  other day,  wouldn't run  on gas for love not money.

Found out why yesterday, the main positive feed from the battery was welded to a piece of the old oil bath filter cradle

Luckily apart from a absolutely dead beyond use battery, it was ok,, I can only put it down to the fact that the isolator switch on the vehicle which I switch off automatically when leaving the wagon, prevented the burn out of my electrics. but also the pos and neg leads did not even burn out the sheathing, crazy, but lucky!

kev
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal