AuthorTopic: FREELANDER RUNS HOT , NO WAIT NORMAL , NO WAIT HOT AGAIN !!  (Read 1458 times)

Offline wurzel0747

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Hi all , first time for a question !
Hope you all can help .
Problem is with my 1.8 1999 Freelander.
I inherited the vehicle from a family member.(we can not ask him if he had any problems with it, well not unless we hire a medium) We have a 10ft 1 tonne box trailer, (should be ok for a Landrover , should'nt it ??).Anyway after 5 miles on the motorway imagine my suprise as I watched the temp gauge twizzle round to the red !I slowed , stopped and waited 2mins.The gauge dropped as soon as I took my foot of the gas.It almost acted like a rev counter.The coolent was being lost from the header tank cap.I replaced both cap and tank.I asked the garage that the car was bought from.They assured me that the head gasket has been replaced and the laughed at me for having the freelander 1.8 petrol !
I can see no sign of water loss or evidence of head gasket failure.I have bled the thing , as best I can anyhow.
The heater does sometimes blow cold even when the header cap is steaming like a kettle.The fans kick in , and sometimes the car does not overheat for 20 miles with the trailer on, other timers I can control the temp by keeping very very low revs.Prime example, I took the trailer and vehicle out last night , within 2 miles vehicle was severly overheating,I did the normal thing , stopped waited 2 mins and set of v slowly , every time I went above 30 mph the gauge shot up.I limped to my destination with the gauge up and down.Yet on the way back the gauge sat at the 4 o clock position.Cant be a faulty gauge , cuz it is overheating and spitting out the cap.
I am [!Expletive Deleted!] if I know , I have heard that Landrover will fit some type of mod to the thermostat placement.Bad design fault , or so I have heard.
(how do I stand on paying them for fixing a problem that should not have left the designers table? !)If anyone has any suggestions ,please let me know..
I am no mechanic , but I have been a driver in the Army for the last 18 yrs , I have had Landrovers up to the window wipers in mud , gravel sand and [!Expletive Deleted!] !Surely IFOR WILLIAMS  cant do what IRAQ desert has tried and failed !Let me know guys , or girls !
Thanks !
wurzel :   :D

Offline more x 4

Attack Member
FREELANDER RUNS HOT , NO WAIT NORMAL , NO WAIT HOT AGAIN !!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 13:15:30 »
sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate,but you're head's gone,blowing cold while spitting steam :roll:
you might get away with a new gasket,but get the head tested for cracks and warpage :wink:
the two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity

home of the flying pajero
with red ali///art mudflaps

Offline Hightower

Attack Member
Re: FREELANDER RUNS HOT , NO WAIT NORMAL , NO WAIT HOT AGAI
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 13:21:42 »
Quote from: "wurzel0747"
I asked the garage that the car was bought from.They assured me that the head gasket has been replaced and the laughed at me for having the freelander 1.8 petrol !

My local independant won't touch petrol Freebies unless he really has to.

But back to your post, sounds like the head gasket has gone, sorry  :(
Simon
1998 Disco Series II Td5 - Not standard
1972 88" Series 3 - The project

Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
1st Overall - 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005
3rd Overall - 2007

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal