AuthorTopic: 2 inch lift help  (Read 871 times)

Offline dminto69

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2 inch lift help
« on: May 05, 2006, 21:08:21 »
hi all , i have just fitted a 2 inch lift kit to my disco today question that i have to ask is , dont know what the name of the parts called so im guessing here wishbone that joins to the rear axle to the chasis i beleive do you have to modify this as the ride is very hard , i know its not going to be the same as before and will get used to it but thought it might be worth asking thanks very much
disco 2.5tdi on a n plate

Offline J B

Attack Member
2 inch lift help
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 21:26:58 »
what kit have you fitted ??

when i first fitted mine the ride felt very harsh to start with, but over time it has softened up, and ive added the extra weight of a winch and bumper since, which helped it further
300tdi disco

Offline dminto69

Attack Member
2 inch lift help
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 21:34:31 »
hi
i fitted one from paddocks the cost of it was 371.00 all in the springs r yellow and i have got pro clamp 9000
disco 2.5tdi on a n plate

Offline fram

Attack Member
2 inch lift help
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 23:24:00 »
Just fitted exactly the same lift to ours and had no problems with the ride quality. Mind you, she was sitting on a 3" box section lift before and felt like a boat to drive, so our ride quality has actually inproved somewhat :lol:

As jon boy says, it should soften up a bit in time, but don't forget your new springs and shocks are heavier duty, so it is very unlikely you will ever get the same ride you had before.

Might be worth thinking about a pollybush kit, if you've got worn bushes then replacing them might make things a bit better.
Katie, Green 200tdi Disco

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
2 inch lift help
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 03:37:37 »
You mean the rear A frame that sits on top of the rear axle right?  

You're barking up the wrong tree, very few of us have done anything to that part, even with serious mods.

The reason your ride is harder is 2 fold

1) your old shocks were goosed and your springs were tired.  After as little as 30,000 miles suspension components are past their best.

2) to keep the car under control whilst that much further off the floor, the new springs are uprated, by about 25% typically.  That's why it's better to fit new springs than spring spacers IMHO. The dampers are also uprated a little, but then the Armstrong ones aren't that bad actually, when new.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline bullfrog

Attack Member
2 inch lift help
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 23:15:56 »
Do discos have self levelling damper ?
If so I would bin it as its set for standard height and will pull back of car down.
The yellow springs are britpart and are ok for starter lift.
I have heard they do soften up after a bit so will prob be ok. :)

Offline G

Attack Member
2 inch lift help
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 21:52:27 »
I fitted a padocks 2" lift and 9000 shocks. The ride is fine, better than before due to the knackered shocks. I've fitted rear (top) dislocation cones which make a right racket and removed the anti roll bars. You shouldn't have a harsh ride unless you have fitted the kit for winch equiped vehicles to a car without a winch (harder front springs) BUT, they'll soften up in time anyway. G

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal