AuthorTopic: 3" lift kit  (Read 963 times)

Offline BirminghamBros

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
3" lift kit
« on: May 13, 2006, 23:33:45 »
Hi i've got a range rover classic and i've just fitted a 3" lift kit to it. Since doing this i've noticed a loud knocking noise coming from the front whenever you turn the wheel when driving along! Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
3" lift kit
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 07:25:54 »
First of all, i dont think the front uj on the prop will be too happy. Your normally pushing it with a 2" lift. Go from there and see what you get.

Did you use Castor correction arms from QT services. The are highly recommended on here. :)

Hope this helps. :D

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Re: 3" lift kit
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 09:35:14 »
Quote from: "BirminghamBros"
Hi i've got a range rover classic and i've just fitted a 3" lift kit to it. Since doing this i've noticed a loud knocking noise coming from the front whenever you turn the wheel when driving along! Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

My first suggestion would be the front prop.  By lifting the front end you increase the angle that the prop shafts have to operate up and they start "binding".  Get a lego uj and try operating it at funny angles if you want an example of what this means.

Castor correction won't help in this particular case, indeed it will make matters worse as it will increase teh angle that the front props have to run at.   My suggestion would be to look for a cardon prop as fitted to the TD5 discoveries and available from most good off road places (d44 et al).

They aren't cheap (around £150 ISTR) but have an alternative design of joint on them which can operate at a higher angle and stop the prop binding up.  This should hopefully reduce the noise.

That is the "correct" solution.  The cheaper solution would be to check the condition of the front prop shaft UJs,  they may just need servicing, greasing or replacing as the additional strain post lift has sent them over the edge as it were.
--

Offline BirminghamBros

Attack Member
3" lift kit
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 12:03:09 »
Ok thanks I'll have a look out for one of them and let you know how i get on. Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal